Last edited by elesham4ever on Jun 16, 2023, 1:25:45 PM
Last bumped on Jul 2, 2022, 9:54:09 AM
It's a very good demo of a game but it doesn't have any features that would make you want to play it beyond Hell 2. I'll probably be shelving it myself once I hit 30 and get a 4-piece set. I'll try it again once they allow class switches (with no shared progression it had better be free....)

With the paragon catchup mechanic and lukewarm daily rewards the game practically begs you *NOT* to play it.
Played the story, uninstalled, back to Titan Quest Legendary Edition for my mobile ARPG needs.

Also, you're creating a false dichotomy OP. It's not Diablo Immortal GGG were ever worried about -- it was always a China-aimed p2w NetEase game with no GGG analogue beyond PoE Mobile, which...doesn't even exist yet. It's the other upcoming Blizzard game that should have GGG a little concerned. The one that is currently being developed by D2 fanatics (and I'd bet my admittedly dwindling wealth some ex-GGG staff) who very much want to pretend Diablo Immortal doesn't exist and firmly believe Diablo 3 was a huge mistake.

The name says it all.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on Jun 19, 2022, 5:48:07 PM
d2 fanatics? well lets hope thats what theyve been doing with their lives. genuinely, because we need d4 to be a good game.

the lead dev of d4 did an interview with someone, might have been quinn, where he talked about how proud he was of his d3 character. he boasted, to prove his diablo franchise street cred, that he had a paragon 600 demon hunter he was "very proud of."

paragon 600.

dedicated d3 players get to paragon 600 in a new league from lvl1 in a matter of hours. so not only did this guy not hate on d3, he seemed to really like d3, and he was also really shit at it and has barely played it. he hasnt played poe either but says a few people in the office have.

so the current arpg world has been dominated by 2 games over the last decade, poe and diablo 3, the lead dev of blizzards new arpg has maybe the equiv of 4 hours experience playing both titles combined. thats the guy whos running the show over there.

i really hope the reason he has virtually never played the 2 most significant arpgs of the last decade isnt because he just doesnt play aprgs, but its because he forgot to share with us in that interview he was a d2 fanatic who just couldnt drag himself away from d2 to really play d3 or poe at all essentially.

i really hope thats the case, because bliz wouldnt give a guy the role as lead dev of their new arpg who didnt really have a clue about arpgs right?

remember jay wilson from d3? the lead dev? he said in an interview when he was given the job of lead dev on diablo 3 he had never played diablo2, and that it was great because he then got to play diablo 2 for the first time and see the new players perspective to understand what he needed to change for diablo3.

that worked out really well for d3 im sure we can all agree.
*shrug* I choose to be hopeful and lose nothing if I'm wrong. (game sucks, I play other things)

Others choose to be sceptical and lose quite a lot if they're wrong and can't admit it. (game's awesome, they can't admit it, womp womp.)

I sort of outgrew the whole kneejerk 'well it happened last time it'll happen the same way again' attitude once I learned how to look at nuance and differences from one event to the next (i.e. long before PoE was even a thing). And should I find the nuance and differences insufficient to be hopeful (see Path of Exile 4.0's circumstances), then I too will be sceptical...but I will admit I am wrong should it turn out to be such.

It's weird how people cause themselves so much pain and deprivation just be being stubborn and investing feelings into the success or failure of someone else's work. It costs $0.00 to change your mind based on evidence, and of course that goes both ways (again, see my radical shift regarding Path of Exile). The cost comes before that, when you commit to one thing or another. When you have strong faith. If anyone would know about that here, it's me.

And even that's an example of nuance and difference. I wouldn't go back and tell 2012 me 'DON'T DO IT!' because it was the right decision for me at the time in regards to what GGG was doing, what Chris was proposing, and where I was financially. And of course they don't get a cent out of me now (especially not now -- my assets have pulled a real Goose this past week or two, but I'm hardly in that boat alone so I'm not apt to bitch about it), although practical folk would be like 'bit late don't you think?' but then I'd refer back to that previous point. Me then was happy to support; me now is happy not to. Who I am now is not who I was then; what GGG/PoE are now is not what GGG/PoE were then.

