[3.11] Shaper = Stunned, Tidebreaker Heavy Strike Stunner Build

"
SirLawliet wrote:
Would Vigilant Strike be an option? Hits can't be evaded may open up critical variation plus free fortify. Tidebreaker plus Jugg probably offer enough Endurance Charge to sustain VS. Thoughts?

It certainly can work, so if you want you can go ahead and do a Vigilant Strike variation; but generally, I believe it brings more problems than it solves.

Half of Jugg's decency comes from the accuracy. If you pick Jugg you probably don't have to worry too much about accuracy anyways, which kind of defeats the purpose of Vigilant Strike. But you do have to pick the accuracy node, as you probably don't want to clear maps with Vigilant Strike and you want some accuracy so that your mapping experience won't be too awful.

Then you have to build crit on top of a 5% base crit weapon, which means you probably should get other sources of added local crit chance, which, unless picking Slayer, is difficult to find without huge sacrifices.

After all these costs, you have to compete with our original choice, which comes with 38% more damage (20% more and 15% more from slayer) or 40% more damage (Berserker), and 72% double strike chance and 25% r.E.S.T. (heavy strike).

Well, maybe there is a way to get a big DPS number out of this, but... what's the point, really? This build can stun-lock Shaper with Heavy Strike on a 5-link (if well-geared), and in Uber Elder fight you're probably better off using Cyclone so that you can dodge all the mess while dealing damage.

There is also this embarrassing scenario that, what if you don't hit your first attack with Vigilant Strike so that you don't have any endurance charge to get it going...

Overall, I see no point in trying to boost our single target DPS unless it comes at a very small cost. Because stun-locking is so easily achievable, this build should slowing switch to QoL and defense and mobility instead of DPS.

So, considering the overall strength of this build, I would probably like an idea that offers great AoE DPS while maintaining good defense and mobility, but most effort to boost the single target DPS would seem pointless to me.
"
SirLawliet wrote:
Would Vigilant Strike be an option? Hits can't be evaded may open up critical variation plus free fortify. Tidebreaker plus Jugg probably offer enough Endurance Charge to sustain VS. Thoughts?

I'm actually doing exactly this, as a crit Slayer. Character name is FunkyBighead.
For regular clear I use cyclone with a Hits Can't be Evaded weapon. For Shaper and other tough bosses, I cyclone on them for a second to ramp up things like Pride and Aspect of the Spider and apply Intimidate and Vulnerability, then swap to alternate weapon set and Tidebreaker stun them to death. I have instant Enduring Cry to fill the endurance charge gap in case I miss a stun, but that doesn't really happen (I have 100% crit chance, largely due to Second Sight).
Thanks to this build, I recently killed Uber Elder for the first time ever! (and then again, with only one death)
Has any tried using 2 nebuloch maces instead tidebringer?
"
JKGibson2 wrote:
"
SirLawliet wrote:

I'm actually doing exactly this, as a crit Slayer. Character name is FunkyBighead.
For regular clear I use cyclone with a Hits Can't be Evaded weapon. For Shaper and other tough bosses, I cyclone on them for a second to ramp up things like Pride and Aspect of the Spider and apply Intimidate and Vulnerability, then swap to alternate weapon set and Tidebreaker stun them to death. I have instant Enduring Cry to fill the endurance charge gap in case I miss a stun, but that doesn't really happen (I have 100% crit chance, largely due to Second Sight).
Thanks to this build, I recently killed Uber Elder for the first time ever! (and then again, with only one death)

The idea to use a Hits Cannnot be Evaded weapon for Cyclone and then Tidebreaker for Vigilant Strike to bypass the accuracy issue is pretty smart. It does sound far more viable this way.

"
janne1990 wrote:
Has any tried using 2 nebuloch maces instead tidebringer?

I don't really see a great use of this weapon. How do you make full use of it and how do you deal with the degen?
In the guide, you mention clearing with heavy strike. I'm really interested in building an exclusively heavy strike build because i really love the skill. Other than linking it with ancestral call, how else can I improve clear? HoA? Haemophilia?

Thanks!
"
In the guide, you mention clearing with heavy strike. I'm really interested in building an exclusively heavy strike build because i really love the skill. Other than linking it with ancestral call, how else can I improve clear? HoA? Haemophilia?

Thanks!

I used to recommend Heavy Strike when Slayer still had the 50% or 100% splash damage, now that's gone, and after 3.7, Heavy Strike is getting a 85% attack speed multiplier and Multistrike lost a lot of attack speed as well.

So previously, you could Leap Slam into a pack and Heavy Strike 6 times within 1 second, creating a huge blast and clearing a whole pack. Now, Heavy Strike is really really slow and it hits a very small area even if you have a big weapon range. HoA or Haemophilia alone is not going to do the job if you don't have Melee Splash.

