Wrecker's 3.14 RF Chieftain build (not a guide, sorry!)

Alright everyone! I'm off to work on 3.15's stuff (So I won't be responding to this thread anymore). Thanks for all your time, effort, feedback, and kindness! It was very helpful. Thank you.

3.15 is bringing so many changes that a lot of theory crafters will have to start from scratch. But as soon as I have one of these builds the way I want it, I'll post it for sure. I wish you the best in 3.15!

Hi Everyone!

(If you don't mind, spend a minute and read the 3 small drop-down sections. It'll save you some time and make sure we're on the same page.)

A Bit About the Build
So I have an Elementalist RF build that I really like. It's not tanky but more movement-based. That suits some playstyles, while others...not so much. PoE seems to be getting a lot busier league by league. So I figured I'd throw a tanky version of my RF style out there for those that like to play my guide's/style but wanted to try a more tanky RF character. This is my 3.11 RF guide redone for 3.14.

There are some major differences between the Elementalist RF build I have and this one. Levelling, skill synergies, AoE, tankiness...If you've played either the old version of this build or the Elementalist version I'd love to hear your comparisons!

This is my Righteous Fire Chieftain from 3.11 that's been tweaked for 3.14. From what I remember (and see "on paper") it has a much smaller AoE than my current RF Elementalist but way more mitigation. You'll need to care about your ailments and elemental damage a bit more...but the life regen of the Chief should make up for the loss. The idea is that this should be a tank once setup, compared to the "movement first" Elementalist. The gems have a lot of Synergy and will benefit greatly from Enduring Cry, Endurance Charges, and Immortal Call. Cyclone can be replaced with whatever you like as well, just watch out for mechanics like EE and EO. Let me know what you think if you give it a shot. It's either this or the Elementalist for my RF guide. Which would you choose?

Now, keep in mind that I haven't played this build in a long time. This is just me, making a build "on paper" and thinking, "ya, that's awesome. Let's do it!". But, I'd love some feedback if you're up for it.
Unfortunately, this isn't a guide, it's just a build post
Now, this isn't a guide. It's just me posting a build. So I won't be following this thread to answer questions and such as I only have the personal time for 3 guides...and I already have those guides posted for 3.14. But I will be reading all of the comments and suggestions.
Buuuuut...I want feedback!
Over the last while, PoE seems to be getting busier and busier. There are so many more enemies and so much more content on the screen at once that it's getting harder to know what your dangers are. For my playstyle, this game is turning more and more into a game of chance. Now, in my three current guides, I don't have a tank. I love the guides I have but for the slow-paced style that I like and the current state of the game, I think a tank build needs to enter the portfolio.

So, though I said I won't be answering questions or responding to this post as I would a guide, I would LOVE some feedback on the posted builds. I'm happy to hear about all aspects of the process and build. (Only honesty helps though ;).)

I have also posted two other builds with the same goal in mind (you can find them here):

- Max Block Glad(iator) (Trigger Happy)
- Minion Champ(ion) (New)

If you're providing feedback, please keep in mind that my playstyle is low-key. I like:
- very few button presses, 1-button if possible
- as much gear as possible to work for the build (so no required uniques or fancy mods)
- slow gameplaying instead of zoom-zoom.

I don't expect you to play that way at all. Change the build how you like and make sure to play it your way! I want to know how YOU play it and like it. Just keep in mind that I design my builds for my style of play.

Right, one more thing...just keep in mind that some mechanics of the build will become more relevant the further you get into the game.

BUILD

Passive Tree:
Long Picture...
- Path of Building (community version) Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/srZ7QFpb
- Passive Tree

Skills Gems (fully level all gems unless it's stated not to):

5/6-Link:
Righteous Fire
- Burning Damage Support
- Concentrated Effect Support
- Elemental Focus Support
- Efficacy Support
- Inspiration Support/Increased Area of Effect Support

4-Link:
Cast when Damage Taken Support
- Summon Stone Golem
- Immortal Call
- Summon Holy Relic

4-Link:
Cast when Damage Taken (level 14)
- Purifying Flame (level 18)
- Wave of Conviction (level 17)
- Combustion Support

4-Link:
Cast when Damage Taken (level 1)
- Ball lightning (level 4)
- Hextouch Support
- Flammability

3 Socket:
Purity of Fire
Malevolence
Enduring Cry

3-Link:
Cyclone
- Fortify
- Inspiration/Infused Channelling Support/Life Gain on Hit Support

Keep in mind that the CwDT gems become more effective the further you get into the game (enemies dealing more damage (more frequently)).

Gear:

Weapon: Any sceptre or staff. For staves, the 2 three links are easy enough to combine.
Shield: You can either go shield, staff, or dual-wield wands.

