wolcen lords of mayhem

I am waiting too. I already have two characters at level 20 (in beta). In my opinion, they still have a long way to go - but I keep my fingers crossed for them. I believe that they will develop.
Last edited by Rip_VanWinkle on Feb 10, 2020, 2:25:09 PM
"
Rip_VanWinkle wrote:
I am waiting too. I already have two characters at level 20 (in beta). In my opinion, they still have a long way to go - but I keep my fingers crossed for them. I believe that they will develop.

Why are you giving us a play by play account of your adventures in Wolcen? Shouldn't you be spending time on the Wolcen forums? Or is this an entire thread just an intentional troll for attention?

Anyway, since you're here, can you please assist in my attempt at trolling?

*Ahem* I said (on another of the MANY Wolcen threads) - STAR CITIZEN! (psst...that's your cue)
I don't get why people are acting so defensive about Wolcen releasing.

Wolcen isn't gonna kill PoE. For one, Wolcen isn't free, and second of all, it's not designed to be played forever.

I played Wolcen beta, and they refined the combat considerably over what it was in Alpha. There will be 3 acts at release, with a level cap of 90, and the end game will be getting materials to build a town, and an endless dungeon type thing similar to greater rifts in D3, and potentially more. So at the minimum, the game has potential for at least 100+ hrs. If that's not enough content to justify a purchase, then I'd imagine you don't buy many games.

Build wise, the game looks like it's gonna have at least as much depth as Grim Dawn. You'll be able to do a lot of stuff, a lot of different ways. You'll have crit builds, not crit builds, focus on 1 element builds, focus on elemental effect procs builds, damage conversion builds, pet builds with debuffs/CCs, along with your more traditional roles for builds, like raw 2H melee, or sword and board, or rogue/thief, and generalist mage, and build defining uniques that can change scaling stats entirely. You'll be able to make a mage-tank, rogue-mage, spellsword, or mix some combo of the above into something that revolves around doing max damage with something that does a lot of damage, and congrats you just found the meta.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 11, 2020, 4:18:55 PM
I took a look today. The release seems to have been a bit of a shitshow, online mode is down because servers are overloaded "due to an unexpected surge in traffic" (3 years in development and they weren't expecting a surge on release day......) and players lost their progress and items in offline mode due to a bug.

Other than that, so far it looks very pretty and the storytelling is great, but the extent to which they've used PoE "as inspiration" is somewhat uncomfortable. I understand this is a genre full of "spiritual successors" and borrowing ideas "to pay homage" and stuff, but I feel like this may be pushing it too far.

I'll play on a bit to get my $40 worth of playtime but would be more likely to get back into PoE than to invest much time in Wolcen.

Just my 2c.
Based on their character creation screen, it's clear that they've never met a real woman in the flesh. Or a person of color, for that matter.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
I took a look today. The release seems to have been a bit of a shitshow, online mode is down because servers are overloaded "due to an unexpected surge in traffic" (3 years in development and they weren't expecting a surge on release day......) and players lost their progress and items in offline mode due to a bug.

Other than that, so far it looks very pretty and the storytelling is great, but the extent to which they've used PoE "as inspiration" is somewhat uncomfortable. I understand this is a genre full of "spiritual successors" and borrowing ideas "to pay homage" and stuff, but I feel like this may be pushing it too far.

I'll play on a bit to get my $40 worth of playtime but would be more likely to get back into PoE than to invest much time in Wolcen.

Just my 2c.

Whoa Monsta long time!

Unfortunately we have no updates to fishing to provide.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Unfortunately we have no updates to fishing to provide.

I do, but I'll save them for another day. Still no word on whether Wolcen even has fishing, but so far the whole game is just feeling like an amalgamation of PoE and Grim Dawn with little effort being made to differentiate itself or bring any new concepts to the genre.

The way you can turn sections of the skill tree is pretty cool but that's the only thing I've found that really excited me so far (aside from offline mode which is great now that I have a minimonsta to watch over).
Sadly, if Wolcen is going to kill any game, it's probably gonna be Grim Dawn. Which is sad, as Grim Dawn is an underappreciated gem.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
I don't get why people are acting so defensive about Wolcen releasing.

Wolcen isn't gonna kill PoE. For one, Wolcen isn't free, and second of all, it's not designed to be played forever.

I played Wolcen beta, and they refined the combat considerably over what it was in Alpha. There will be 3 acts at release, with a level cap of 90, and the end game will be getting materials to build a town, and an endless dungeon type thing similar to greater rifts in D3, and potentially more. So at the minimum, the game has potential for at least 100+ hrs. If that's not enough content to justify a purchase, then I'd imagine you don't buy many games.

Build wise, the game looks like it's gonna have at least as much depth as Grim Dawn. You'll be able to do a lot of stuff, a lot of different ways. You'll have crit builds, not crit builds, focus on 1 element builds, focus on elemental effect procs builds, damage conversion builds, pet builds with debuffs/CCs, along with your more traditional roles for builds, like raw 2H melee, or sword and board, or rogue/thief, and generalist mage, and build defining uniques that can change scaling stats entirely. You'll be able to make a mage-tank, rogue-mage, spellsword, or mix some combo of the above into something that revolves around doing max damage with something that does a lot of damage, and congrats you just found the meta.

Tbh, I don't have anything against Wolcen. But all these threads still annoy me. Why? Because this is an example of what is wrong with gaming these days - pre-order and Day 1 purchase bullshit. This what enables so many companies to so often screw us all over. Wolcen could end up being a good game. It could be trash. Either way, I'm happy to wait a few weeks or even months to find out. But all these release hype threads are showing me that even years after these practices started very few gamers seem to have learned that lesson.

I don't mind PoE having competition, in fact I welcome it. But I absolutely mind this kind of cancerous, impatient and short-sighted consumerism as hurting us all, including those of us who do wait and see (as it affects gaming publisher priorities and business models). To the extent that people post threads like "Wolcen humiliated Path of Exile" when it has just barely fuckin' released!

And yes, Wolcen's price hike upon release to encourage this behaviour is a definite red flag in that regard. But I'd still rather pay $45 for a game that I know is good (from doing my research i.e. check out a variety of reviews / user scores - AFTER release) than $30 for a game that could be trash.
"
Exile009 wrote:
Sadly, if Wolcen is going to kill any game, it's probably gonna be Grim Dawn. Which is sad, as Grim Dawn is an underappreciated gem.

you played the reign of terror mod for it? diablo 2 remade in the grim dawn engine?

weve been playing that over here a fair bit and found it really quite fun, i might actually enjoy it a bit more than standard grim dawn tbh.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info