:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

I'll start watching Log Horizon today, based on good mentions here. Hope its good. Already enjoyed other reccomendations I watched
Spreading salt since 2006
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jun 4, 2018, 8:58:54 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
no offense lagwin but you lost my ear regarding anime a while back.

I could say the same.

The thing is opinions are going to be different.

It's like people liking pineapple on their pizza...if that's enough to make you disregard anything that person says though, well that's your problem
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jun 4, 2018, 8:58:45 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:

I just want to come back to this because I brought it up with the GF, who is an epic Sailor Moon nut (even her defunct PoE avatar is sailor moon themed!). I framed it as the reactions from 'a friend' and not 'some sick old man on the Internet',

Which is all to say, Sailor Moon probably isn't for you. :P

Thanks, for the 'sick old man quote' .. man flu is not fun. At least im not perverted :)

Yeah, twas Sailor Moon Crystal (I looked it up on the TV guide) just to put things into perspective. I think what did it in for me was the talking cat. Seriously... Although I like the Jiji out of Kiki's Delivery Service, go figure.

I've been watching a few of the SAO alternatives on youtube, and I have to say I really like the premise of a few of them. Log Horizon has an older type of artwork that appeals to me a little more. Dark tones and more line art is awesome to see, although that was all the rage in the late 80's early 90's
:)

Same reason I like Babylon 5 more than the Star Trek series from the same time. One's drawn gritty and dark and the other is all light and brightness.

Thanks for all the great suggestions,

Cheers,
Matt.
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
Last edited by essemoni on Jun 4, 2018, 9:30:08 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Oh but Babylon 5 had some shockingly bad dialogue. I can't get past that. That's just me though. I found DS9 gritty enough once it figured out what it was. Discovery was also pretty harsh but if you're talking overall aesthetics for dark and gritty in your tv scifi, it's probably hard to beat BSG even now. The Expanse comes damn close, and it makes a hell of a lot more sense than BSG too.

Back to anime though, you've probably seen us discussing Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I think aesthetically it might be the most 80s anime I've seen, ever, but with a commitment to ongoing story and a positively Tolstoyan number of characters you just didn't see back then. I strongly recommend you try the remake (which is only a handful of episodes so far), see if you dig the feel of it, and then sub to hidive for a month or two (5 USD a month) to watch the original 110 episode epic. Maybe when you're not so sick though.

I recently saw this Akira project where a few CG experts created a fully 3d-rendered trailer for the movie, often copying the original shot for shot. it was technically impressive but really seemed to miss the point of why Akira is a masterpiece very unlikely to be replaced -- they don't make them like Akira anymore, and to paraphrase Ghostbusters, they *never* made them like Akira. But there's a whole generation of MAL-babies now who will probably never grasp the artistic brilliance of that movie.

Which is sad.

Akira was the 2nd anime 'movie' that I saw in its entirety. I loved it.

Wicked City was the first, I still like it, but there is better out there now.

Ponyo is probably my all time favourite - i know, kids movie, but this 40 something and my 4 year old love it :)

Cheers,
Matt.

Cheers,
Matt
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I've yet to see Wind Rises but anything made after Spirited Away that wasn't Ponyo just failed to resonate with me.
You're off by one movie; The Cat Returns was great and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. I tend to agree with you about most of the later ones.You arelady listed Kaguyahime, which was also great, but very much not what people think of as "standard" Ghibli) as a sort-of exception - outside of that they've been good enough, enjoyable films, but lacking a little bit of that magic. I've also not seen The Wind Rises yet, need to get around to that.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I recently saw this Akira project where a few CG experts created a fully 3d-rendered trailer for the movie, often copying the original shot for shot. it was technically impressive but really seemed to miss the point of why Akira is a masterpiece very unlikely to be replaced -- they don't make them like Akira anymore, and to paraphrase Ghostbusters, they *never* made them like Akira. But there's a whole generation of MAL-babies now who will probably never grasp the artistic brilliance of that movie.

Which is sad.
If you haven't already seen it, I think you'd like this video on Akira by Super Eyepatch Wolf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVoEpRIaKg (and I recommend his content in general).
Huh... today's episode of DFXX was... trigger. Very much so. They just HAD to make it ancient galactic battle for the survival of entire species. Well, what did I expect.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Alright, up to episode 17 (haven't watched that one yet) of Steins;Gate. I admit, I should've watched it sooner. However, I found a lot of the plot twists thus far predictable. Very much so sometimes. Or maybe I was just paying WAY too much attention to the details. Still, I'm gonna finish it rather soon. I hope. Not sure though if I'll have the determination to do EVA right after it... probably not. I'll have to postpone that monster a while longer, but I will get to it.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Definitely not EVA. LOGH.

LO FUCKING GH

Oh god, that's going to be another... what, 100? 110? episodes... I KNOW that it's great, but it's so... long.
The again, the other series I wanted to tackle soon wouldn't be any shorter in its entirety (Was thinking about Fate. Pretty much all of it)...
Decisions, decisions.

HisoMaso stuff
Well, I was more or less expecting the majority of what happened this episode. I wonder though how these new problems will be dealt with... I'm kinda scared of the next episode :/
The only Fate series I've watched all the way through was Fate / Apocrypha. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't find it difficult to follow, despite the limited extent of my prior exposure to the "Fate" universe.

<Insert obligatory piece here about ways in which F/A stands apart from other Fate works, and how some consider it inferior because of inferior source material, and so on> ... Still, if somebody is time-constrained but interested in getting a "taste of Fate", then a standalone like F/A seems a decent choice.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed Fate / Stay Night as well, though, and it looks like another solid choice.

I also enjoyed Evangelion, essentially binging on it over the course of a few days some years back. It had a distinctive feel compared to other anime I've watched, which made the series more memorable for me, and which seems to make sense given the real world issues going on at Gainax at the time.

Tiramisu is good for at least one good belly laugh and at least one solid groaner for every brief episode so far. For the seven minutes of time it takes to watch an episode my wife and I have found it worth following, at least so far.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Jun 11, 2018, 12:12:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info