[On Hold] Glacial Cascade Totems [ALL Content in the Game]

We have no issues against Chimera, just go between clouds quickly with some movement speed while using Basalt Flask with inmunity to bleeding.
HC SSF Harbinguer : Templar Inquisitor, LVL 94 (RIP).
STANDARD : Templar Inquisitor, LVL 97 (ALL CONTENT DONE)
"
lourun_coria wrote:
We have no issues against Chimera, just go between clouds quickly with some movement speed while using Basalt Flask with inmunity to bleeding.

Sounds easy...but bot really :C
I've just imported ur build in PoB and u have much less damage i have, slightly less hp...and i suck so much lol
should i be using both the gc jewels and the helemt enchant?

PoB: https://pastebin.com/erD3Wuc9
"
arielrahamim wrote:
should i be using both the gc jewels and the helemt enchant?

PoB: https://pastebin.com/erD3Wuc9

The helm enchant doesn't do anything if you're using the jewels, so generally it is one or the other. Of course the jewels do have the added benefit of extra AoE clear for mapping, but if you have the hat enchant, you'll get better boss damage by swapping to some good rare jewels.
"
"
lourun_coria wrote:

I've just imported ur build in PoB and u have much less damage i have, slightly less hp...and i suck so much lol

Something is not right if you say that you have more Life and DPS but you cant manage Quimera fight...

¿Maybe the flasks?
HC SSF Harbinguer : Templar Inquisitor, LVL 94 (RIP).
STANDARD : Templar Inquisitor, LVL 97 (ALL CONTENT DONE)
"
lourun_coria wrote:
"
"
lourun_coria wrote:

Something is not right if you say that you have more Life and DPS but you cant manage Quimera fight...

¿Maybe the flasks?

life, mana, atziri's, diamond, rumi's concoction

All fights with tough bosses looks like i pop flasks, trying to dodge stuff, but its kinda hard for me, no flasks - i die. Even if i can tp out to refill them my life/mana flasks gone too quickly for me to do something
All the bosses are easy for me at this point, but I don't want to just blithely say they should be for you, since I've got pretty decent gear now (400k dps per totem in PoB).

That said, my first kill on chimera was before I got any shaper weapons or anything, so my damage was definitely worse than yours. I didn't have too much trouble. I used granite during smoke phase, and smart totem positioning during add phases.

My strat for add phases is basically I stay on the right side, I put one totem at each of the spawn points (top right, bottom right, not RIGHT on the spawn, but close), and then one totem off in the middle to my left, to draw fire from / kill any stuff spawning in from the left. Snakes are the only dangerous adds, but if you use the poison immunity pantheon they're not so bad. Can bring all 3 totems in to the mini-boss when it is that time, to get him down before his GMP chaos spit can do much to you.

I'm not sure rumi's does a lot for us. I think I'd rather have a regular granite with some useful magic mods (duration, a status immunity, or iron skin). I won't kick block chance out of bed, but it is a lot less useful if you're not stacking it up.
"
All the bosses are easy for me at this point, but I don't want to just blithely say they should be for you, since I've got pretty decent gear now (400k dps per totem in PoB).

That said, my first kill on chimera was before I got any shaper weapons or anything, so my damage was definitely worse than yours. I didn't have too much trouble. I used granite during smoke phase, and smart totem positioning during add phases.

My strat for add phases is basically I stay on the right side, I put one totem at each of the spawn points (top right, bottom right, not RIGHT on the spawn, but close), and then one totem off in the middle to my left, to draw fire from / kill any stuff spawning in from the left. Snakes are the only dangerous adds, but if you use the poison immunity pantheon they're not so bad. Can bring all 3 totems in to the mini-boss when it is that time, to get him down before his GMP chaos spit can do much to you.

I'm not sure rumi's does a lot for us. I think I'd rather have a regular granite with some useful magic mods (duration, a status immunity, or iron skin). I won't kick block chance out of bed, but it is a lot less useful if you're not stacking it up.

I have like 345k dps per totem right now with some hp respec and 21/20 GC gem.

I wonder how do u do all this stuff with 4500k hp...5400k right now and i feel myselft so squishy

But, honestly, i understand that totem builds have no defencive mechanics at all, so all we have to do is killing fast..
"
I wonder how do u do all this stuff with 4500k hp...5400k right now and i feel myselft so squishy

Mana management is a big part of defense. It is why I run vaal clarity (though that's less useful on chimera than other places). Our totems cost a LOT of mana (162 per cast), so if you get spammy it is easy to get low on mana, and lose that extra effective HP from MoM.

Sure, I have 4.5k HP, but I really have 6.5k HP because of MoM. I'm almost always at full mana due to vaal clarity.

"
But, honestly, i understand that totem builds have no defencive mechanics at all, so all we have to do is killing fast..

