:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

"
It doesn't hold a candle to 3-gatsu, which takes its time exploring the characters and really, *really* getting into their heads.

Now your just being unreasonable.

3-gatsu is in a league of it's own, animation and story depth. Shit i don't understand the slightest thing about shogi and i still find it spectacular(even the shogi scenes etc) because it's just so much more then a sports anime. It covers a lot of topics all bundled in some slightly over-the-top animation while being
on-point exactly when it needs to be.

Cheers both, i'll probably skip Yuri on ice then. Can't really say i dig sports anime, but the art of 3-gatsu and its wide range apart from shogi just pull you in and ballroom was also like that. Opening episode nailed it and got me involved and then i just loved the rest of it.

Might give Yuri on ice's first episode a go in the future and see if it can do the same, if not ill skip.

Those backstory's in 3-gatsu though, that's some solid exploration. And the entire show always smells like impending drama to me which just keeps you on edge even when they throw kawaii eye-candy at you.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Hell no I'm not being unreasonable. Yuri on Ice is *way* bigger than Sangatsu. I'm merely pointing out that *good* sports anime goes deeper. Much deeper. YoI chooses to focus on one aspect, and that is love between men. Whether it's eros, agape or whatever, that is its chosen theme. And it never goes deeper than that. BUT it's relatively unexplored territory in 'wholesome' (read: non-yaoi) anime so that is really praiseworthy.

Your Lie In April, also a sports anime in its own way, chose to deal with a different theme (trauma resulting from loss) and handled it REALLY badly. Over 24 (I think) long, painful, forced episodes.

And maybe I'm reading a bit too deeply myself but I often wonder why one of the biggest tropes in sports anime is the protagonist *never* gets first place in the decisive event but is usually left in a place where it might be possible in the near future. Maybe it's so that they don't become the biggest threat in the show. Or to prevent their egos from swelling too much. Or to give viewers post-viewing hopes that the protagonist can improve even more. Or maybe it's that very Japanese idea that the nail that sticks out gets hammered down, so they avoid having to hammer the protagonist down by never letting them be that nail. Maybe it's all of those. Either way, it sort of gets on my nerves because it's the most predictable element of sports anime. And I don't think Sangatsu is going to be any different.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 29, 2017, 5:34:54 PM
Isn't the opposite equally boring though?

Don't most of the sports anime portray a protagonist that strives for the win and get's beaten down a few times before reaching his goal?

It's like an on/off switch, you can only go either way and sports usually places "competition" as it's front focus.
It's nice when they take the time to go into character depth in between the win/loses though. Which is why "drama" or a more mental approach goes so well with sports centered anime. Showing the mental fortitude or lack there-off is a big deal.

Not sure but i seem to have a different experience then you on the few sports related anime i've watched, usually they end up with the protagonist being top-dog after a struggle.

I wonder where we put soma in this little "put it all in boxes" thing, in sports or cooking?

I don't really see 3-gatsu as a sports anime but more as a drama for that mater. As a viewer that's more appealing to me, though it's definitely both.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I think the last good sports anime we had (when leaving out cooking and shogi) was Ballroom e Youkoso. Which was really good. And again a series about a rather artistic sport that has openings that won't ever leave your head.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Dying to see ballroom. Fucking anime strike.

Chihayafuru was great. I tend to skip more obvious sports like basketball and volleyball although everyone was a bit of a slam dunk and captain tsubasa fan back in the day.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
So hyped for a lot of series this season... Overlord II had a solid start, finally a bit more background about the world and more than just 2 factions. Also finally some people that noticed his arrival in the world.

Unfortunately (if I've done my research correctly and I fear that I did), we have to wait until the 10th for Violet Evergarden :(

Also, I discovered the Re:Creators OST again... that's some goooooood stuff :D
Netflix are...being very confusing. I'm just going to wait and see what happens regarding VE and Fate/Extra.

Deeply enjoyed reading https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/12/30/a-look-at-the-sakuga-and-animation-of-2017/. So many varied but informed opinions.

I REALLY want to see Houseki no Kuni but figure that may actually be worth the bluray wait.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho animated by Madhouse and Penguins....I am sold for it!
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho animated by Madhouse and Penguins....I am sold for it!

Story looks decent (at the very least it's unusual), animation is gorgeous, madhouse is madhouse and soundtrack seems pretty good... I'm in aswell :D
I'm gonna try to get rid of some of my plan to watch list at the moment... just finished Gatchaman crowds. Was a lot of fun, some delightfully crazy characters in there. Probably going to watch insight aswell soon.

Next up is mekakucity actors. So far lots of weird animation, only little parts of plot, focus spread over multiple characters and tons of head tilts. This show is just... shaft. No other way to describe it until now.

Maybe I'll manage to fit in youjo senki, hai to gensou no grimgar and tales of zestiria season 2 in my plans which I all just stopped watching at some point for no reason...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info