Vaal Immortal Call

"
Juicebox360 wrote:
how come the change from immunity to all damage -> can't die wasn't documented anywhere? this is very frustrating.

I can confirm it is in fact both effects; you stop taking damage AND you cannot die. It's an important distinction. See the following two examples:

1) Spam into Promenade Boss lightning thorns with Spectral Throw; VIC comes on at half life and no more damage is taken - http://www.twitch.tv/mcm375/c/3884709

2) Maze Vaal smash to the face; VIC prevents one shot death - http://www.twitch.tv/mcm375/c/3884771

In both cases VIC is linked to Increased Duration and a max level CWDT.

EDIT: I will add that it is incredibly difficult to get both 96 souls AND not trigger CWDT until right when you need it... so all of this is totally unreliable and will never be used in a hardcore league in spite of the skill being clearly designed around hardcore. So either the soul count or the way CWDT counts damage needs to be reworked (e.g., if CWDT had a time window for the damage counter it would be much, much more useful.)
@BeerPact
Last edited by muir on Mar 14, 2014, 2:14:31 PM
Of course, it's *impossible* to cast Immortal Call manually.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Of course, it's *impossible* to cast Immortal Call manually.

It's not impossible, it's just utterly crap compared to the trigger gem scenario. This game lacks death passives completely, this was the ONE RAY OF HOPE. Dashed, I'm afraid.

So back to logout macros for all.
@BeerPact
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABBAcOPA5ID8QRlhLhE8wUcRVQFkAW-RpVG8gdFB2-HwIjoyThJbwo-ilPLR8t0jY9NsU26DpSOtg7fD8nQT9DMUrITLNP81AwUeZYPVivWW1Z81oaXPReE1-YYSFjQ2SjZk9mnmfibRluqnBScNVyqXgNf8aBK4FJgseC5ITvhX2IOIhriq-PRpARkc6Uh5gKnYqdo57FoqOly6Y-pwipbqyqsji0L7XytkG2pLiTuMq77b68wBrAUcHzy5jVLNcC2CTelt-y37_iQ-OE6H3qGOvu7Djz6vcy-Ov60vtF_Ks=

This is a build i want to try, but currently don't have the currency to.

As this is a completely theoretical build, I have no idea wether it really works or not.

I plan on killing the mobs and gaining the enurance charges to effectively cast VIC for the first time with spectral thorw, faster projectiles, crit multi, and maybe life leech or physical projectile dmg and a simple enduring cry with increased area of effect so i dont have to be dangerously close to the deadly minions.

Using the quality gems VIC, enchance, increased duration and empower, in "+1 to level of gems" corrupted gloves and 10 endurance charges from 2 kaoms sign and a "+1 maximum number of endurace charges" corrupted belt, its duration can be prolonged to 31+ seconds.

Due to the invulnerabiliy-like state VIC grants after using it for the first time i can ignore my defensive.
That allows me to use Bloodrage and wear volls protector and a badass two-handed mace maybe corrupted with "gems in this item are supportet by lvl 6 stun", in which i would use Flicker strike, multistrike, meele splash, meele physical damage, crit multiplier, and endurance charge on meele stun, to sustain my endurance charges and kills for the next VIC.

Sadly i still haven't found a VIC yet, so I can only speculate that you actually get the dmg, but can't go below 1 life or something similar instead of being immune to all damage.
If this is the case, unwavering stance is mandatory.

If you are rich and don't know what to do with you currency and want to try this, feel free to do it, but please report me your results ;)

This is a good Vaal skill. Good Vaal skills do one of two things: either help deal with powerful threats by killing them quickly, or help deal with them by providing some form of defense or utility. Immortality, even if only briefly, is obviously some rather nice utility.

I'm not going to comment if it's perfect or not; perhaps it should be a longer or shorter duration, or a smaller amount of souls to use. But it's usable now, and the core design is sound.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
This is a good Vaal skill. Good Vaal skills do one of two things: either help deal with powerful threats by killing them quickly, or help deal with them by providing some form of defense or utility. Immortality, even if only briefly, is obviously some rather nice utility.

I'm not going to comment if it's perfect or not; perhaps it should be a longer or shorter duration, or a smaller amount of souls to use. But it's usable now, and the core design is sound.

If i calculate correctly my Dominating Blow char (with 45% inc duration passives and 4 end charges + 1 if i replace ring with kaoms) can get up to 12seconds of total invulnerability with lvl 16 gem. it is obscene utility for a mediocre price.
I am happy with the skill too in its current form. The only thing I think it needs is some cues to make it feel different from the non-vaal variant.

1) The sound when Vaal Immortal Call procs should be the quick scream that Vaal Oversoul makes when it resurfaces from the ground during a fight.

2) When you are protected, the shaft of light that hits you should be "corrupted zone red" rather than golden!

3) There should be a Vaal symbol over your head rather than the existing one.

You know it makes sense!
@Scrotie: I feel this gem needs to be revised. As far as I can tell, Vaal Immortal Call is the only Vaal gem that requires the character to have souls AND charges to use. Getting the required amount of souls does not occur often enough. Perhaps that Soul Count required should be revised from 96 to 32 with the duration adjusted by an equal amount (33% of original duration).

Spoiler
With 5 endurance charges, I pop a level 10 Vaal Immortal Call and I am immune to damage for 3.05 seconds. The revised version would provide 1.01 seconds of immunity.

The chance to Vaal +1% maximum resists on an amulet is less than 1/300.
Last edited by Daresso on May 4, 2014, 3:10:32 PM
My feedback on this skill and why i don't use it anymore:

1) Requires too many souls. Lower amount of souls needed.

2) Doesn't function the same way as normal immortal call. Instead of not taking damage you still take damage down to 1 hit point and then you don't die until the timer is out. Scary and unreliable. Change it to same functionality as normal immortal call.

I think that's about it. Would likely use it if weren't for these two issues.
Could be the perfect vaal skill for endurance charge users.

Last edited by kompaniet on May 4, 2014, 5:35:55 PM
"
kompaniet wrote:
My feedback on this skill and why i don't use it anymore:

1) Requires too many souls. Lower amount of souls needed.

2) Doesn't function the same way as normal immortal call. Instead of not taking damage you still take damage down to 1 hit point and then you don't die until the timer is out. Scary and unreliable. Change it to same functionality as normal immortal call.

I think that's about it. Would likely use it if weren't for these two issues.
Could be the perfect vaal skill for endurance charge users.

My current character I'm trying it with is CI and has 3 of the 15% increased skill nodes with 6 endurance charges, I can get around 7 seconds so far from it, which is nice. The draw back is still taking damage. When it ends, if the threat hasn't been killed you're suddenly at 1 life and dead a second later. If you didn't take damage during the duration, then ES could regen and you'd come out of it in a decent situation.

tl;dr, make it so you don't' take any damage, not just can't die.
ign: orosmoltenstrike
build thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/918546

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info