And if that's true, then it's equally true that Blizzard now is not who Blizzard was when they made Diablo 3. If anything, they're far more different now to who they were then compared to the relatively static GGG: the change in ownership to a company that isn't a Chinese megacorp, the loss of key OG D3/WoW staff thanks to the sexual misconduct scandal, the almost certitude that some GGG staff jumped for D4 because fuck knows Blizzard pay a lot better than GGG and they aren't owned by Tencent, the incessant push to show that D4 wants to look and feel like a modern day D2 rather than Diablo through the cartoony lens of WoW -- all of these things should factor into the chance of D4 being very unlike D3. But I've said this elsewhere with various voices, so no need to repeat it here.

I choose to be hopeful with D4 based on my observations and understanding of the situation. I really don't give a fuck what anyone else chooses to be, and I'm as eager to change their mind as I am to have them try to change mine. That assumes mutual respect, which is earned, not given. Sort of like friendship, only with probably a bit more effort required. Either way, this is a 'live and let live' conclusion. To quote Maverick, 'it's the only one I've got.'

It's the only one you're going to get.
The name says it all.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
but I will admit I am wrong should it turn out to be such.

i dont rly see what right and wrong has to do with it, why would anyone invest into an opinion on a future game in such a way? the game will either be good or it will suck, we will know when it releases.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
It's weird how people cause themselves so much pain and deprivation just be being stubborn and investing feelings into the success or failure of someone else's work

i dont see anyone here doing that.

im about paragon 1000 in the current diablo 3 season i think, i played it for a couple of evenings. why would i invest anything emotionally into wanting d4 to fail? why would i want it to fail at all? equally why would i invest anything emotionally into hoping its a great success when theyre such a catastrophe of a company who gets so much wrong?

its a game, i love the genre and the franchise, of course i hope its a good game cause i want a good game to play. im not gonna get emotional about it either way.

are you talking about your own feelings here?
"
elesham4ever wrote:
...GGG has nothing to worry about. What a terrible, sorry, sad, pathetic attempt at a dungeon crawler.

i dont think GGG was ever worried about DI...D4 on the other hand....
I mean, Chris already said it - DI is not a game. And it turns out it isnt, it's a money scam aimed at leeching cash from mobile pseudo gambling addicts. And since the amount of gambling addicts and suckers who part with their cash easily is of no short supply, DI will make a ton of money, probably already made more than PoE did in a year or two.

I also expect absolutely nothing from D4. Gameplay looked... average, maybe it would be impressive 4-5 years ago, these days it just gets a "meh" reaction from me. Blizzard's track record also shows absolutely no positive examples of being able to run a life service with frequent content releases like PoE, WoW content frequency is awful, OW franchise also had terrible content frequency, Diablo 3 had one expac and one character added over the course of 10 years... PoE, unless something happens to GGG, will be running laps around D4, even if it turns out to be anything other than mediocre at launch. People will give D4 a shot, play story, screw around with limited endgame a bit, and go back to PoE at next league or Lost Ark.

And I will be shocked if D4 doesnt have P2W of some sorts. Either buying gold, directly or indirectly (for example through skins like in BDO), or some boosters, or important utility functions, or dungeoun boosters like in Diablo Immortal. Anything is on the table since Blizzard's reputation is in the dirt (deservingly), and both their major life-services with PvE (WoW and Diablo Immortal) are P2W, with WoW having expansion prices and sub fee on top.
"
DiabloImmoral wrote:
It's a very good demo of a game but it doesn't have any features that would make you want to play it beyond Hell 2. I'll probably be shelving it myself once I hit 30 and get a 4-piece set. I'll try it again once they allow class switches (with no shared progression it had better be free....)

With the paragon catchup mechanic and lukewarm daily rewards the game practically begs you *NOT* to play it.

and i thought your name is a meme

shame on you for playing this piece of shit more than completing main story
Last edited by elesham4ever on Jun 16, 2023, 1:26:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info