Lost Ark? Weeaboo fanservice title?

I don't see what the fuss is about this game, it's mediocre as hell, but I guess it has a couple of things going for it:

Free to play
Weeb fanservice & waifus.

Not impressed. Maybe it's reeling people into the ARPG genre who've never played it before, targeting a different demographic by using a different art style, but the classes and gameplay are as generic and unoriginal as it gets.

I suppose the glass is half full outlook would be that it's getting a new demographic into the ARPG genre, and after these people get bored with the very mediocre Lost Ark, they might be shocked when they play some other games in the genre that are far better.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 14, 2022, 2:01:36 PM
Last bumped on Mar 13, 2022, 4:37:23 AM
I downloaded it on Steam, I even managed to play for a while. You just have to line up, go make breakfast, go jogging, work, and after three hours you can log in
Lost Ark is an MMO, not an ARPG. So it has to appeal to what MMO players like, not ARPG players like the people playing this game. Mind you there are people who enjoy both genres, but what they enjoy would still differ. When playing Lost Ark, they'll still judge it as an MMO (or should) and enjoy those aspects of it. The only thing it has in common with PoE is the camera angle.
Last edited by Exile009 on Feb 14, 2022, 4:38:57 PM
They don't advertise it as an MMO though, they pretty blatantly advertise it as a sweaty ARPG with lots of depth to character building.
"
Exile009 wrote:
Lost Ark is an MMO, not an ARPG. So it has to appeal to what MMO players like, not ARPG players like the people playing this game. Mind you there are people who enjoy both genres, but what they enjoy would still differ. When playing Lost Ark, they'll still judge it as an MMO (or should) and enjoy those aspects of it. The only thing it has in common with PoE is the camera angle.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1599340/Lost_Ark/

Right on the store page, people can see the tags "Action RPG" "Action"

And then there's this on the game description:

"

Your Odyssey Awaits
Splash into massively satisfying ARPG-style combat and progression as you quest, raid, and fight on the scope of an MMO. Whether you want to play solo, in groups with friends, or matched up with other adventurers in the world, there’s an epic adventure waiting for you. Fight in the open world or delve into chaos dungeons, go head-to-head in expert PvP duels, test your mettle on epic quests, raid against bosses big and small, and hold your own in the fight against the Demon Legion to reclaim the power and light of the Lost Ark.

It's an ARPG, it's just not a very good one.

Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 14, 2022, 5:30:54 PM
Lost Ark is much more of an MMO than an ARPG, despite borrowing traits from both.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Scratch that, it's not an ARPG or even a game, it's a que simulator, LMAO.
"
Sarno wrote:
Lost Ark is much more of an MMO than an ARPG, despite borrowing traits from both.

Wait, didn't you used to have a fancy forum border and stuff? What happened to all that? :o
Not all who are valued need to look fancy to know it.

As for this thread: ha. Hahahaha. Like you haven't already decided and are just yodeling at the other goats on the mountainside.

It's a puerile, by the numbers f2p Korean MMO cosplaying as an ARPG by greedy f2p Korean devs. Wtf else do you need to know? The same industry somehow took a brilliant concept like Invictus and made it BORING. They also scooped up the sorry guts of Hellgate London and turned it into a f2p shitshow.

Yawn.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
Not all who are valued need to look fancy to know it.

As for this thread: ha. Hahahaha. Like you haven't already decided and are just yodeling at the other goats on the mountainside.

Korean flawless beauty standards is different from Japanese waifus and fanservice culture. When people don't know the difference, it may as well be the same.

"

It's a puerile, by the numbers f2p Korean MMO cosplaying as an ARPG by greedy f2p Korean devs.

Lost Ark and POE are both ARPG.

It originally used to describe games with real-time combat as opposed to turn-based combat RPG games. Many games qualify for that term. Appropriation of that term by diablolike fan annoy me. They rarely use the term diablolike and using the term "APRG" while insisting other games that qualify are not. Lost Ark is certainly not a diablolike.

Isometric view isn't unique to diablolike game. Ultima Online and Runescape are isometric, and nobody find that weird or wrong. 3rd person perspective are modern design characteristics of MMO, isometric view is pretty old school.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info