:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

anyth new worthy to see?
Settlers master craft service Settlers My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Settlers veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Settlers SC master craft service Settlers SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Settlers craft PM: TreeOfDead
The next season is STACKED.

but anything new depends on your likes i guess.

for my part on the watchlist is:
kaguya-sama s3
spyXfamily
honzuki s3
machikado s2
mahoutsukai reimeiki

plus others, depending on the the 3 episode rule.
then again, may taste may be strange ;)
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
"
tsunamikun wrote:
really? its not really a mystery show and you may have to like the whole loli spiel but i don't really remember anything really trainwrecky about it.

Also, as always, japanese writers have strange ideas about any period in middle european history xD

Really. The mc kun is incessantly shrill and supposedly smart enough to be in this elite European school despite not having five braincells between his ears, the 'mysteries' are basically solved by Aoi Yuki reading the script, the most interesting part of the whole thing is told in the background, the teacher is a godawful moron, the action is well-animated but often makes no real sense, EVERY FUCKING CHARACTER HAS A DOUBLE which is something you only get away with very sparsely or done very well (eg The Prestige), and it suffers from the usual issue of LN adaptations: uneven pacing, weird compression of time and terrible balance between 'episodic' and 'arc'.

It's just shit. Bones' nadir and no doubt.

As for 'have to like the whole loli spiel', please. I didn't feel this offended by Illya (in fact, plan to watch Oath Under Snow on bluray finally in a bit) and that's WAY more fanservicy. This has almost nothing to do with the MC being a loli. If anything, I found that irrelevant to how much is just straight up bad about that show.

HEY, you asked.

My poor partner really enjoyed what little she saw of it when it aired but even she had to admit it went to shit not long into it. And we're both huge Aoi Yuki/Sawashiro fans. Huge.

Glad it was only 20 bucks. Jeeze I'd feel bad paying full price for that show.

___

We know we're truly behind when the next season of LOGH:DNT comes out. Haha.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
hmm ok, don't remember too much about the series but i thought is was quite on the level of other things back that time. hmm 2011... i think the worst story/character was deadman wonderland back then... or kamisama no memochou gods^^
Anyway thanks for clarifying. I always thought they just liked letting mc kun speak her name over and over again because they liked the sound. And i don't even remembered the teacher!
And with the loli spiel i meant the strange fixation of every character in the show constantly reminding the viewer how cute/dolllike/awesome victorica looks.
I think what most annoyed me back then was that any and all conflict mc kun had was reseolved in the first or second episode. after that he was there to call her name and to get into trouble.

Anyway, i thought quite normal for the early 10s in case of romance anime. They seldomly made sense, support characters where mainly there for comedy or deus ex machina and the male MC had "please insert yourself" written all over him.
Ah fuck me, Higurashi is actually as good as they all said.

I really shouldn't have started watching it at 2am last night.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
there exists real anime horror? i don't believe you(outside of shinsekei yori and that shows horror is something else entirely)

and J.C pulled a fast one with Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road, can it be that this show isn't bad?!
Last edited by tsunamikun on Apr 2, 2022, 6:21:29 PM
I don't find Higurashi horrifying at all. Or Hell Girl. Or anything deemed as horror in any entertainment medium. I'm too good at enjoying a work as a work rather than 'getting into it'. That doesn't mean I didn't find myself slack-jawed at some of the revelations in Higurashi -- they're incredibly well delivered and foreshadowed. That's my awe at the storytelling craft, not my horror at the internal reality of the show.

I can watch or read so-called horror in bed at 3am no worries. Hereditary? Midsommar? Get Out? Sure. Cheap horror with jump scares don't interest me UNLESS they're also well-made. I like the novel l 'IT' but the remakes had way too many cheap jump scares, for example, and sadly the original TV miniseries was far too sanitised.

But I did find the basic idea of kids facing a terror that adults couldn't or wouldn't acknowledge horrifying. That's very realistic.

So what I find horrifying is what most people would call 'drama'. Movies about dying. Diseases crippling families. Financial ruin. Emotional isolation. Gaslighting. True horror for me rarely includes anything supernatural or fantastic. It has to be possible for me to feel horror at it, and the more likely, the more horrifying it is.

In anime, this actually does exist (Perfect Blue's an easy example, as is Grave of the Fireflies) but it's very rare because, well, why choose a medium like animation if you can just act it out?

When I said I shouldn't have started watching it at 2am, I didn't mean it scared me. I mean I burned through 30+ episodes in a hit.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 3, 2022, 3:03:29 AM
Sorry for the very late response. I read your post right after I saw it, but... life's been bad, I guess. Since then I've only watched one single non-anime thing, but I gathered enough mental resources to log in and answer here, and I'm making a list. Already added most of FCK's suggestions.

"
Is it cats specifically you don't like in terms of zoomorphisation or animals in general? Conversely, how do you feel about anthropomorphisation? [...]

Mostly your criteria reads as someone who wants to watch more anime but is bringing with them prejudices from those who don't or won't.

