Brand New Computer - Hard Crash/Lockup

Hi. I just build a brand new Win 11 machine. Well equipped. I'm struggling with some pretty major crashes while playing POE. I usually get quite a few crashes to desktop, but every so often (maybe every 2-3 hours) my machine will lockup entirely and I need to force shut it down. Tried Vulcan, DX11, DX12, updating Nvidia drivers, removing MTX, and reducing game setting. Same issue. See below for dxdiag output after restarting.

https://pastebin.com/YVZDi8Rj

Can you please take a look and see if there's anything I can do? Thanks.
Last bumped on May 19, 2022, 2:23:00 AM
I'm experiencing the same issue. 3060ti, same driver version as you according to my own dxdiag. I get a full GPU driver crash - my monitors disconnect but sound continues, and it'll take 1-2 minutes to recover. When it does recover PoE will have closed (probably crashes as a result of the failure). Very happy to know it's not a failing graphics card, but it's made the game unplayable for me unfortunately. Getting a crash every 10-30 minutes.

Here's my dxdiag:

https://pastebin.com/Zdm6gwDy

Here's the info from Windows event viewer:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 16/05/2022 02:02:34
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: RYAN-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: PathOfExile.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x627f2e0d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1706, time stamp: 0x458acb5b
Exception code: 0xe0000001
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034fd9
Faulting process ID: 0x3be0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d868bfcd50af53
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 4e1918b7-c0b8-4368-a58d-e3fae2a1561b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
Error 16/05/2022 02:02:34 Application Error 1000 (100)
Interesting. For me, sound cuts out and frozen image lingers on screen. No keyboard and mouse. Can't bring up task manager or anything. I'm going to downgrade my Nvidia driver to the non-game ready one. I'm also going to log temperatures to see if my GPU is overheating (unlikely as I reduced my video settings such that I only get ~5% GPU load sitting idle in HO).
"
reactr wrote:
Interesting. For me, sound cuts out and frozen image lingers on screen. No keyboard and mouse. Can't bring up task manager or anything. I'm going to downgrade my Nvidia driver to the non-game ready one. I'm also going to log temperatures to see if my GPU is overheating (unlikely as I reduced my video settings such that I only get ~5% GPU load sitting idle in HO).

Mine shuts off my computer screen... says "no signal", and my keyboard and mouse stop responding to any input whatsoever.

Only a hard reset "Fixes" it.

Feelsbadman
"
RyanHx wrote:
I'm experiencing the same issue. 3060ti, same driver version as you according to my own dxdiag. I get a full GPU driver crash - my monitors disconnect but sound continues, and it'll take 1-2 minutes to recover. When it does recover PoE will have closed (probably crashes as a result of the failure). Very happy to know it's not a failing graphics card, but it's made the game unplayable for me unfortunately. Getting a crash every 10-30 minutes.

Here's my dxdiag:

https://pastebin.com/Zdm6gwDy

Here's the info from Windows event viewer:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 16/05/2022 02:02:34
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: RYAN-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: PathOfExile.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x627f2e0d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1706, time stamp: 0x458acb5b
Exception code: 0xe0000001
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034fd9
Faulting process ID: 0x3be0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d868bfcd50af53
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 4e1918b7-c0b8-4368-a58d-e3fae2a1561b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
Error 16/05/2022 02:02:34 Application Error 1000 (100)

Sounds like exactly what I've got going on
"
reactr wrote:

Yeah the frozen image lingers for a few seconds before disappearing completely. I imagine the system is still receiving your KB&M inputs, but the GPU stops sending that information to the screen once it crashes, so it looks like a hard freeze of your whole system. The sounds on streams/videos will occasionally cut as well but that'll probably be because the video in the browser crashes. I wonder if disabling hardware acceleration in the browser would fix that...

I'm considering downgrading my driver as well. Temperatures are fine for me also.
I don't want to speak too soon, but after downgrading my GPU driver to version 511.79, I haven't crashed at all...

I used DDU to downgrade, full guide here: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial

Edit: multiple hours of play, still no crash. Definitely the most recent driver was causing the issue for me.
Last edited by RyanHx on May 16, 2022, 3:22:04 PM
"
RyanHx wrote:

Edit: multiple hours of play, still no crash. Definitely the most recent driver was causing the issue for me.

Going from windowed fullscreen to non-windowed mode worked for several hours. Then again I chain crashed, again and again and again, every few minutes.

This game will destroy my computer. NOTHING else has ever made my PC do this.
Last edited by Rakie1337 on May 16, 2022, 4:50:42 PM
"
Rakie1337 wrote:
"
RyanHx wrote:

Going from windowed fullscreen to non-windowed mode worked for several hours. Then again I chain crashed, again and again and again, every few minutes.

This game will destroy my computer. NOTHING else has ever made my PC do this.

Yep I've never had an application mess with my drivers in this way - the manner in which it crashes is brutal. Hopefully it hasn't left any corrupted files anywhere. There's definitely something weird going on with the game's rendering engine.

I made a reddit post as well, there's others also experiencing the issue - https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/ur3t7t/psa_for_those_on_the_latest_nvidia_driver/?ref=share&ref_source=link

So far driver 511.79 has been stable for me, so I think reverting to that via DDU is your best shot.
"
RyanHx wrote:

Yep I've never had an application mess with my drivers in this way - the manner in which it crashes is brutal. Hopefully it hasn't left any corrupted files anywhere. There's definitely something weird going on with the game's rendering engine.

I made a reddit post as well, there's others also experiencing the issue - https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/ur3t7t/psa_for_those_on_the_latest_nvidia_driver/?ref=share&ref_source=link

So far driver 511.79 has been stable for me, so I think reverting to that via DDU is your best shot.

I've also been told this is most likely a standalone client issue... I'll be downloading the Steam version to see if that helps

EDIT: you were downvoted on reddit of course lol.
Last edited by Rakie1337 on May 16, 2022, 9:04:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info