Do you own any Tencent stocks?

Haha, despite the big player base and how the game has been owned by Tencent for over two years now I doubt anyone owns any stocks around here, well after you read this that might change in the future.

For those interested developing games and specifically games within the ARPG and MMORPG genre Path of Exile has offered a lot of info just like how World of Warcraft did. Most who are in their mid 30s and 40s end up casual as they are locked in some debt from cars, mortgages, tuition, etc. and then there is the marriage and kids. This explains the rapid popularity of Reddit since that's where most of the casuals hang when it comes to their "multiplayer" EXP, usually during their short breaks at work.

[Removed by Support]

I'm certain that the millennial/boomer market still wants to play video games like the younger market, but the difference is they've matured more from life, like moving out of their parents house, and on top the debt they have, now whatever they're going to spend their lives cash (money) is the primary motivator, since cash can be exchanged for everything, well almost.

Over the decade the video game industry has failed to capitalize on this opportunity, to modernize the industry through the tech available and offer its customers/consumers/players more ways and opportunities to earn/receive cash from playing/supporting their favorite games. So, today for this exact reason it's why most are spending their time (life) supporting other things with their time, as our free time is still the most precious resource until there was a tech to extend time indefinitely. So, it doesn't surprise me why through the decade this industry hasn't made significant progress.

We are all witnessing how most are driven by money and think how to earn money first, how most have some price in mind to sell whatever they've put their time creating/developing. So, we shouldn't have an issue when we see others doing what we would probably do. So, if you do want to support someone who's doing what you want, the best way to go about it is through buying their company stock like how Tencent did.

So, in a way when Tencent bought out most of GGG stocks what they actually did was paid off (supported) those who've put most of their time and effort to make this happen. Tencent just happened to be that company that believed GGG is valuable enough to purchase/control/own, and guess what? We can all do the same thing that Tencent did since their company stocks are publicly available to purchase.

Example, the Heist support pack (Master Spellblade) that sells now for $60, if I saw myself playing the Heist expansion/league through most of its duration, instead of purchasing the support pack I would purchase a Tencent stock since their price is similar.

This industry has to develop games with the best interest for the players first since it's the only way they'll be able to capture and control more markets like the boomers and millenials, markets that are owned (controlled) by other companies out there, companies that have a game design (formula) that's profitable for them. There are many ways how those involved in this industry can do the same.

So, yes voting with my wallet has been a good approach through the decade, but this is how I could do more. By purchasing stocks in companies that are doing what I want its not only how I'll support their vision, but I'll also be closer to control of what else they're going to deliver, as I end up buying and controlling more of their company stocks. I do want Tencent to deliver because for me it's been a very long time since humanity has done anything worthy to open my wallet. So, just how happy I was when I was a kid spending money on a new game I would be as happy when I'll have an opportunity to spend my money again on something I like.

So, pay attention on stocks and pandemics. Activision Blizzard stocks as example made a great comeback boosting its value by 75%+ within a year, which is a further indication of the impact WOW: Shadowlands will have on this industry, and specifically on PoE since their genre is similar. This is bad news for GGG-Tencent, especially how they will be under a lot of pressure. Whatever they're going to deliver in March as well as with Path of Exile 2 will be either a great opportunity to buy or sell Tencent stocks :)

Covid-19 did wonders for the gaming industry. For me I am doing this and sharing information for free since my interest first has always been to experience this brief life to the fullest, enjoying what I want first which is a great game to play and then money comes second. So, yes voting with my wallet was the right thing to do through the decade, but not enough. I didn't do enough of stock gameplay with this industry or had the time to study software engineer/programmer/coding as I was too busy, you know GAMING.
Last edited by Nicholas_GGG on Sep 13, 2020, 2:11:49 AM
Last bumped on Sep 13, 2020, 9:24:06 PM
Tencent is most likely going to do well regardless of Poe's success with 4.0. I wouldn't buy the stock as I just don't like Tencent and their business model. However, there is a reason why Tencent is doing well and will continue to do so unless the gaming sentiment and mentality changes. Everything is ridiculously casualized and simplified this days. It comes to the gameplay aspect of Poe as well. It literally is a braindead game atm, only need a couple brain cells to assemble a build that can do all content with ease.
Just think about it, nowadays, people would prefer to spend their time playing a mobile game on their phone that is so simplified that all you need to do is hold 1 button on phone and watch the game play for you. It's a sad reality of gaming industry, good games don't do well anymore.
If anything, I would rather buy Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. stock. At least they don't ruin the games I love.
Bwahahahhhhhhaaahahah.... ahhhhahahhahahah... hahahhaha

You're going to influence a company by purchasing 0.000000000000000001% of their stock? You are plankton in a sea of share holders.

Usually I don't read anything written by the OP, the name is enough to warn me that the content is pointless, but I had a good idea I was going to get a good laugh out of this one!

And anyone out there taking share trading advice from some random user ID on a computer game forum gets what they deserve.
As someone who does own shares, I can say it's absolutely not about 'influencing' the companies. It's about dividends, plain and simple. Their value, their pay out dates, the tax applied to said shares. I'll leave it to others to say what I think of this OP and its author, because they get away with it and I apparently don't.

edit: Better.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Sep 13, 2020, 2:15:12 AM
@Aldora_the_Summoner

"Bwahahahhhhhhaaahahah.... ahhhhahahhahahah... hahahhaha" for wanting to believe in whatever will help you fall asleep tonight. Please, can you be so kind and enlighten the community where in the thread above I stated that by purchasing a small percentage of stocks from hundreds, thousands or millions I am going to influence the company?

You clearly didn't get the memo and it makes sense why, as not all get what I am writing and for good reasons. At the end whatever "influence' I will have in any company it will be greater than yours as long as I own more stocks than you.

Finally, you are welcome that I spent another 30 seconds of my most precious resource responding to some "random user ID" that failed badly to discredit and argue on a single thing mentioned in this thread, as clearly that was your attempt. You are welcome to keep trying to do more of the same, but the next time you have to try much harder to get another response.

You are welcome.

EDIT:

@Chan we all learn through the process of evolution. For example, humans can do what they want with animals as they don't have a voice or rights, but it's a much different story when faced against someone that's within or above their level. At the end all primitive life is always blessed to be in the presence with advanced species, as they can only benefit from the experience. I am happy to see that you are a much better and improved version today from Charan.

Finally, you mention dividends and how it's "absolutely" not about influence, well Chris is your best example that despite the millions he was offered, for him preserving some "influence" (control/role) over his company was that decisive factor. Dividends have a completely different function (role) and yes, the company where one can own stocks and receive dividends will always have an advantage than the one that does not, which again proves my point on how "rewarding" (valuable) something is to someone that's the decisive factor for "opening their wallets".
Last edited by Kopogero on Sep 13, 2020, 3:17:39 AM
Buying stocks in china is treason i say, treason
Yeah, nfi what you're banging on about now, but you do you dude.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
No
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020
I own a pair of Tencent socks
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
Smh. Fancy thinking the buying of public float actually bring you “closer to controlling the company”. Might want to do more research before jumping on a new essay with 101 knowledge you acquired on financial markets.
It will convert your forum titles into decorative square badges that use the space next to your forum posts more economically so that you can show off an unlimited number of them at any one time. - GGG, 2018 (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3573673)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info