Why so much hate again Cosmetic MTX in D4?

I like all the other "players" in the background heh. Wandering around aimlessly, harvesting some herbs, doing noob things. Pretty good!
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
I like all the other "players" in the background heh. Wandering around aimlessly, harvesting some herbs, doing noob things. Pretty good!

Their usage of focus and depth of field is excellent.
The name says it all.
"
God damn it, I was like don't be 420, don't be 420...oh well.

But yes, you are right.

OTOH, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GXLVn73yRY

This remind me of the time when I was a newbie in a MMO where this guy was running around town showing everybody his sword. Rare beautiful extremely expensive sword. Apparently that is a thing in MMO.

Easy mode in the beginning, Just for Newbie gears. They don't do that for higher end gears.

Not accurate depiction for end game for P2W MMO games. End game gears are often put it into loot boxes or roulette wheel in P2W games requiring hundreds or thousand of dollar of spending for a reasonable chance getting, trapping you with Pay to gamble mechanics... You often don't even get what you want.

What is worse is refining your gear to higher grade which is the black hole of gamble. This can differ between games.

"Pay to win" games just as grindy as "play to win" games. Skipping some grind in the infinite grind loop is like taking a day off at work. You getting right back to work tomorrow.

But yea day off.

Last edited by awesome999 on Dec 31, 2022, 3:18:38 AM
Speaking for myself, i havent preordered D4, dont plan to buy it as soon as it launches and will read users reviews before i make my mind

Its a matter of trust for me. I had a lot of faith for blizzard once and still have found memories of the classics they put out. But that was more than a decade ago, did the turn happened with the fusion with activison? I dont know and i dont really care, activison also made some damn good games in their time: civ 5 is still instaled on my computer and paraoh is one of my favorite games ever, did they turned into a cod factory before or after the merge? Idk and i dont care

But what i DO know is that blizzard is coming from a seriously long streak os failures that extends pretty much since overwatch almost a decade ago and the diablo team in particular have been showing cracks since even before that:
D3 was an absolute fiasco, the game on release was almost a reflection of the average p2w mobile: Strong campaign to lure you into it and end-game "technically" free, but locked behind a drop rate that basically forced you to fork more $ to progress. The real money auction house was bashed since before day 1, as people feared it would be the centerpiece of the game and it would be completely balanced around it. The game still sold very well, mainly by name and because the campaign was legit good(again, like most parasitic games on mobile tend to be), casuals and suits behind the title were happy, but more dedicated players were left with that sour taste awfully similar to gatcha games tends to produce, but w/e... maybe it was just a misstep, starcraft 2 improved greatly since the flawed launch, so hope was not lost

But thing is, blizzard have been doubling down on the failures after scoring one last time on overwatch: Hearthstone is becoming more and more like the average mobile card game that is also technically free, but in reality, you either pay and play a t2/1 deck or get ready to eat massive loss streaks(on unranked, dont even bother with ranked), wow and starcraft are feeling more and more lifeless, starcraft and heroes of the storm are pretty much dead and buried as far as blizzard itself is concerned, wow is having a slow death with the story becoming stale and expansions becoming lighter and lighter in features and innovations. The more recent projects dont help either: Either they are just re-launches of the old games with minimal effort(D ressurected and i dont even remember what brood war remade was called...) or straight up botched(warcraft 3 was murdered by that abomination). The only games that can be called new since overwatch are DI(basically a standard mobile gatcha) and OW2(dont care about shooters, but comments have not being nice)

I for one dont have anything bad about cosmetics being paid, even if the game is not free-to-play, paying for cosmetics is a legit move, it helps to keep the company invested in the game, wich helps to keep more meaningful stuff coming, like balance patches and such. Its perfectly legit for developers to use packs of cosmetics as measure the monetary potential the game still have. Fighting games are super notorious for gating even new characters behind pay-walls, and its still fine in my book, as the money that goes there is what keeps more characters coming, the DLC era is here and its not completely bad, games now are not forced to stay in launch state forever, making ways to keep making money allows a game to keep evolving past initial projections, as long as it dont crosses too many lines and devolves into p2w, i would say payd DLC is perfectly fine

For me the problem with D4 is less about the game itself and more about the team behind it: The diablo team is the team i percieve as the most shady among the new blizzard. They forced the RMAH on D3 and made every balance around it exactly in the way people very vocally worded against. They essencialy created there a blueprint of a gatcha game, only adressed it after legal action(they removed the RMAH after a while, but i find more plausible being because a number of legal troubles involving parents of impulsive kids than because the negative repercussions of it) and doing so they made the fist step in the direction of monetorazing gameplay, something blizzard at the time was very praised for being above, AND they are the team behind the first clear-cut gatcha game of the company

Maybe D4 will turn different, but as it is, i just fail to see any reason i should bellieve it will not turn into another money-grab with super good early-game. I would love to be proven wrong, but the company story REALLY dont help(and making jabs at the competition is not a good sign either, sega did this before imploding spetacularly, for one example. Blizz is in NO position to jab ANYONE over monetarizarion, and that behavior is almost typical of bad producers, not just in videogames)

End of rant(kudos for you if youre still here :) )
^

Let me get this straight.

