Client-server Action Synchronisation

One thing I don't get.

You say that having no miss chance would improve desyncing. You also say that it is a really good mechanic that you want to keep. Only question is... why?

Hit and miss are always boring. I understand the dodge / evasion side for players. But who ever said to themselves "wow I have 95% hit rate, this is really great"... We respond to things like ignite, to stuns, to crits. Having a chance for a negative effect to occur, then being able to mitigate that negative effect makes little sense. How is that fun at all?

Then you consider the fact that desyncing ruins plenty of the truly fun mechanics. E.g Chills and Stuns, Movement speed, really fast cast / hit rates etc. Desyncing also encourages us to stack hp and defense, while relying on ranged classes for ease of use. The whole hit / miss thing is actually something I felt was out of place in an ARPG. There may be a reason why others don't tend to use it.

Last edited by KnyazSunny on Oct 21, 2014, 10:27:15 PM
"
KnyazSunny wrote:
One thing I don't get.

You say that having no miss chance would improve desyncing. You also say that it is a really good mechanic that you want to keep. Only question is... why?

Hit and miss are always boring. I understand the dodge / evasion side for players. But who ever said to themselves "wow I have 95% hit rate, this is really great"... We respond to things like ignite, to stuns, to crits. Having a chance for a negative effect to occur, then being able to mitigate that negative effect makes little sense. How is that fun at all?

Then you consider the fact that desyncing ruins plenty of the truly fun mechanics. E.g Chills and Stuns, Movement speed, really fast cast / hit rates etc. Desyncing also encourages us to stack hp and defense, while relying on ranged classes for ease of use. The whole hit / miss thing is actually something I felt was out of place in an ARPG. There may be a reason why others don't tend to use it.

I find it weird too because like 90% of skills in the game are spells and spells have 100% hit chance >.>"

Even if everything was made to have 100% chance to hit there would still be desyncs caused by the stun mechanic. I assume they don't want to remove it because it is sort of a slippery slope in favour of removing multiple features in the name of improving synchronization between client/server...
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Oct 23, 2014, 8:02:46 AM
When I play PoE, I oftentimes use my phone as a mobile hotspot and play through 4g, as the broadband connection in my house seems to have a much higher ping.

Anyways, as a web developer, I have a decent understanding of the mechanics between client and server.

While most of the de-sync that I experience goes unnoticed, or is extremely subtle, I have at times been in those situations where I have traveled for ten to fifteen seconds just to be snapped back to my original location.

Based on my observations in-game, I have a strong feeling that there are some issues between the way the server emulates the game versus the way the client runs the game.

I love the work you do at GGG, but the general message being conveyed in this article was that "it's not our fault that de-sync occurs". Sure, it does take time for the round-trip to complete, what with the speed of light and all, but that doesn't mean that achieving a game that is both secure and smooth is impossible.
Leveling a Spectral Throw Scion.
"
JoeMajewski wrote:
When I play PoE, I oftentimes use my phone as a mobile hotspot and play through 4g, as the broadband connection in my house seems to have a much higher ping.

Anyways, as a web developer, I have a decent understanding of the mechanics between client and server.

While most of the de-sync that I experience goes unnoticed, or is extremely subtle, I have at times been in those situations where I have traveled for ten to fifteen seconds just to be snapped back to my original location.

Based on my observations in-game, I have a strong feeling that there are some issues between the way the server emulates the game versus the way the client runs the game.

I love the work you do at GGG, but the general message being conveyed in this article was that "it's not our fault that de-sync occurs". Sure, it does take time for the round-trip to complete, what with the speed of light and all, but that doesn't mean that achieving a game that is both secure and smooth is impossible.

It is their fault, their server forces client data updates on the players with false server data when they could just as easily update the bad server data with the correct client data, and use the server side prediction to watch for overtly incorrect data from cheaters, and instead of forcing client updates just disconnect people who are reporting impossible location data. The coding foundation to do this is already there, it almost seems petty and cruel to have left the game in this state for so long.
"
JoeMajewski wrote:
Bingo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wTE71aXFI
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
I wonder how Taiwanese players are with regards to desync? If you are very near the server (like taiwan server), would it significantly lessen desync?

If so, then adding more servers (in more location) would solve the problem right?

Added a "Desync" tag to those desync prone skills might be a good idea right? e.g. Leap slam (which I cause me to desync rip), whirl blades :)

Edit:
Man.. ripping by desync is really not a good experience (especially for an HC noob like myself).. is there any other game like PoE (free ofc, and with all the cool mechanics) but not with this unbearable desync problem?
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Last edited by ManicCompression on Nov 13, 2014, 6:47:20 PM
"
Astealoth wrote:

It is their fault, their server forces client data updates on the players with false server data when they could just as easily update the bad server data with the correct client data, and use the server side prediction to watch for overtly incorrect data from cheaters, and instead of forcing client updates just disconnect people who are reporting impossible location data. The coding foundation to do this is already there, it almost seems petty and cruel to have left the game in this state for so long.

fuck that.

And how do you know which clinet's have the correct information? If there is a threshold that determines which is real and which is fake then people will find it and just use their cheats to be within that threshold.

LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
"
If you are very near the server (like taiwan server), would it significantly lessen desync?
No, "desync" != "lag"; you can have 10ms stable ping and still desync when you do something "wrong". Or even when you don't do anything - like in video in my previous post.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"
If you are very near the server (like taiwan server), would it significantly lessen desync?
No, "desync" != "lag"; you can have 10ms stable ping and still desync when you do something "wrong". Or even when you don't do anything - like in video in my previous post.

H*ly elreon help me! So you're pretty much guaranteed to RIP when your in a zone with monsters?

Edit: watched the video, lucky, no rip XD
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Last edited by ManicCompression on Nov 14, 2014, 5:57:58 AM
"
So you're pretty much guaranteed to RIP when your in a zone with monsters?
No, if you play "smart", i.e. max hp, max block, max evade, max %place_any_other_defense_mechanic_here% build :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info