Transfigured gem logic

Uber lab offers a choice of getting the specific skills transfigured version. That narrows is down to max 2 outcomes. Also yes, buying them from others also is valid alternative. Some versions are also expensive so it can be easy choice for early income. Normal lab takes like 5 minutes, throw in 20% quality gem and you just made some C. Its less RNG than most things in this game.
Last edited by kuciol on Jan 2, 2024, 4:08:20 AM
Tthere is no meta shakeup because to do that, you need to nerf previous meta skills to the ground. People will play same shit over and over again as long its as strong as it was before. You could give 100 new skills that are on par with current meta skills, most people would still play TS.
"
"
Phrazz wrote:
People will probably come into this thread and tell you that you "can just buy the gem". While that's true, it clearly doesn't make the choice of gating the gems behind the lab any better.

So for my build, I wanted a speific Soulrend. This is no different than a Flameblaster I did that needed a very speific Flameblast (speifically the one that starts big, and narrows its AoE down) several leagues past. The experence of getting them has been night and day.

The flameblaster had to do maps for about 120 hours (This is just a blind guess, I have no idea how long it took, but it was a process of about a dedicated month and a half) to gather the blueprints and rogues markers (keeping in mind that only 30% of blueprints where even useful to this end), then I had to run those blueprints and just crossed my fingers that the right gem would show up. It was an utter crapshot that could in theroy have taken forever.

This soulrend I spent a day doing labs, I just stocked up on some soulrends from Lilly and ran Merc Labs, and dipped it in "Pick 3 gem of a matching color", and the "Random Alt of that skill" when it appeared (which currently is just a coin flip for the right version when it came up). Even losing that coinflip once, it still only took a day, maybe twelve runs (that yielded a few other gems, and netted me a 15% quality bump to a gem I could have passed on, but 15 gemcutters seems like a deal for a lvl 68 lab run that only takes like 15 minutes). This was simple enough of a task I didn't even feel the need to PoELabs, it only took 2ish runs to figure out a good enough route with a few shrines along the way.

So what was basically an all league chase to even get a build working right, it was just one day of work. Of course both versions can just opt to buy the item, but this version is MUCH more accessable, and MUCH more clearly marked (as you are flagged by the game to do the lab, an uninformed player will clearly see the route to self discover the alternate gems, which they might not have even done so with the heist gating).

Also they already had to balance a ton of extra gems with the previous method, so they didn't really change their workload in that regard. A lot of these can just be personal taste, like the Soulrend that just turns it into a frontloaded chaos missile rather than a dot, if you like chaos but don't want a DoT, well there's a simple tool. I just wanted a spell that felt thematic with a cyclone, and Spiral Soulrend fits that bill enough.

"
Are people just randomly transfiguring gems as they level? I don't get the logic of how this process is expected to work.

I'd hope not, much like you shouldn't just slam chaos into the gear your currently using. Generally you've got a second gem you're dipping into the divine faunt for the non-deterministic results. Obviously a simple +10M EXP to a gem is fine to push a gem into max level, or push an awakened gem up a bit, or to slam some extra quality on a gem. If you're looking for Alt gems, you'll just shove some lower value gems, either ones retired out of a build (like transitional skills you used until you could get high enough level to use the actual skills you want), or just random trash gems you scraped off the floor or bought from a vender or got as a reward from a quest. And this is assuming you're just blind testing what's out there, and don't already know the alternate you're gunning for.

OK but like I mentioned in the OP I'm not a hardcore PoE player so this process makes little sense. You either have to already know the transfigured gem you want to get ahead of time (not likely for many people) or you would need to just bring random extra gems to randomly transfigure (I wouldn't even know where to start and again you would need to have an idea of what you wanted ahead of time) or you would need to be extremely risky and potentially change/break your build to transfigure gems you are currently using (likely not viable for most people). So again...where is the logic in this process? Seems to only benefit a small sliver of hardcore players that *might* want to experiment and leaves everyone else with nothing except a boring quality upgrade?

I can't imagine GGG expected this new "feature" to boil down to just quality upgrades on gems but I have no idea. I'm not really in the loop on all the details and minutia of PoE which is why I was curious about any logic to this decision that I didn't understand.
Or you just have litterally any gem in your stash during the first Lab. Or the second assuming you're fully blind and cautious. So the 'I litterally have no information player' who is also cautious follows this path;

1: Do lab one, a clearly marked path guided by a quest and build up.
2: Finish the lab (winning an ascendancy) and discovering the divine font using their eyes, thus learning that transfigured gems exist.
3: Either take a blind dive using a gem they are using (maybe they happen to have an old gem in their stash they kept, keeping in mind, you have a stash in that room). If they do take the dive, they may brick a skill (easily replaced from a vender at this point), and they get the lesson of "don't roll dice on important stuff without a backup". If they don't, they get the lesson of "Have a spare gem when you run the lab".

In both verisons, they also get the tools they need to learn more via googling PoE Transifigured Gems if they're not down for hoeing the long road of discovery.

This is worlds better than the previous option, where these gems existed (more or less), but where gated behind a gated activity you can't even try until Part 2, and cannot accomplish until 68 as an absolute minimum. Same for folks who follow guides who keep asking where they get awakened gems. Or heck, how you craft, which has zero roadmarkers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info