You are going to wait post launch of D4, to see what rando's on the internet and Twitch tell you to do with it? That's super sad.

I find it truly incomprehensible that anyone in this genre, if they truly are arpg fans, are just going to completley pass on D4. I flat out dont believe it.

And this virtue signaling public sentiment on Blizzard is just so cringe. There are plenty of Mega-Corps that operate with profits and shareholder responsibilities at the top of their list, or have a few man-children in place at the top of the org. Are we really going stop buying coca-cola, not buy iPhones, not buy Jordan's, boycott Amazon? I mean come the fuck on.

Fact is D4 is going to be panned a bit on social media platforms for the reactions, while simultaneously blowing out records. I don't understand why it feels good to hate on Blizzard or take the moral high ground, or say you dont "trust them", and then go on to buy the products. Its actually laughable.

I wish we could go back to a time where players just played games, and shut the fuck up about their personal rationale for why they did or didnt play. In truth no one cares, and quite frankly evidence shows these public proclamations dont even match up to product performance.

Sigh I guess the toothpaste is outta the tube, but this generation of sensitive, media influenced, faux-gamers are super annoying imo.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Not trusting company with massive streaks of failure and waiting for general public perception before buying and not preordering is super sad aparently

Its also aparently incomprehensible that one would be cautious of a AAA title, "true arpg fans" eat every major title nowadays

Virtue signaling of a sentiment on a company may be cringe, but if youre going to point it out, at least get the point correctly: Nobody said a crap about caring about money, the point was how they: Destroyed the core gameplay on D3 for it AND they havent released a single decent title since overwatch. If Coca, Apple, Jordan, Amazon, or w/e start a massive(almost a decade long) string of failures OFF COURSE ill stop buying from them, or at least get suspicious of any new launch

Fact id D4 is gonna be praised by the professional reviews, its no secret videogame journalism is a joke nowadays. Yes, its also gonna make lots of money, but then, "friday" also made tons of money, as did the "twilight" series, so, yeah...

I wish people would stop stop complaining about complaining, especially when they also are point out how "nobody cares" or how they should "shut up about their rationale", its almost as if those points could go both ways...

I also agree: This generation of sensitive people(show up to spew poison because i dont preorder the game! And to call someone for being skeptical of a company of a with a decade-long streak of stinkers, imagine that...), media-influenced(because nothing shows your above the influence like blind loyalty to a company no matter how much repeated failures), faux-gamers(wathever a non-faux is... people who preorders AAA aparently...) is kinda annoying
"
feike wrote:
Not trusting company with massive streaks of failure and waiting for general public perception

Exactly what my point was.

What does public perception matter in terms of your game enjoyment? If it's a significant amount that's 100% a you problem. Trust your friends, trust your family. Trust Twitter, some rando streamer, or IGN? Get the fuck all the way outta here lmao. I for sure wont care what a Ziz YouTube video says, or take whatever Kotaku shits out to heart. You do you though.

And as for Blizzard, describing their library of games as a "massive streak of failure" tells us way more about you then it does them imo.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
feike wrote:
Not trusting company with massive streaks of failure and waiting for general public perception

Exactly what my point was.

What does public perception matter in terms of your game enjoyment? If it's a significant amount that's 100% a you problem. Trust your friends, trust your family. Trust Twitter, some rando streamer, or IGN? Get the fuck all the way outta here lmao. I for sure wont care what a Ziz YouTube video says, or take whatever Kotaku shits out to heart. You do you though.

And as for Blizzard, describing their library of games as a "massive streak of failure" tells us way more about you then it does them imo.

Talk like ones personal opinion is COMPLETELY detached from public opinion

Perhaps you are the special snowflake that have tastes completely different from the rest of mankind, but for the majority of the human race, we can agree on what is bad or good, even in general terms. And as a gamer, i actually CAN spot a legit review and an empity one, if you think apraising public opinion is just look at the numbers on metacritic, thats a foolish notion. I can spot a honest review coming from a similar-minded individual because i actually read the texts. You seem to be oblivious of the notion, and as result just swallow wathever hype garbage there is and YOU want to tell ME to make my own mind? Please...