There is also the problem that Ancestral Call feels really good when you face a big pack, and feels stupid when you single-target.

So Heavy Strike ended up being like, if you get to a big pack, you could one shot a whole pack, but if the pack is loose or if there is just one big rare you end up having a low DPS. I tried 6-link Heavy Strike and it somehow felt like a 5-link Sunder.

Another approach is to use Shockwave. But honestly Shockwave will be doing all the work and Heavy Strike merely acts as the worst possible way to trigger Shockwave.

Then there is also the problem that Cyclone exists. Cyclone feels too good to not use to me. Other AoE skills like Ground Slam and Sweep are good as well.

So, I personally don't see anyway that a Heavy Strike clearing experience can compete with say Cyclone. That doesn't mean it's not possible and I encourage people to think about it and maybe share it, but I don't really have good suggestions to share at the moment.
"
I used to recommend Heavy Strike when Slayer still had the 50% or 100% splash damage, now that's gone, and after 3.7, Heavy Strike is getting a 85% attack speed multiplier and Multistrike lost a lot of attack speed as well.

So previously, you could Leap Slam into a pack and Heavy Strike 6 times within 1 second, creating a huge blast and clearing a whole pack. Now, Heavy Strike is really really slow and it hits a very small area even if you have a big weapon range. HoA or Haemophilia alone is not going to do the job if you don't have Melee Splash.

There is also the problem that Ancestral Call feels really good when you face a big pack, and feels stupid when you single-target.

So Heavy Strike ended up being like, if you get to a big pack, you could one shot a whole pack, but if the pack is loose or if there is just one big rare you end up having a low DPS. I tried 6-link Heavy Strike and it somehow felt like a 5-link Sunder.

Another approach is to use Shockwave. But honestly Shockwave will be doing all the work and Heavy Strike merely acts as the worst possible way to trigger Shockwave.

Then there is also the problem that Cyclone exists. Cyclone feels too good to not use to me. Other AoE skills like Ground Slam and Sweep are good as well.

So, I personally don't see anyway that a Heavy Strike clearing experience can compete with say Cyclone. That doesn't mean it's not possible and I encourage people to think about it and maybe share it, but I don't really have good suggestions to share at the moment.

Alright, after messing around with heavy strike clearing for an hour or so, i can see what you mean. I really just like the feel and sound of heavy strike over ground slam. But, I think im just going to stick with ground slam/vaal ground slam because i started following this build to take a break from my cycloner lol. Thanks again
I finished my first ever UE attempt/completion in this game last night thanks to this build. Thanks Bright! :)

Question regarding upgrading tidebringer. What are the steps for attempting fortify corrupt. Hillock 28% qual -> 6L -> vaal? Any steps in between?

Also could someone explain why poedb.tw says max t1 increased physical damage on a 2h mace is 170-179% but I see all these maces with values above that:
http://poe.trade/search/hetonikaheroni
Last edited by Kapitolist on Jul 3, 2019, 12:55:21 PM
"
Kapitolist wrote:
I finished my first ever UE attempt/completion in this game last night thanks to this build. Thanks Bright! :)

Question regarding upgrading tidebringer. What are the steps for attempting fortify corrupt. Hillock 28% qual -> 6L -> vaal? Any steps in between?

Also could someone explain why poedb.tw says max t1 increased physical damage on a 2h mace is 170-179% but I see all these maces with values above that:
http://poe.trade/search/hetonikaheroni

Yes it's optimal to 28% q first then 6link.

The higher phys damage roll is hybrid. If you use the official trade site you could see which hybrid mods are being merged. Usually it's the result of having both phys damage + accuracy mod and pure phys damage mod.
Hey there. I was wondering if OP or someone else with knowledge about this build could look at my PoB.

https://pastebin.com/qNu8Wkem

I know my flasks are all effed up as well as some of my sockets/colors. I'm working on that asap. I spent so much on the kaoms and I actually 6 socketed and linked my tidebreaker myself. I'm looking for helpful tips about what I should work on gear-wise. I also know I need to get +20q gems on some stuff. I also took mana leech on right side of duelist starting area. I do have an enlighten but its only level 2 right now. I was struggling to run all the auras so I had to pick it up.

Secondly, I have a starkonja. Only reason why is the Heavy Strike enchant. I'm going to try to replace that as well when I get currency.

Thirdly, my biggest thing is as of right now, I'm locked to one skill because my 6L tidebreaker + kaom. A tidebreaker thats 5 sockets not even linked is currently 3ex. Because ps4 community is trash everything is expensive lol. + I dont know how big the playerbase is. So getting another isnt an option right now. Any advice?
Last edited by Tranquil_Noise on Jul 4, 2019, 5:31:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info