Spell Totem

"
Vipermagi wrote:
The Totem won't be casting both, as I already hinted at. You have EC linked to Spell Totem, and IC linked to Spell Totem; you don't have a Spell Totem linked to IC and EC. Each Skill summons its own Totem, which has the one Skill at its disposal. Skills linked to Spell Totem can be triggered via CoC.

I'm terribly sorry, I forgot to mention that I plan to link an attack to Coc:

Whirling + CoC + Spell totem + IC + EC (it's a 4L helm with CoC corrupted on it).

So, based on what you say, it will trigger one totem that will either spam IC or EC (depending on which gets cast first/last).

Now let's say I make this Whirling Blades + Coc + S.Totem + IC only. How will that IC behave? Will it be casted upon the totem or me? (that's the part I'm confusingly trying to ask from the beginning).
As I mentioned, IC still behaves like it normally would. The Totem casts IC, the totem becomes Phys Immune; after all, IC normally applies to the caster.
My reasons for why the % Less Damage penalty incurred by Spell Totem should be lowered 20-30% can be found here in my thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1201660

In that thread I give very specific mathematical examples on why this particular Support Gem performs poorly.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Feb 16, 2015, 6:53:08 PM
How do I start here...

Well, straight to the point.

Spell Totems are extremly fragile, too fragile as well to properly run them in high lvl maps.
Example: Leapers, most ranged mobs will 1 hit ur Spell Totems like 80% of the time making it nearly impossible to keep em up.

My suggestion would be to remove the Inc.Duration per 1% quality and override it with 3% Totem Life per 1% like most other totems.

Also either adjust the damage/speed penalty spells gain when linked to Spell Totem or IMO enable Spell Echo for spells linked to it.

I know Spell Totems got slightly adjusted in the beta allready but since I do not have a key I cant test it myself + the things mentioned above might be something to put into beta for testing huhh? :)

Greetings, Zahkriisos! :)

Trying to satisfy the whole PoE community is like telling a nymphomaniac to only have sex once in a week.

I think that's fairly accurate. :')
Last edited by Zahkriisos1337 on Jun 1, 2015, 7:59:00 AM
Even after the 2.0 patch the concept of spell totem is still really lacking for me.

Isn't the basic idea something like this(considering using ancestral bond): use a spell gem you like with spell totem, accepting the heavy drawbacks of spell totem like % less damage and % less cast speed and counter that with investing heavily into totem nodes and in theory you should have totems that A. are doing a decent job at killing stuff and B. should be slightly lower or about the same in damage compared to a normal caster build.

Sadly that isn't reality: when was the last time you saw an arc, ice spear, ball lightning, ek or spark totem build?
Yeah there are builds for spark and ball lightning totems using sire of shards, but if you need a unique item to make a spell totem useful there is something wrong.

Since I'm an avid totem user there are only a few useable totem variations as of now:

Incinerate - amazing due to Incinerate's damage stages
Freezing Pulse - 6% base crit with 125% damage effectiveness
Summon Raging Spirit - quite decent having 2 totems + self-cast srs
Spark/Ball Lightning - both only with sire of shards
Arctic Breath - saw one on the forum, not tried that one out yet
Flame Surge - not played that one either, but abusing the 50% more damage to burning targets

Strange/sad/misc stuff:
Animate Weapon - labeled as spell but totems don't do anything
Detonate Dead - sadly dead due to not beeing a spell anymore
Ice Nova - I soo want to make an ice nova totem build, but the % less cast speed really hurts
Spell Echo - I understand that beeing able to use spell echo on totems would be too strong, but not having that 2nd free cast cant be compensated by having 2 totems.
I really think that Spell Totem "SHOULD" work with Curse On Hit
Frankly you'd be incorrect. The Skill used by your Totem is not linked to any Curses, so it has no Curses to apply. It would be neat, sure, but it's working as per its description now, for all intents and purposes it should not, and does not, work.
It was probably mentioned allready but you realy need to fix the tooltip DPS of the spell totem. While the ~30% less damage is displayed correctly the cast speed is not. Therefor the tooltip DPS of the spell totem is ~30% above the true value.
...You think that's the only thing wrong with the tooltip DPS? Tooltip DPS is an entirely meaningless statistic, it only serves to measure the difference between, say, two Wands (even then Twyzel shits all over that due to +1 Projectile). There's far too many factors that the DPS stat entirely ignores; using it to measure Damage output or practical effectiveness is plain silliness.

Anyways. I'm guessing it's a limitation of the current engine, similar to how Totem Attack/Cast Speed do not factor in atm. A reworking of various UI aspects, such as the Character Sheet and Skill tooltips, is on the long-term planning. It's a very large project though, so there's no timeline set for it, it's a 'if we don't have other more pressing matters'-thing.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 25, 2015, 9:10:11 AM
Though I don't think it's viable in any way, a flame dash totem is among the visually funniest skills in Wraeclast: shake,shake,shake - Zooom!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info