Really, if your point is that there is risk in trusting others opinions, thats fair, but dont bull yourself here: You preordered the thing, THAT ITSELF is already more intelectually dubious than waiting for initial hype to set down and apraise general opinion, doubly so when the company have a recent, long streak of failures. You are blindly jumping into the wagon for no reason other than the name of the franquise, THATS your definition of "make your own mind"?

As for describing their library as "massive streak of failure" talks about me... well, it also talks a lot about you... You see, you made no effort to why its wrong to say each idividual game is rotting and since its not exactly secret what is the general opinion about warcraft reforged, diablo immortal, and the likes is, i really dont know who you are trying to fool here

Your previous post was full of dodging points to call names and talk big words. You clearly cant see the rot taking place, but thats fine i suppose, at least its fanatism on something not serious like religion or politics
^

Sure ok. What did I dodge? I simply, flat out, 100% disagree with you on this topic, and also the general notion that a game must have popular public agreement to be good, or as a precursor to me liking it. Again there is some projection here on your part with your consumer spending habits and enjoyment. Sorry for you.

Hell I loved D3 for example. I still play it seasonally. It was one of the most successful games of all time and people, especially here, like to shit on it. Such an orignal, edgy off-meta stance... /s

And if you really want to die on the hill with that Blizzard library take go ahead, it's a horrific take to be sure, by any measure, but again, that just impacts the credibility of your opinion. I do get what you are trying to do. That Blizz bad GGG (or whoever) good. Its such a low-brow binary take idk what to say. Rot? Lmfao yea I'm sure they will be totally bankrupt from this rot very soon. Wow my man.

And finally I have not pre-ordered D4 yet. I had fully intended to, but I will be on Vacation right at launch, and the early access benefit wouldnt get used. I still may for the other bonuses, but truly $100 means fuck-all to me anyways.

- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Sure ok. What did I dodge? I simply, flat out, 100% disagree with you on this topic

Not gonna even try to deny or admit how it was just a bunch of name-calling and big-word-dropping? Well thats one example of dodging...

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
and also the general notion that a game must have popular public agreement to be good, or as a precursor to me liking it

Please, tell me where i said a game needs to have general notion of being good... Im fairly sure average opinion on D3 was positive, but again, mostly people who play camp once and discart. I dont have anything against such people, but im also well aware that their opinion is not my opinion. I said: I can detect a review coming from a LIKE-MINDED INDIVIDUAL. That is: Someone who plays and discects the game, like the average poe player: THOSE tend to agree that D3 was a fiasco, you think the opinion of the average gamer, who buys stuff just because its AAA and dont play beyond camp matters to me?

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I still play it seasonally. It was one of the most successful games of all time and people, especially here, like to shit on it. Such an orignal, edgy off-meta stance...

Yeah, yeah, i know it was a fincancial hit, but then as i already said in the previous post, appeal to financial sucess as measure of quality... And as i said, the opinion of the average joe about D3 is likely positive, so calling my stance as "off meta" in such an ironic way just makes a fool out of you, you dont even seem to be aware of the general stance towards the very game you defend

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
And if you really want to die on the hill with that Blizzard library take go ahead, it's a horrific take to be sure, by any measure, but again, that just impacts the credibility of your opinion. I do get what you are trying to do

No, you dont... you seem to think im on a crusade against the company, in true im just venting some air, but i hold no illusion that my word will make or break the company. You are the one that came with that post with tons of poison like i insulted your moma. If anyone is seriously trying to accomplish something here, its not me...(protip: Take your own advice, blizz also dont give a damn about what YOU think, no need to protect their pride with such fire, youre not gonna win a prize for it)
Also, do take the hint: You are ALSO exposing your stance, and that ALSO affects the credibility of YOUR opinion. Really, the amounts of stones you trew in just 3 posts seemly unaware that your house is made of glass is something indeed

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
And finally I have not pre-ordered D4 yet. I had fully intended to, but I will be on Vacation right at launch, and the early access benefit wouldnt get used

Okay, but just for you to know: Google search of terms "pre ordering", "Diablo 4", and your tag results into this:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I think a number of people will want to play right away and pretty much pay whatever(like I'm pre-ordering the $100 D4 Edition and couldn't care less), but yet others might wait until things are on sale post-release. For example, I think I paid $9.99 for Cyberpunk, and haven't even played it yet.

*shrug*
And yeah, a 100 buck bill less would not break me either, dont change the fact cleaning my ass with it just because that fact would still be a kinda moronic thing to do

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info