Should I take advanced writing in college

Where do I start... Picture it. Mid 30’s guy in a room full of young vibrant students, English teacher speaks, "okay class I need you to write, this won’t be graded, but it will give me an idea of where you fall."

We had about two days to complete the assignment and we were invited to attend the colleges English tutoring to test it out and become familiar with the senior students. I thought to myself it would be better to have someone look at my writing vs the teacher... Even though she’s not grading it, I’m was positive she would place us in remedial writing if she so thought.

I don’t consider myself a writer BUT this happened...

As I looked around the tutoring room, I spotted a lady who looked like she was free to critique my work. Looking at her, she looked rather mature to be in college (we were told it was senior college kids), but hey I’m in my mid thirties whom am I to judge.

"Hi, wanted to know if you could read my paper..."

After a few pleasantries I gave her my paper titled, "What I Love About Art."

The paper was two pages long, it was awkward silence while she read... She had this Harry Potter pen; looked like a wand, pretty neat... But damn did she start circling and filling my paper with red remarks. I was now thinking I’m going to be placed in remedial English.

She actually laughed while she read, honestly I don’t remember putting anything too funny; but I digress.

After finishing she said, "Can I ask you question?"

I gulped, "sureeeeee... was it that bad?"

She looked at me perplexed, "quite the opposite, it was great." She took in a deep breathe, "my apologies I am actually the head of the English department. I am going to recommend you be placed in advanced writing and recommend you take Journalism 2."

I was in total shock, I replied... "but I’ve never taken a college course in writing, English yes, but nothing too fancy?"

She asked for my transcripts, "you are a sophomore? You’re telling me you never taken writing or journalism class?"

After I explained I never took a class in writing etc... She stood up, "follow me."

I followed her to counseling office, handed my paper to my teacher who was there and SHE READ IT... My teacher tells the head of English, "amazing... he has never taken a writing class?!"

She looked at me and said, "do you read a lot? I see... Do you write sometimes? I see... Well now that explains it, reading and writing regardless, helps tremendously. You were smart to pay attention to the grammar... BUT you have something many of our writers are lacking, practice. In addition its very hard for people to picture a moment in detail, imagine trying to convey a thought or a picture with out the necessary words. You sir have a gift... You write so well I was interested from start to finish; you brought back many child hood memories and the feeling of an art class in just two pages. Your grammar needs work, but that can be taught, the natural talent you have can’t be taught to others."

Well here I am, semester starts in a few days should I? I’m scared it will be difficult...

"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last bumped on Dec 2, 2020, 12:21:42 AM
I'd love to read it, if you'd be willing to share. Consider it a quid pro quo of sorts, given it's possible to read a fair chunk of my work for free online, should one be interested. :)

Still waiting on that American Comic-style art you were talking up though, so no rush eh?

As for the question: of course you should. After all, 'you have a gift'. It would be a mighty shame to squander it.

Okay, back to Elite: Dangerous. ^_^
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Nov 20, 2020, 8:28:48 PM
Worst case scenario .. you take the course, pass but learn you hate it.

Best case, you take the course, pass it and realise you love it.

After many years at university, I've learnt if a head of department thinks you can do something, there's at least a 95% chance you can. Dont waste the opportunity, and if it gets difficult ask for help :)

Cheers,
Matt.
Go for it, Solly.
What's the worst that can happen?
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
My answer to your question is "no," @OP. Based off of your forum writing, you would struggle.

But who knows, maybe you're some magnificent writer whose forums posts don't do his more serious work justice--totally possible.

But unless that's the case, I'm sorry, but you did ask.

(I'm not trying to get put on probation here; I was warned about a now-deleted response I wrote to OP saying what I just expressed a little less nicely, and so I articulated my position differently. But I should be able to express it, otherwise the question in the title of this thread is just entrapment for anyone willing to answer who doesn't feel like pandering.)
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
"
solwitch wrote:
Well here I am, semester starts in a few days should I? I’m scared it will be difficult...

Are you interested in pursuing a career in "writing?" I don't mean as an author of novels, fiction, and the like. But, instead, as a journalist, freelance magazine articles, critical reviews, even a copyist or a technical writer?

"Advanced Writing" as the title of the course doesn't really tell me much. If it was "Creative Writing" that'd be easier to decipher. Due to its title, and without having the syllabus for it, I'd say it was focused on "writing styles and genres" sort of things. It probably has portions dedicated to magazine articles, internet, commercial and technical writing, etc, with a few "creative writing" sorts of topics dribbled in there, somewhere.

If you're thinking about pursing an MFA (Masters in Fine Arts) which tends to heavily focus on the creative aspect as well as the commercial application of writing, you'll likely end up taking this course as part of your undergraduate work, anyway. (An MFA covers a very wide set of "Fine Arts" criteria, particularly the written word, and it's a highly respected advanced degree in commercial circles if you're thinking about future employment opportunities.)

What are your interests? Are you pursuing anything specific in college or do you have some focused intent? In any case, taking that course will not be a wasted effort.

