Having trouble with the ball phase of searing exarch

are there any methods or tactics that are easily accessible that can decrease the difficulty of specifically this phase of the fight? i have no trouble dealing with any other mechanics.

Edit* Frost wall/spell cascade is the best way to deal with this phase of the fight. even if you have to give up some dps. thought i recommend having phasing so it doesn't get in your way.

i used frost wall, spell cascade, increased duration, faster casting, and culling support in a 5 link body armor and succeeded deathless. having less stress about the ball phase gave me enough confidence to do more damage so i ended up only dealing with one ball phase on a 2m dps toxic rain character.
Last edited by Squishysquish on Mar 7, 2022, 6:54:18 PM
Last bumped on Apr 14, 2024, 6:27:04 PM
Grab a totem plus multiple totems support. Each totem hit removes a ball, so you can clear out ones heading toward you.

Not sure if minions would do the same, if so you could summon skeleton and totems.

Also lightning warp + reduced duration can be good if you get boxed in, but its still kinda slow compared to the balls.
Use a movement skill to pass through balls (eg flamedash).
1. Roll it with added X damage or Inc Attack Speed. Ideally even both. These buffs will affect The Maven. She will destroy a whole lot of balls and make it much easier for you to pass through them.

2. Do not overdps the Exarch. Fight him slowly. Stop at 60% and let him do all his attacks, dodge them. For some weird reason, the faster you damage him to 50% the more ball waves he will spawn, and with smaller intervals between them.

My guess is that he 'queues' attack animations, like many PoE bosses do (Izaro is perhaps the most famous example). For each N% damage you do to him he queues up 1 attack. But he cannot exert them faster than his animations can be played. And at 50% there is the forced ball phase when he spawns the minimum of 4 ball waves (1 from each direction) PLUS an additional wave for each queued attack that he didn't get to perform.

3. You will get only 4 waves of balls, The Maven will punch a lot of holes in them. And then all you have to do is use the movement skill of your choice to get through them (they can be dashed through).
Spell cascade frostwall works too I picked this one up off Ziz
"
Kelvynn wrote:
1. Roll it with added X damage or Inc Attack Speed. Ideally even both. These buffs will affect The Maven. She will destroy a whole lot of balls and make it much easier for you to pass through them.

2. Do not overdps the Exarch. Fight him slowly. Stop at 60% and let him do all his attacks, dodge them. For some weird reason, the faster you damage him to 50% the more ball waves he will spawn, and with smaller intervals between them.

My guess is that he 'queues' attack animations, like many PoE bosses do (Izaro is perhaps the most famous example). For each N% damage you do to him he queues up 1 attack. But he cannot exert them faster than his animations can be played. And at 50% there is the forced ball phase when he spawns the minimum of 4 ball waves (1 from each direction) PLUS an additional wave for each queued attack that he didn't get to perform.

3. You will get only 4 waves of balls, The Maven will punch a lot of holes in them. And then all you have to do is use the movement skill of your choice to get through them (they can be dashed through).

his ball phase is 4 waves then 8 then 16 always
be tanky and tank them
Suiciding yourself with Forbidden Rite also works, if you are looking for the Challenge.

Didn't know about the Frost Wall trick. I'll keep it in mind next time. Far more decent than killing yourself in order to avoid the boulders

I didnt test it myself, but apparently the balls get popped by Frost Wall.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
If you have enough DPS you can kill him before he does any abilities, I did it with around 45mil DPS.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info