Viper Strike

keep in mind, its a reasonable hit and run skill, which is good for safety. long enough duration means enough things should die while you recover or hide.
20k DPS, not counting Attacks used to apply those Charges nor any follow-up Attacks.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
20k DPS, not counting Attacks used to apply those Charges nor any follow-up Attacks.
Oh look 20k DPS from DoT... and another 100k from speccing half decent damage per attack.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Autocthon wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Oh look 20k DPS from DoT... and another 100k from speccing half decent damage per attack.
oh look 160k because i'm using that half decent attack, critting on fire damage, and using viper strike. add 40k more from searing bond because why not?

dps is meaningless usually for actual attacks as people should worry about the actual hit sizes.
"
Autocthon wrote:

If that's true, then why wouldn't you just use your basic attack? Since that's all Viper Strike is after you drop the 20k DPS from DoT. You'd save mana that way.

I'd also like to see your "half decent" speccing to get 100k dps using Viper Strike. It's really a shit poor candidate for low-life aura build because the mana cost is so high.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
I have an idea of a cheap viper strike build.

After stacking viper charges,
1.Use dominated blind built in minions with added lightning and wrath to shock
2.Use Shock nova totem to shock
3.Use CoCS arc to shock
* Shock alignment increases the damage from viper charges.

Defence:
AA + MoM + Dominated blind Minions (+ raise specter blind evangelist)

Playstyle:
Spoiler

Attack mobs with Viper strike and Dominate all mobs.
Dominated mobs deals blind and lightning damage.

Once degeneration charges are up, curse with Vulnerability and switch to attack with ST to generate arc from CoCS.

In addition, use shock nova totem to increase chances to shock, as needed.

Key passives:
Spoiler

Increased skill effect duration nodes
Increased chaos damage and damage over time nodes
Crit nodes and Dagger crit nodes
Mind over matter (MoM)
EB

Skill tree:
Spoiler

www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAVysHY3NTwFR5Awj0MYiLeqcr4vc74W0ZwfOCHtsLf8YnqVptJDynXElRHNzxdow2VUtteyaVtUiTJ9xXHpSsP7QMRnGDCW-eykrDOlYtrH8ZhqxH6ywqTRUgg9v8S85xbBYs6d0N_MVnoId2Sn1W-j8nSsgTnqSRiEJw1XBSEZado_yrcLvZEy9v4YgdqlbqkBtwVpoTdEHdX7tNZ_xbrxjbrUpSr80mdPGFMtvUoqN-M13yLUdQQvId7Bi00XaCyAzDbasLcsPMBl-YWW0dvgV9

Gem setups:
Spoiler

For body armour :
Dominating Blow - melee splash - increased duration - blind(4l) - added lightning damage (5l)/ whirling blade (or smoke mine) (1l)
OR
ST - cast when crit - arc - GMP(4l) - crit chance (5l) / whirling blade (or smoke mine)(1l)
(not selfcasting because no cast speed increase from tree and gears)

viper strike - Multi strike - LGoH - Melee splash (4l)

Spell totem - shock nova - crit chance (3l)/ vulnerability (1l)

Cast when stuned - arctic breath - temp chain (3l) / AA(1l)
(Chill and tempchain is quite strong combo to slow mobs)

Reduced mana - Warth (or Purity of ice) - clarity (3l)

Voideye +5 = viper (1l)

Damage:
Spoiler

Against single:
Level 25 viper (using the +5 lv unique)

DoT: 8.80s - 506.4/s

From tree, 157% increased Chaos + overtime damage, and 45% increased duration, so

506 * 2.54 * 8.8 * 1.45 = 6,488 damage per 1 viper charge.
(Bosses won't be shocked)
If attack speed is 3 times per sec., then 19,464 DPS equivalents (without curse effects).

Against Pack of mobs:
Not sure ... but with shock, maybe not bad?
At low levels, even without shock, doing quite fine.

How do you guys see this build? Any tips are welcome.
Currently 55 in Invasion League.
Doing fine so far with 4L viper and Dominating blow.

Last edited by JapaneseTaiwanese on Mar 28, 2014, 4:21:20 AM
Hey!
i have a question about the passiv skill notes Damage over time like "Growth and decay" which is located under the duelist starting point.
Does this notes ("18 % increase Damage over time) effect the charges which are apllied by using viper strike.
Damage over time is (description) chaos damage like Viper strike.
But when i get these notes the damage on the skill description didn't change.
For example: getting these notes by using poison arrow increases the damage over time at the description.
Does this notes scale Viper strike or not (and why not)
thanks for helping
You know a skill suck when the final page has post from March 20, and the Final 2 page of the thread has post from mid February.

The chaos and DOT nodes need to be stronger, and the progression of the skill needs to be stronger so that with the combination of the two, the damage is double what it is right now.

If not, there are simply way too many other skills that someone could use instead that does More damage AND/or can cover AOE.

I'm not sure I can find a primary skill that is in more need to of a tweak than this one.
"
You know a skill suck when the final page has post from March 20, and the Final 2 page of the thread has post from mid February.

The chaos and DOT nodes need to be stronger, and the progression of the skill needs to be stronger so that with the combination of the two, the damage is double what it is right now.

If not, there are simply way too many other skills that someone could use instead that does More damage AND/or can cover AOE.

I'm not sure I can find a primary skill that is in more need to of a tweak than this one.

Try it with melee splash.
Closed beta member since: March 19, 2012
"
Try it with melee splash.

Are you serious?? Ever since that update back in November, who hasn't tried Viper strike with Melee splash.

Same thing can be said "hey try it with multistrike" but who hasn't tried that.

It's like why would you use Sweep, when leap slam is better in every way. Well, with viper strike, there are quite literally more than 10 different melee skills that are better in pretty much every way and thus they would choose it over viper strike.

The skill simply needs a tweak. Absolutely no one has ever made a viable viper strike build that is even close to being useful in invasion/hardcore.

I think in general GGG will need to decide how they will treat choas damage (and non-CI choas resistance). Just simply the presence of so many chaos resistance mobs in late game severely limits the skill. For one, ever since Viper strike was released in Beta, they seem to have a difficult time with the whole Posion thing, with regards to it, adder's touch, poison cloud, and the type of things that can boost or be additive to it. Eventually they had to tweak the wording and what we got is a skill that has few things that synergies with it, and is extremely weak.

I'm hoping it is one of the unannounced "underused" skills Chris was talking about that could get a boost in the 1.12 update.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info