I have only seen cat ears in animated series and movies throughout the years. Before anime became popular, I wouldn't differ between anime and non-anime, but I already had certain aesthetic preferences, and 'girls with ears' used to put me off. Then I didn't know the exact definition of anime, so I didn't even realise some works I knew from the past WERE classified as anime. Nowadays I am still often unsure whether something is an anime or not (I saw the dfinition may cover both all-from-Japan and stereotypical-anime works). Is The Mysterious Cities of Gold an anime or not? I have no clue. I only know I liked it.

You're right in that I'll likely get used to it. After all, I played Genshin Impact (after I decided I'm not a big fact of its graphic style). And own that one in an animal costume, but man was it annoying me.

"
I'd recommend watching Mononoke Hime first: similar themes, more tightly handled.

Princess Mononoke? I know this one! I think I watched it right before asking the question in off-topic. I think I found out this also counts as anime fairly recently. I used to think anime always have episodes and seasons... :P

"
In fact, I'd recommend movies first anyway, since they tend to have far superior animation and still capture some of the best of the medium: Redline, Sword of the Stranger, Perfect Blue, Paprika, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children, Summer Wars. These are all excellent productions that rely on some of the recurring themes in anime, such as: identity, heroism, reality vs dream, family, out of control technology, time travel. If you want those more heftily explored, then you can move onto Steins;Gate and Paranoia Agent and whatever else.

I'll check all of these, thanks.

"
Something not considered great but entertaining. Dan Brown wrote/writes shitty page-turners, which to me is a contradiction in terms but I think I get the gist.

Pfff. I'm not an expert (I feel really stupid while composing this message, in fact), but I think a lot of people enjoy him, his style and his genre (assuming the genre is danbrown). Page-turners are entertaining to people who like page-turners. I read one of his books as a teenager and really enjoyed it, but at the same time I was aware it was not the greatest literature. I also don't recall reading 'anything like that' back then. Unless we meant a different meaning of 'great literature' — harlequin romances aren't considered great either, but there are probably great works within the genre... and entertaining.

"
On second thought, I'd put Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on the same 'Dan Brown-like' shelf: it's very page turny, is beloved, can be trashy but for the most part is deeply entertaining if you can attune to the author's style.

Sometimes I judge books by their covers and anime by their fanbases. I had such bad encounters with Jojo that I put this anime somewhere 50 points below Rick & Morty.

"
for non-anime folks who might not know how to sail the salty seas or sub to anime-specific services such as Crunchyroll, Hidive and Funimation.

*notes aggresively*

"
In fact, that's my primary recommendation based on what you've said.

*spends a minute wondering if it was an insult, but decides against it*

"
As for other entry-level anime series recommendations? Rahxephon for an Eva style show that actually made sense without psychological dissection,

This sounds interesting.

"
March Comes In Like a Lion for the best high school drama (it's ostensibly about 'sport' [Shogi] but that's just a scaffolding for much bigger themes, and cares about characters of all ages making it quite universal), Legend Of the Galactic Heroes for the best long-running sci-fi/war story ever animated (110 episodes original series/24ish so far in the remake), Shadow's House for intrigue and style, My Hero Academia for consistent quality, and Jujutsu Kaisen for supernatural action that doesn't compromise.

This t... ah, screw it, I'll add all of them.

"
The same can be said for the greatest anime series ever made, but you aren't ready for that yet. After all, it has a cat girl.

(: Thanks for the recommendations!
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
FCK42 wrote:
Iangyratu, should you at some point come to terms with animal ears and tails, there's one of the (imo) best fantasy anime that was ever made that has essentially a wolf girl as one of the two main characters. Spice and Wolf. It's absolutely amazing and goddamn I wish we could get more seasons of that. Maybe once Mushoku Tensei is over we can get Studio Bind to work on it with the same kind of budget? That'd be great.

Also, if you want a list of shows to watch as some sort of shock treatment for fancervice and/or any sort of combination of animals and humans, just ask. There's a lot. More than you'd ever think there was. And I've seen more of those than I'd be willing to admit.

And thanks again! I am afraid with the list I got from you and Charan it will take years before I can post here again :P
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
Iangyratu wrote:
Is The Mysterious Cities of Gold an anime or not? I have no clue. I only know I liked it.

Mysterious Cities of Gold is technically NOT an anime but it was a co-production with a famous anime studio: Studio Pierrot. It has a Japanese title (Taiyou no Esteban: Esteban of the Sun) with a big profile Japanese cast (Nozawa 'Goku' Masako plays the titular character) AND a very rare Japanese soundtrack. You can definitely find merch for it in Japan with a little digging. It was part of a wave of Franco-Japanese 'pseudo-anime' of the early to mid 80s that included Ulysses 31 and Inspector Gadget.

It's also a fucking amazing show to this day -- we rewatched it a few years ago having acquired a dvd set. Almost zero filler, decent English dub, pretty compelling story, catchy as hell opening, and unique setting. A wee bit racist in the 'after show true facts' segment, but eh, that's the 80s for you.

I'd say that Mysterious Cities of Gold was the best animated serial aimed at kids until Avatar: The Last Airbender came along. Gargoyles and Batman: The Animated Series were also great but they were also aimed more at teens and up. That said, MCOG has a much stronger claim to 'anime' than any of those, given it was animated largely by a Japanese studio.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 16, 2022, 1:28:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info