How do you guys save money for economic breakdown due to coronoa virus?

I eat eggs toasted bread.
I play path of exile rather than going out.
I watch youtubes instead of paid tv subscription like netflix or going out to cinemas.
Last edited by mina97 on Apr 5, 2020, 3:59:02 AM
Last bumped on May 8, 2020, 9:42:02 PM
I've saved a fortune now that all the restaurants and bars have shut. I love cooking but used to eat out a lot as well. Buying more simple food at the moment.
Gym has suspended their membership fees from the end of this month so won't be paying for that.
Not paying for public transport or petrol.

Only thing that's going to increase is the electricity bill
I ordered some parts i needed
transformator, batterycharger, soldered some machinery, searched for some more parts to replace which are unfortunately not produced anymore.

I guess the term is overqualified for saving money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Being classified as "Essential", back to work next week.
Mrs. is still working too, but that may change soon.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
i get taxed about 65% of the income, all taxes included, as well as debt from previous bad decisions in my life, as well as exorbitant living costs(not standards, cost)....i don't. doesn't feel like we can
i absolutely know im not alone in this either and its probably more common than not.

a lot of people are going to need help. i don't have money to lend but soon i may have a ton of time so i'll be looking to use that, and if im in need of help in what i don't have im confident it'll be provided (no, not confidence in governmental aid)
Last edited by xMustard on Mar 26, 2020, 2:06:49 PM
I don't live in the USA so right now there is no need to save the money on the bank account but I will watch the economic collapse closely because there will be a chain reaction.

The problem I see is USA->China->Rest of the world.

Tech sector and certain service sector might do well.

Another big factor is which countries suffer the least by the virus itself.
I love soup, and soup is very economical. Yesterday I made a slow-cooker load of minestrone, having stocked up on diced tomatoes and beans. 300g of defrosted frozen breast, half a cup of pasta. Stock. A few vegetables. Done.

Another I like is broccoli soup. Head of broccoli, a few spuds, an onion, bit of salt.

I also make what my family calls Jook, but is more commonly known as Congee. Rice porridge Cup of rice, 10 or so cups of water, some stock, ginger. That's your base. From there you can add pretty much anything. Lasts several days.

I can't go out, so I've just been playing a lot of whatever keeps me busy. Reading backlog kindle books, of which I have many. haven't been watching much though -- saving that for when I get sick of the games I've already bought I suspect.

Just not being able to go out has slashed our spending really. Can't impulse buy or just duck into a restaurant. Online shopping has been reduced to groceries and meds.

If the delivery of either of those goes down, I'm screwed.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
- Stopped eating out and cook my meals often
- Shop as needed get 2 weeks worth of food
- No impulse buying
- PoE
Last edited by Molochmane on Mar 27, 2020, 12:12:09 AM
I had pretty much put the brakes on most discretionary spending before this Stephen King story made real commenced due to many expenses involving purchasing a house. But this has stopped me cold.

I only wish I had purchased a freezer (now I have room in garage) before this started. :(

We had quite a few home improvement projects scheduled for spring. I don't know most of them will come off now. :(
Censored.
Iceboxes aren't big here, but they sure got popular the past month or so. My mother nabbed one which makes me happy.

Dude! Bit of retrospective for you here -- good thing you quit smoking. Not only is it an obvious risk factor, it's a financial drain too. And, worst of all, it's an addiction that might drive some people to be a bit more reckless than they ought to be.

We are still too indulgent with streaming services and whatnot. Probably have a few too many of them subscribed to be frugal but we do watch all of them for various things.

I'm not driving right now so we're saving on fuel quite significantly.

The last big purchase we did was Animal Crossing on the Switch, and it's kept the GF happy and sane all week, so I consider it 'essential'. ;)
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 27, 2020, 12:50:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info