A note on "This is great! You should be a rocket-surgeon." reviews: One person, even a very learned one, is not a universally acknowledged critic. Obviously, something you wrote or the overall style and flavor of your work appealed to this person. That's great! One down, eleventy-million to go. :)
Amusing fact for those who dismiss all Creative Writing degrees as the lowest of the low: I was doing both Philosophy and English classes to fill out the semester load most of undergrad. I considered it filler, mostly tapping what we'd already covered in Literary Theory to bullshit through.

Halfway through third year I was invited by mailed letter to join the honours program for both. In Australia, honours is officially post-grad, a full year devoted to a sustained thesis and maybe a major work. You typically don't bother unless you are aiming for a career in academics.

I'd already devoted my post-grad to Creative Arts/Creative Writing but it was a nice thing to see that whatever we were learning in lit theory was chunkier than Eng or Phi.

Of course, this is purely anecdotal. I benefited from a sleeper lit professor who was too lazy and too comfortable to seek a more ambitious career. And by lit I also mean literally: he turned up baked more than once. Fucking liberal arts academics...

Otoh I have heard CW courses at other universities can be utterly pointless, focusing far more on the practical side of writing and less on the theoretical, which imo is less apt to make people into best-selling authors than it is simply make them the product of too many amateur hour workshop sessions. I am a fierce elitist when it comes to theory in any creative pursuit: shoulders of giants and all that.

Advanced Writing, as mork said, tells us nothing. Advanced from what? What your average high school graduate can turn out? Heh. That was a woefully low bar back in 2005; something tells me it hasn't exactly risen much since then.

There is some overlap between CW and the more practical writing paths: several of my peers went on to do copy (poor fuckers), editing and journalism. One's a lawyer, having doubled. You should learn enough about grammar, composition, brevity...all that to at least not be turned away instantly. But of course there are dedicated journo degrees for that (coincidentally my prose teacher earned her phd in journalism but soon soured on the reality of journo life; truly a win foe the CW world).

Even the course I took 15 years ago is dead now. CW folded into Crearts such that visual artists have to take writing classes and writers have to take some other corequisites no doubt barely related to the creative writing pursuit. My old prose prof is doing her best to keep it all relevant but outside of the editing classes I suspect it's a losing battle.

But let's be clear on one thing: this is not the clear path to popular writing success. One need only read a few author blurbs in best-sellers to know that. And that's nothing new: from King to Grisham to Steele to Ludlum, it was less about letters after their name and more about interesting life experience turned into compelling stories...and the connections made along the way. University is almost never an interesting life experience ripe for narrative juicing.

If anything, proper "advanced" writing makes it that much harder to take the popular route: you will be unable to unsee how objectively bad some best sellers really are. Stow your ideas of art as always subjective; the divide between well-written and well-received is damn near irreconcilable. And there is a perfectly good reason for that: readers aren't writers. Give a reader a compelling plot and solid characters with good dialogue and they will not so much forgive bad writing as simply not notice it. A good creative writing degree WILL teach you all about those but it will also make sure you are aware of how to do it without so many of the awful elements pervasive in popular fiction. The aim is to make you a better writer, and part of that process is the almost esoteric revelation that many popular writers could be so much better if they had to be. If, perhaps, they had the luxury to be.

In case it weren't glaringly obvious I have my doubts as to the basic premise of this thread. No academic I've ever known would behave this way even if they stumbled onto a young prodigy. It is just really unprofessional to show such bias without rigorous examination. So my gut tells me this is all very Solwitch meta: a creative writing exercise to see if it can convince the reader that he is good enough to write a creative but convincing scenario in which he is somehow identified as a writing wunderkind. The only time I experienced anything like that was early on when I did a day session at a local community college run by a local author no doubt happy to BS for 4 or 5 hours for some quick cash. I had a gift and knew it. A gift for being a better writer than anyone casual enough to attend a day session at a local community college run by a local author happy to BS for 4 or 5 hours for some quick cash.

Outside that, I'd genuinely question the integrity and motive of an academic so easy with the praise for a nobody over a two page piece that sounds like a high school topic essay.

But I would love to be wrong, which is why I really want to read it! I want to see what had two professionals acting like gushing npcs in a wish-fulfillment Gary-Stu fanfic...the "you remind me of a younger me" cliche at the end was the topper for me.

As usual, when you call sol's bluff he fails to show his hand. You can do that online and not somehow gain a reputation for being a chronic bullshit artist. Kind of why I imagine we see so much of it here. Reminds me a certain Korean Poptart...
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Nov 21, 2020, 8:46:44 PM
I'd say go for it. Two top notch professional opinions should be trusted, IMHO.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
...top notch. *Snigger*
"
Amusing fact for those who dismiss all Creative Writing degrees as the lowest of the low: I was doing both Philosophy and English classes to fill out the semester load most of undergrad. I considered it filler, mostly tapping what we'd already covered in Literary Theory to bullshit through.

Halfway through third year I was invited by mailed letter to join the honours program for both. In Australia, honours is officially post-grad, a full year devoted to a sustained thesis and maybe a major work. You typically don't bother unless you are aiming for a career in academics.

