You can help COVID-19 and other diseases research with your CPU/GPU

In case some did not hear about this,

A research project on the corona virus is available through Stanford's folding@home software, along with many other diseases. It seems one can dedicate their own cpu/gpu capacity to these projects after installing the software. To quote from the official website:

"
Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. As of today, the project is using the idle resources of personal computers owned by volunteers from all over the world. Thousands of people contribute to the success of this project.

More details and links at: https://foldingathome.org

Edit:Thanks to the The_Impeacher, here is a video explaining further https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78vz5HAFDQU

PS: not looking to argue here, just a heads up.

Last edited by Eviltachyon on Mar 15, 2020, 8:33:04 AM
Last bumped on Mar 21, 2020, 12:56:57 PM
Thank you for the heads up. Folding now
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
What is this? Are they essentially brute forcing diseases?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I had been letting my idle PC's process radio signals for SETI@home for about 20 yrs, but they're shutting down at the end of the month. Recently switched over to Einstein@home instead to analyze pulsar-related data.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Oh, I used to do this with my Ps3. Happy to do it again now.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
We fold, therefore we are.
I got into folding some years ago from this very forum. There was a person that had one of the dread diseases (I don't remember which) and he was thinking that gamers made the perfect folders since generally they have bigger, badder computers.

Been folding since. It is a basically free way to help support treatments and hopefully cures for these horrible diseases.
Censored.
"
I wasn't aware consoles were viable options for this. I don't own a PC anymore, but I do play PoE sometimes on my PS4.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 15, 2020, 3:28:38 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
I wasn't aware consoles were viable options for this. I don't own a PC anymore, but I do play PoE sometimes on my PS4.

Yeah consoles have a lot of GPU and this sort of hardware seems particularly well suited for folding and modeling physical chemistry

My potato is your potato, Stanford!
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info