Level Brackets in Timed Races Need Work

I kind of forgot this is a Feedback forum, since GGG never responds and there is no other dedicated race forum.

Feedback: level brackets way past what's necessary to kill the boss in timed races is... anti-climactic, pointless, and not a race.

Edit: how about, whatever level you are at the moment you kill is what matters. When you make the kill, your race is over.
Character archive: view-thread/963707
HC: 96 RIP
SC: 95 97 96 100 95 96 97 98
Settlers: 88(retired) 95 92(BPL) 94(Settlers GSF)
Last edited by unsane on Nov 3, 2014, 9:55:24 PM
It's already wrong that the devs only count the time to kill and don't look for character age.
Die once and your time becomes utter shit.
Did not read.
Character archive: view-thread/963707
HC: 96 RIP
SC: 95 97 96 100 95 96 97 98
Settlers: 88(retired) 95 92(BPL) 94(Settlers GSF)
"
unsane wrote:
how about, whatever level you are at the moment you kill is what matters. When you make the kill, your race is over.

Definitely this. Killing the boss and then grinding for some time after to reach the top bracket is LAME.

Instead they could award X-(your level at the time of the boss kill) points, where X is some value appropriate to the boss (e.g. 15 for brutus, 20 for merveil, 40 for piety, or thereabouts).

I would also be fine with them removing any level-based points in these races.
"
Fightgarr wrote:

This. Level should be irrelevant.
IGN: KoTao
I think they put the level rewards there for people that don't have it in them to attempt or finish the Piety goal.
Last edited by boof on Nov 5, 2014, 4:33:55 PM
"
boof wrote:
I think they put the level rewards there for people that don't have it in them to attempt or finish the Piety goal.

doesn't really excuse the fact that they make you randomly grind after the boss for maximum points in Brutus/Merveil races. I guess the idea is that it forces you to actually kill Brutus/Merveil in order to get to the max level point brackets in a reasonable time (who actually kills Brutus at 13, or Merveil at 17, even in a non-race?), It's still stupid easy good points for the time invested, but its also pretty silly to need to go casually slay some crabs or zombies before you're really done.

It's annoying in all the boss races, but at least the Vaal and Piety levels (22 and 30) are a lot closer to what I'd expect if you were actually killing mobs on the way and trying to get decent exp for the zone levels. Too bad in their current state boss races are all about bum rushing to the boss super underleveled skipping every mob, burning TPs to town to refresh mana/QS charges, and hoping you don't desync too bad or run into a horrific sub phys/diamond shrine pack.
"
Hilbert wrote:
It's already wrong that the devs only count the time to kill and don't look for character age.
Die once and your time becomes utter shit.

It really is bizarre that their "new tech" didn't allow for something like this. Given that we could already time first to kill X, I still don't understand what their new tech was.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
"
Fightgarr wrote:

+1

If GGG wants to maintain total pts for kill+max level bracket, just add the max level bracket pts to the award for the kill.
"
Cataract wrote:
"
Fightgarr wrote:

+1

If GGG wants to maintain total pts for kill+max level bracket, just add the max level bracket pts to the award for the kill.

Boom, exactly.

Why a need for a level bracket if the entire point of the race is to kill a boss
anything is everything

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info