The rest of the gear is anything you like. You'll likely be looking for gear that matches the colour of the gems we're looking for. We have some investment into armour so having decent armour rolls won't be wasted here. You'll likely be looking at Armour/Energy Shield bases considering the amount of red and blue gems that are combined throughout the guide.

We're a life-based character (obviously). So look for life and resists before anything fancy. Then go with anything life regen, Endurance Charges, armour, there are tons of mods that help once the basics are in place.

This build will take a bit to get going as I remember it levelling pretty slow. BUT I think they've added Fire Ball (maybe more) to be purchased while levelling. Look around!

K. I think that's it for the builds (totally not guides). Let me know what you think!
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
Last edited by Wrecker_of_Days on Jul 20, 2021, 1:50:41 PM
Last bumped on Jul 20, 2021, 1:50:55 PM
I have to say I love your builds! Having little time to play the game seriously and learn all its mechanics, not to mention playing piano with various flasks and such, I find them perfect for my play style. Your new builds look interesting and in fact recently I tried to play something similar using Purifying Flame along with Heralds of Purity and phantasms to create a "Paladin" build (my lv 75 guardian). Needless to say it was decent enough when playing through the Acts but once I got into even the earliest maps the enemies would plow through my minions and me with ease.

Since two of your new builds seem to include such abilities have you considered, or would you consider, creating such a build with that theme of 'holy' attacks and minions since the Templar would seem the obvious build for such a theme? I've searched around on Reddit and the forums but haven't found anything recent. (Sovyn's lazy pally build the only well known one from 3.10).

Regardless I look forward to trying these new builds myself to see how they fare. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make them!
Wrecker in your opinion can RF get through all the game including the bosses?

I see you picked Chieftain are you also in support if someone went Jugg?
Hey, thanks for revisiting this one. I love your witch builds but sometimes I just want a little change of pace. Hopefully the extra survivability will help me out when I hit the Atlas, I always hit a bit of a wall with the witch in early Atlas.

P.S. This really is a bear to level up but I can tell it will be worth it.
Wrecker, I wrote in the old Chieftain thread before I discovered this new one :)
I'm a slow paced player and not so experienced in the new content, don't know too much about crafting. Harvest, Heist and those new fancy additions are a bit mysterious for me, so I just focus on dungeon (and Delve) crawling. That's why I like your guides, feel like they are just for me, but I missed the tanky one. "Trigger Happy" was my favourite on the console. On PC I made Elementalist RF and died so many times since entering endgame, that I got tired and switched to Zombie build. But I gave one more chance to RF and created your old Chieftain with slight modifications and chose HC league. Never played too much in HC, dying so often and so early... This attempt turned out to be very surprising. This is my first char which survived to the endgame, currently at 81 level. Leveled until 70 (around act 8 :) ) with Scorching Ray skill. What a tankiness. It was possible to beat most act bosses just standing still and channeling SR. With RF turned off I can go in the Lab trials on the maps like on the usual walk.
Then I noticed this new version of Chieftain, it required to change just 3 minor passives to be the same tree. It forced me to use Enduring Cry more often (I don't like to remember to use it), because of lower regen at the time. But it is still better for me to play with than elementalist version. Today dropped 6L armor-based armor on tier3 map, managed to color it to bbbrrg (ran out of color orbs), made rare with some orbs with 91 life and some resist. It allowed me to introduce inspiration supports. Now it is even more tanky than before. I feel that after inevitable death it will be my favourite char to visit some places in Delve.
The problems start arising on tier 5 maps. I receive hard beating, damage spikes are somewhat sudden and high. Probably I need more work on gear. Just waiting for drops.
My idea is to try to introduce skitterbots somewhere. Perhaps. I think this skill helped me a bit in the elementalist version.
Well, I've never seen even Shaper, so I can't give you feedback about even the hardest bosses fights. But from casual player perspective this is a very nice, playable, tanky build. And RF is very nice, you don't need to aim, or resummon fallen minions. Speaking about these, sometimes my relic and golem die, even on tier 3 maps. CWDT resummons them anyway, but sometimes I'm without this protection. I will continue with it in SC. Will try your Glad and Champion too.
Decided to write about it in this and the other one thread, because I like your builds and value your dedication to your work. I still hope that you have time for some other things in life haha :) Made my chars public, so it's possible to assess the performance for the casuals.
Big thanks!!! :D :D :D
Last edited by sensonio on May 12, 2021, 2:39:20 PM
Spoiler
"
garion1500 wrote:
I have to say I love your builds! Having little time to play the game seriously and learn all its mechanics, not to mention playing piano with various flasks and such, I find them perfect for my play style. Your new builds look interesting and in fact recently I tried to play something similar using Purifying Flame along with Heralds of Purity and phantasms to create a "Paladin" build (my lv 75 guardian). Needless to say it was decent enough when playing through the Acts but once I got into even the earliest maps the enemies would plow through my minions and me with ease.