Fortify, flasks, CWDT enfeeble + immortal call. I mean it doesn't compare to the defense of a "tank" style build, but I wouldn't say there aren't any. Freezing everything solid is also nice.
I've been asked about my take on this build a few times in game, and I guess it is different enough from the OP's that I might as well post it here.

My setup is more mapping oriented, whereas OP's is a bit more boss killing oriented. Mine is still fine for bosses (deathless guardians / shaper / uber atziri / vaal temple).

Gear:
Spoiler

PoB pastebin

Differences from the OP and reasons for them:

1) Kikazaru + self flagelation.
Reason: I'm lazy, I don't want to manage curses while I'm mapping.

2) Shaper totem placement speed boots.
Reason: Totem placement speed, move speed, extra sockets, no unwavering stance means blind is useful.

3) Blind and faster casting shaper gloves. The trap cooldown support is a trash stat on mine, would be better as a resist.
Reason: Faster casting is obvious, it gives raw cast speed to buff our damage. It also makes dropping orb of storms faster, which is quality of life. Blind is quite good defense as well. The extra supports also allow for higher level arcane surge on orb of storms (level 9 arcane surge). 6-link orb of storms, mana cost 56.

4) Lightning warp 4 link, lightning warp hat enchant.
Reason: Again, my build is mapping focused. Whirling blades is okay for getting around, but 4L lightning warp with the hat enchant is much, much, much faster. I still run whirling blades to activate Instruments of Virtue and get fortify, but lightning warp gets me around the map. We like to stack cast speed anyway, so it will be quite zippy.

5) Vaal clarity + inc duration.
Reason: Our totems cost a ton of mana, and mana is life thanks to MoM. Vaal clarity lasts 17 seconds per use with inc duration. This means we're basically always on full mana.

Gem Links: GC + Controlled D + Inc Crit + Hypothermia + Faster Casting + Conc/Inc

I often map with conc in, as with long winter it actually still has pretty good range, and the damage is enough with hypothermia to freeze beyond bosses (even abaxoth) solid. They often get frozen and then killed before I know they spawned. I try to do double-beyond as much as I can, so that's a factor. If you're hammering easier maps fast, use inc aoe instead.

Hypothermia is used because I find freezing enemies to be a huge quality of life / safety improvement while mapping. It doesn't offer quite as much boss damage as elemental focus, but the freeze is super useful particularly for abysses or double beyond shenanagins.

Use path of building to see what works best for you, but in my opinion for a mapping-oriented gem choice, Faster Casting and Inc Crit are more important than their pure DPS contributions let on. Faster casting makes everything smoother, inc crit makes you freeze more consistently. Even if PoB tells you something else is more damage, you should run them anyway (for mapping, for bossing do whatever PoB says is best DPS).

Flasks: My flask selection is mostly the same as OP's, except of course I don't want to remove curses. The only possibly controversial choice is granite instead of the more popular basalt. It is true basalt is more likely to stop you from getting one-shot by one of those big boss attacks you're not supposed to stand in. But because of the mechanics of armor, granite is much more useful when you're getting beat up by regular type monsters in maps (large numbers of smaller hits). Swap to suit your needs, but I find the granite to be a huge survivability boost in abysses in particular. You don't need poison immunity because you can get it from pantheon. I have all the other immunities except ignite, which I swap in for ignite maps.

No Hatred: No essence worm, since we run kikazarus. Even if I had a ring slot, I might prefer a rare over an essence worm. Shapre "phys as extra ele" type mods are additive with hatred, so the more of those shaper mods you have, the less important hatred is to your overall damage. This is the same reason you don't see added fire in my links. You could run hatred without essence worm of course, but I don't think it is worth the lost mana for MoM - our damage is already pretty ridiculous.

Thoughts on price: Nothing you see above is expensive. Aside from 6L soul mantle my most expensive piece was 1 exalt (scepter). Boots and dagger were self crafted. Hat enchant self obtained (sells for maybe 30-40c on a good base, another ~20 to roll usable stats). Gloves 10c, ammy 10c, belt 10c. Honestly a lot of that probably could be improved, but I've been spending currency on other project characters. A shaper ammy would be good, but cast speed + crit mult are very strong, it takes quite a good shaper amulet to beat that 10c regular one.

Summary/Conclusion: Most of my choices have cost me life compared to the OP's setup. Giving up kaom's roots, running unique rings, running 4 unique jewels, are all lost life. All told it is maybe 1k lost life. In exchange I get more fluid gameplay, better mobility, and accommodation for laziness.

It isn't all defensive losses though, there's defensive gains too. Kikazaru's life regen is actually quite nice, as is the ability to take advantage of blind. I have 14% chance to evade base, 57% against blinded enemies.

If you're looking for fluid, easy mapping, and don't mind being slightly less optimal on bosses, you might want to try a setup like this out.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Jan 19, 2018, 3:17:00 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info