Bestiary as a Core Game Mechanic

Great news, it would be hassle to have to deal with it all the time :)

Maybe bring flashback or legacy into standard? That would be fun :)

Art
Just curious, will the nets we have move to standard (even though they will serve no function), or will they be removed from our inventories at the end of the league? I kinda want to keep some as a memento...
"
V1kingsfan wrote:
Just curious, will the nets we have move to standard (even though they will serve no function), or will they be removed from our inventories at the end of the league? I kinda want to keep some as a memento...
I can't recall an instance of GGG actually removing items from the game that aren't kiwihalt levels of bugged. They'll be fine - I still have tabs of leaguestones from Legacy.

Last edited by Hemmingfish on May 17, 2018, 1:06:26 PM
Thanks for the reply! I also saw that some people are selling nets in standard so it should be safe to assume that they are here to stay.
"
alhazred70 wrote:
http://steamcharts.com/app/238960

Fact: Bestiary has the second highest peak concurrency of all leagues at 81k though it was sharper as the table flipping clear speeders wet themselves all over reddit and doubtlessly colored a lot of peoples view of the league.

Not a fact, actually: you can't use the graph above, because it "culls" data points in a dumb way after they're a month or two old, only showing an AVERAGE for that month, rather than the PEAK.

Rather, trust the sub-graph (used for narrowing the view) which doesn't condense the data like that. Or, y'know, average the February data and realize that when all's said and done, Steam Charts will report "Bestiary" as having a peak of something like 37,984. That's outright laughable!

"
alhazred70 wrote:
Should it have been dropped 100% as a sacrifice to the casuals Chris Wilson wants to sweet talk back into the game?

It's hilarious that you insult other players as "casuals" when you've never even gotten to 30 challenges once... Hell, you've not even faced one of the endgame bestiary bosses yet! It's amusing to see this level of white-knighting, really.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
ACGIFT wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:

Fact: Bestiary has the second highest peak concurrency of all leagues at 81k though it was sharper as the table flipping clear speeders wet themselves all over reddit and doubtlessly colored a lot of peoples view of the league.

Not a fact, actually: you can't use the graph above, because it "culls" data points in a dumb way after they're a month or two old, only showing an AVERAGE for that month, rather than the PEAK.

Rather, trust the sub-graph (used for narrowing the view) which doesn't condense the data like that. Or, y'know, average the February data and realize that when all's said and done, Steam Charts will report "Bestiary" as having a peak of something like 37,984. That's outright laughable!
There is nothing wrong with the graph nor with the interpretation of alhazred70.
Even if picking the "laughable" 37,984 of the month's average then beatiary has the second highest month's average all time. That is a sign of good marketing. If you don't like the fact that PoE was able to draw with beastiary the second most attention peak than better learn to read graphs, because the drop after the peak is very strong (obvious to see) and even the flashback peak is only half of the inital peak of beastiary. They did loss massively players during the league and only win half of them back with flashback. However, that is how every league looks like in the all time view. Marketing draw people in and then people drop out over time. The more important conlusion I see is that, while marketing does a good job, the game experience of the drop-outs can be improved to make them stay.
"
ACGIFT wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:
Should it have been dropped 100% as a sacrifice to the casuals Chris Wilson wants to sweet talk back into the game?

It's hilarious that you insult other players as "casuals" when you've never even gotten to 30 challenges once... Hell, you've not even faced one of the endgame bestiary bosses yet! It's amusing to see this level of white-knighting, really.
Strong words by someone not having a single challenge done in the beastiary league... Plus, I wonder, why you consider the term "casual" insulting by all means. It is a fact that not everyone have the time to play like the hardcore gamers and that the casual gamers are very important for the success of any game, since they are by fare the larger playerbase to win. Logic implies that GGG has good reasons to care about casual gamers, which they actually do as well as they care about hardcore gamers. Oppionions maybe are different, but please let us remember to treat each others with respect when sharing different oppinions.

Btw. I think that beastiary is not dropped to please anyone. IMHO, it was dropped, because it was too hugh to be finished before the league started, and GGG realized that it is too much work to finish and maintain it when being integrated to standard league. Actually, the maintainance part is conformed in the manifest. The fact that Bastiary was not everyones darling just made the decision more easy for GGG. Beastiary was ambigious, GGG knew it, tried it anyway, and learned from it. That's all what happend and, to be honest, that's a brave spirit which is why I support this game.
Thanks for reading and enjoy the game.
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
"
ACGIFT wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:

"
alhazred70 wrote:

Challenges are an Xbox generation type of thing, they are for short attention span gamers or people who have a thing for collecting numbers. But hey good job painting yourself as someone who thinks challenges are impressive. You do know they can literally be bought right? never mind don't answer.

Oh BTW Chris himself publicly stated that Bestiary had stronger retention than many past leagues.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on May 21, 2018, 9:03:32 AM
I enjoyed bestiary, but excited for new content and I’m still trying to wrangle old content.
this make me so mad there plenty people who love bestiary and now its gone? wow all the money i invest in you guys you can keep a simple mode/expansion. i gurantee you guys are filthy rich because of people who nuy $400 dollar packs like myself. im going go now your to frustrating and depression
Remember magic always come with a price Dearie.
main problem with bestiary league-mechanic is: you pushed all the good stuff of bestiary league to the ultra extra level gameplay where 90% of players doesn't reach.

This is: Awesome craft options, imprint magic items, 6link chests spam, etc.

Whenever you design a league where only 5-10% of players will actually enjoy/find the good stuff on it, that's certainly a failure.

What's so amazing about Breach, Perandus league that everybody keeps talking about since this days?

Simple: Just after kill hillock or brutus, walking around act1 you was able to find breach - kill mobs - get splinters - drop items.
Perandus? Same thing! I still remember when I found a Tabula Rasa on Cadiro walking around chamber of sins on act2 in first day of perandus league. It was completely amazing experience.

So, we should be SPAMMED with new leagues feature since act1. Not bound to reach level 95 on HC and farm high beasts on T15 maps to have a chance of grab good stuff, like bestiary league was all about. This certainly makes 90-95% of players just quit the league very early on.

Incursion league? I'm totally hyped because I guess you just did what you have to do to make a good league: Just like perandus and breach, we'll be finding incursions all the time since act1. That's it GGG!! That's it! :)

With that being said, This was the right choice TO NOT add bestiary to core game. imo not even on zana mods because will never worth it and nobody likes or gonna miss those unkillable and annoying red beasts, or grabbing nets, meh, let it go. :)
My end, it justifies my means,
All I ever do is delay,
My every attempt to evade,
The end of the road
And my end....
Last edited by imLuCaSsS on May 23, 2018, 8:17:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info