Since two of your new builds seem to include such abilities have you considered, or would you consider, creating such a build with that theme of 'holy' attacks and minions since the Templar would seem the obvious build for such a theme? I've searched around on Reddit and the forums but haven't found anything recent. (Sovyn's lazy pally build the only well known one from 3.10).

Regardless I look forward to trying these new builds myself to see how they fare. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make them!
"
tntpop wrote:
Wrecker in your opinion can RF get through all the game including the bosses?

I see you picked Chieftain are you also in support if someone went Jugg?
"
KitteninaBox wrote:
Hey, thanks for revisiting this one. I love your witch builds but sometimes I just want a little change of pace. Hopefully the extra survivability will help me out when I hit the Atlas, I always hit a bit of a wall with the witch in early Atlas.

P.S. This really is a bear to level up but I can tell it will be worth it.
"
sensonio wrote:
Wrecker, I wrote in the old Chieftain thread before I discovered this new one :)
I'm a slow paced player and not so experienced in the new content, don't know too much about crafting. Harvest, Heist and those new fancy additions are a bit mysterious for me, so I just focus on dungeon (and Delve) crawling. That's why I like your guides, feel like they are just for me, but I missed the tanky one. "Trigger Happy" was my favourite on the console. On PC I made Elementalist RF and died so many times since entering endgame, that I got tired and switched to Zombie build. But I gave one more chance to RF and created your old Chieftain with slight modifications and chose HC league. Never played too much in HC, dying so often and so early... This attempt turned out to be very surprising. This is my first char which survived to the endgame, currently at 81 level. Leveled until 70 (around act 8 :) ) with Scorching Ray skill. What a tankiness. It was possible to beat most act bosses just standing still and channeling SR. With RF turned off I can go in the Lab trials on the maps like on the usual walk.
Then I noticed this new version of Chieftain, it required to change just 3 minor passives to be the same tree. It forced me to use Enduring Cry more often (I don't like to remember to use it), because of lower regen at the time. But it is still better for me to play with than elementalist version. Today dropped 6L armor-based armor on tier3 map, managed to color it to bbbrrg (ran out of color orbs), made rare with some orbs with 91 life and some resist. It allowed me to introduce inspiration supports. Now it is even more tanky than before. I feel that after inevitable death it will be my favourite char to visit some places in Delve.
The problems start arising on tier 5 maps. I receive hard beating, damage spikes are somewhat sudden and high. Probably I need more work on gear. Just waiting for drops.
My idea is to try to introduce skitterbots somewhere. Perhaps. I think this skill helped me a bit in the elementalist version.
Well, I've never seen even Shaper, so I can't give you feedback about even the hardest bosses fights. But from casual player perspective this is a very nice, playable, tanky build. And RF is very nice, you don't need to aim, or resummon fallen minions. Speaking about these, sometimes my relic and golem die, even on tier 3 maps. CWDT resummons them anyway, but sometimes I'm without this protection. I will continue with it in SC. Will try your Glad and Champion too.
Decided to write about it in this and the other one thread, because I like your builds and value your dedication to your work. I still hope that you have time for some other things in life haha :) Made my chars public, so it's possible to assess the performance for the casuals.
Big thanks!!! :D :D :D
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I really appreciate it. It helps a lot and it gives me a different perspective from playstyles and preferences that aren't my own. As mentioned in the post, I won't be answering replies on these threads as I only have time for the actual guides I currently have posted but I'll address a couple things quickly:

- This build is a beast. Or it was 4ish leagues ago. It's 5L damage was ok at best but it was unkillable. But I cleared the Atlas with it no problem.

- I am constantly considering so many other options for builds though I only have the time to do replies for a few guies. The keys to my guides are, can it kill and live, can I do it with on button, do I need fancy items/mods for it to work. But there are tons of options that fit that bill. So I'm always up for suggestions and considerations.

- Levelling with this build was a pain in the butt which was one of the reasons I considered the Elementalist. But the defence was insane with the Chief. GGG added Fireball to the levelling mix so I'm going to see if that helps to level at all at some point.

Thank you all for all your time and effort. It doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. You're all awesome.
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
"
- Levelling with this build was a pain in the butt which was one of the reasons I considered the Elementalist. But the defence was insane with the Chief. GGG added Fireball to the levelling mix so I'm going to see if that helps to level at all at some point.

