Texture Streaming in Echoes of the Atlas

Why not make this adjustable based on system spec?

Why do I need to stream in assets instead of loading everything or almost everything on map load?

I'd rather have a longer loading screen getting into a new area and higher memory or vram usage than have Azurite mines look like a desert wasteland because I have the audacity to make a build with too much zoom zoom

If I have oodles of memory can I not just pre-load everything that might spawn in the map so nothing has to load from my ssd?
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." - William James
"People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln
Seriously, at this point you should just let us disable shadows, bloom and any other effects that affects performance and/or makes the game more crash prone until you guys sort this mess out. At least that way we can finally get some decent performance without using Vulkan and crashing all the time. Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that...
Ninja.
Last edited by la_blue_girl on Jan 28, 2021, 8:34:53 AM
Here is my experience, in case it helps someone else:

In 3.13 I had a lot of performance problems. When I enter a town it could take up to 10 seconds for textures to load, I had blurry inventory items etc.
And also, there was a lot of content that caused bad stutters. Starting a ritual, opening a strongbox, etc? 1-2 second freeze. And doing delirium was pretty awful, a freeze every 10 seconds or so.

Specs:
Intel i7-3770 (3.40 GHz ~ 3.90 GHz, 4 core)
32 GiB DDR3
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce 8G
Samsung 860 PRO 1TB (sata)

Last week I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, RAM and case. However I still use the same GPU and disk:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (3,4GHz ~ 4.9Ghz, 16 core)
32 GiB DDR4-3600
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce 8G
Samsung 860 PRO 1TB (sata)

So pretty much only the cpu and ram are much much faster. And now all of the issues are gone. If i enter town or any other area, I see the blurriness for about 0.1 second (if I notice it at all). And I never ever get any sort of stutter or freeze.

So I am guessing one of these things is what is making the huuuuuge difference for me:
* Higher CPU clock
* More CPU cores
* More PCIe bandwidth to the GPU
* New CPU instructions
"
Orcasauce wrote:
If the textures are loaded and then I open my atlas, why does the whole world re-render ...

this.
everything. loading. constantly.

cant things just STAY loaded for a moment once they are done loading?
also preload everything i have on my skill bar pls.
and everything i have on my gear.
just just leave it loaded pls.

Spoiler
playing inpulsa arc.
1: why does it load everything just in the moment it is also used, when it should be already clear what needs to be loaded?
use right mouse button, now, heralds and arc, and mtx, and inpulsaplosion, and mob animation and casting animation and a lotta more stuff gets loaded and i stutter.

cant this be preloaded?

2: once i enter zana, harvest, or just anything, everything unloads, resulting in loading time again once i use my skill first time.
its really hard to play like this, and its not very enjoyable.

cant this just stay loaded?
Unknown rule type: SetFondSize
Seems like the dev team failed to make the game more smooth with your new system. Let's disable it, so we can actually play the new league without it feeling like an absolute shitshow, yes?
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
Things are a little blurry when I first load into an area for a few seconds, but then it's fine after that. It hasn't been a problem for me, especially with the grace period. I think it's fine?
Im getting massive frame drops since the echoes of the atlas update alot worse than before actually. Performance was perfectly fine in Delirium league :(.
It makes your game look like shit for a minute or so when you first log in. That's really not the impression you want to give a new player. Even old-timers are wondering why this is so much better. Glad you're going to give an explanation and keep us updated.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jan 28, 2021, 9:03:02 AM
I don't know if it's a problem with the streaming tech or something else, but it's hard to not notice that loading now takes longer.. that is.. often when I enter an area it often takes 30 seconds before the proper textures are loaded.. and I don't have a slow machine.. even the "old days" back on spinning rust.. aka mechanical drives.. towns and maps would load faster than they do now.. I can move around sure.. but I can't tell what the hell I'm moving around on/in..

so for me.. this feels like a massive downgrade.. ryzen 3900, nvidia 2080S, 64GB ram and a pair of PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives
generally dangerous
I can't progress past 90+ cause of constant crashes which lead to death and no I won't run pure breachstones carries all day to level cause thats boring. I already skip all altars cause I noticed i crashed way more there. League starts have been horrible for atleast a year now and somehow you make it worse each time. Another "sorry not sorry" from GGG. Also, fix the weird terrain/predictive interaction where you get stuck when using movement skills and phaze back all the time already.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info