I'd already devoted my post-grad to Creative Arts/Creative Writing but it was a nice thing to see that whatever we were learning in lit theory was chunkier than Eng or Phi.

Of course, this is purely anecdotal. I benefited from a sleeper lit professor who was too lazy and too comfortable to seek a more ambitious career. And by lit I also mean literally: he turned up baked more than once. Fucking liberal arts academics...

Otoh I have heard CW courses at other universities can be utterly pointless, focusing far more on the practical side of writing and less on the theoretical, which imo is less apt to make people into best-selling authors than it is simply make them the product of too many amateur hour workshop sessions. I am a fierce elitist when it comes to theory in any creative pursuit: shoulders of giants and all that.

Advanced Writing, as mork said, tells us nothing. Advanced from what? What your average high school graduate can turn out? Heh. That was a woefully low bar back in 2005; something tells me it hasn't exactly risen much since then.

There is some overlap between CW and the more practical writing paths: several of my peers went on to do copy (poor fuckers), editing and journalism. One's a lawyer, having doubled. You should learn enough about grammar, composition, brevity...all that to at least not be turned away instantly. But of course there are dedicated journo degrees for that (coincidentally my prose teacher earned her phd in journalism but soon soured on the reality of journo life; truly a win foe the CW world).

Even the course I took 15 years ago is dead now. CW folded into Crearts such that visual artists have to take writing classes and writers have to take some other corequisites no doubt barely related to the creative writing pursuit. My old prose prof is doing her best to keep it all relevant but outside of the editing classes I suspect it's a losing battle.

But let's be clear on one thing: this is not the clear path to popular writing success. One need only read a few author blurbs in best-sellers to know that. And that's nothing new: from King to Grisham to Steele to Ludlum, it was less about letters after their name and more about interesting life experience turned into compelling stories...and the connections made along the way. University is almost never an interesting life experience ripe for narrative juicing.

If anything, proper "advanced" writing makes it that much harder to take the popular route: you will be unable to unsee how objectively bad some best sellers really are. Stow your ideas of art as always subjective; the divide between well-written and well-received is damn near irreconcilable. And there is a perfectly good reason for that: readers aren't writers. Give a reader a compelling plot and solid characters with good dialogue and they will not so much forgive bad writing as simply not notice it. A good creative writing degree WILL teach you all about those but it will also make sure you are aware of how to do it without so many of the awful elements pervasive in popular fiction. The aim is to make you a better writer, and part of that process is the almost esoteric revelation that many popular writers could be so much better if they had to be. If, perhaps, they had the luxury to be.

In case it weren't glaringly obvious I have my doubts as to the basic premise of this thread. No academic I've ever known would behave this way even if they stumbled onto a young prodigy. It is just really unprofessional to show such bias without rigorous examination. So my gut tells me this is all very Solwitch meta: a creative writing exercise to see if it can convince the reader that he is good enough to write a creative but convincing scenario in which he is somehow identified as a writing wunderkind. The only time I experienced anything like that was early on when I did a day session at a local community college run by a local author no doubt happy to BS for 4 or 5 hours for some quick cash. I had a gift and knew it. A gift for being a better writer than anyone casual enough to attend a day session at a local community college run by a local author happy to BS for 4 or 5 hours for some quick cash.

Outside that, I'd genuinely question the integrity and motive of an academic so easy with the praise for a nobody over a two page piece that sounds like a high school topic essay.

But I would love to be wrong, which is why I really want to read it! I want to see what had two professionals acting like gushing npcs in a wish-fulfillment Gary-Stu fanfic...the "you remind me of a younger me" cliche at the end was the topper for me.

As usual, when you call sol's bluff he fails to show his hand. You can do that online and not somehow gain a reputation for being a chronic bullshit artist. Kind of why I imagine we see so much of it here. Reminds me a certain Korean Poptart...

I think your passive aggressive nature doesn’t do well to motivate me (or anyone) to show their hand. I’ve never, ever in all the years posted something was wasn’t true. Feel free to ask the moderators... Some have my Instagram.

I’m surprised you have (I can’t quite remember what they call it); but I did not write anything Cliche about the teachers saying, "you remind me of me." The passage reads, "you remind me of my childhood." Nothing cliche about an essay that reminds people about their childhood. I think you read what you wanted to see, rather than what was actually there... I digress.

Also I need to address your other convoluted premise that I am a, "wannabe writer." That honestly invokes a bit of jealously, while I appreciate the latter, "a prodigy..." What if I am? Would that be so inartistically impossible for a young writer? P.S I love that you considered/referred to me as, "young."

Squabbles aside, there is irony in this thread... If by chance your right that this was (an accusation of) a creative practice conspiracy, we can all agree it grabbed your attention and so much that it also affected your curiosity. You yourself responded in a cliche manner, "when I was in college..."

I digress... I digress... I will be more than happy to share my adventure with you and not just you, but everyone. In addition, I have to admit I am enjoying a little bit of your deprecated mood. ^.^

"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Nov 22, 2020, 11:58:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info