Don't know if this works with Wrecker's play-style, but I didn't think leveling before sustaining Righteous Fire was too bad.

For starting out the 3.11 build in SSF, I made a Templar, and took him only as far as the medicine chest. That got me Purifying Flame and Arcane Surge Gems. (All the flasks were a bonus.) The Marauder gets Onslaught from the medicine chest quest, which can also support Purifying Flame.

The Marauder can also buy Holy Flame Totem, which fits in well with the build.

The other thing to do early on is *shop*. It's common to look for movement speed boots in case you don't get the currency for the quicksilver recipe. But for this build, at early levels wands, sceptres and spirit shields with +1 to all Fire skill gems or +1 to all Physical skill gems are not uncommon.

Purifying Flame and Holy Fire Totem are Fire/Physical skills so can benefit from both +1 Fire and +1 Physical. In fact Nessa sold me one of each in Harvest SSF, and it was huge.

Leveling with Purifying Flame and Holy Flame Totem went smoothly on 3/4 links. I did allocate a +30 Intelligence node which I later respecced. My damage fizzled out right when Righteous Fire became sustainable.

The only real snag was meeting Alva - I would have been happier if I'd just skipped all Incursion encounters before maps. And speaking of Incursion, the Incursion timer is kind of a test of movement speed and kill speed. One way that I have found to boost the timer is to do incursions in maps with the "of Bloodlines" affix. The magic monsters are not that much harder to kill, but boost the timer significantly.
Running heists fully zoomed in... because
Firstly - as a casual player with limited reaction speed, and limited tolerance/ preference for stress, due to age & health, thank you for your awesome builds and guides!!!

Have played slow-mo zombies, and really enjoying your RF Chieftan as well so far (comfortably running early maps).

Few observations:

1. Oni-Goroshi + cyclone worked really well for levelling for me, till I could sustain RF. Given the build's focus on life-regen, it's easy to be an unkillable monster even with Oni's debuff. After I got to stable RF sustain, I transitioned to the gem-links mentioned in this build.

2. Flammability seems to work even without hextouch on CwDT. Not sure if this working without hextouch this is due to a mechanic change, or if you have some other reason for using CwDT + ball-lightning + hextouch. The only difference, between direct cast with CwDT vs hextouch I could notice was applying the curse at range. However unlike your other builds, the curse here isn't defensive, and the build's offense is at close range only, so it's ok to apply the curse only in your immediate vicinity. Shock/Frost nova seemed like a good alternative to ball lightning for the same reason.

At the moment, I'm using CwDT + shock nova + flammability as a 3 link, with the unlinked slot for a flame-dash (a teleport helps with a lot of maps, labs etc.)

Off-topic request shout-out - would love to see something equivalent for a CI occultist build as well (a CI update to your old vortex). :)
i played ths build for delirium and can't wait to see an update
though i must also say that levelling with no accuracy was the most miserable experience I got in poe
"
Firstly - as a casual player with limited reaction speed, and limited tolerance/ preference for stress, due to age & health, thank you for your awesome builds and guides!!!

Have played slow-mo zombies, and really enjoying your RF Chieftan as well so far (comfortably running early maps).

Few observations:

1. Oni-Goroshi + cyclone worked really well for levelling for me, till I could sustain RF. Given the build's focus on life-regen, it's easy to be an unkillable monster even with Oni's debuff. After I got to stable RF sustain, I transitioned to the gem-links mentioned in this build.

2. Flammability seems to work even without hextouch on CwDT. Not sure if this working without hextouch this is due to a mechanic change, or if you have some other reason for using CwDT + ball-lightning + hextouch. The only difference, between direct cast with CwDT vs hextouch I could notice was applying the curse at range. However unlike your other builds, the curse here isn't defensive, and the build's offense is at close range only, so it's ok to apply the curse only in your immediate vicinity. Shock/Frost nova seemed like a good alternative to ball lightning for the same reason.

At the moment, I'm using CwDT + shock nova + flammability as a 3 link, with the unlinked slot for a flame-dash (a teleport helps with a lot of maps, labs etc.)

Off-topic request shout-out - would love to see something equivalent for a CI occultist build as well (a CI update to your old vortex). :)

With Hextouch, Flammability activates per attack on your ball lightning. Without Hextouch, Flammability fires like a curse. You could swap Hextouch out for something else if you're not concerned about its application as much. That said, Wrecker's going for the most relaxed style of playing the game, and the curse spread is very efficient this way.

You could replace it with a move skill-- after leveling it beyond the CWDT gem, lol. Otherwise, you're in deep space without a nav computer.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info