Tencent buys out Funcom?

"
Lachdanan wrote:
I don´t think this fearmongering is all about playing monopoly and rise and fall of corps. It´s more about "trusting" the corp-state with all your e-details.

You know what would be cool, using the new "face-recognition"-programms instead of typing passwords the old fashiond way. All power to the state. /ironyoff

Who here really knows in which direction AI develops next.

Actually that's not even a concern to me really at all. If hackers and criminals really want your info, you're fucked.

Im more worried about stiflied game development due to publisher overlords clamping down revenue and profit streams. The larger these companies get, the bigger the influence they can exert.

It's sad when CD Projekt Red, Rockstar, and Bungie(recently) are the few exceptions, and not the rule.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jan 22, 2020, 3:03:03 PM
More like CDPR, Naughty Dog, From Software and Guerilla Games. I really wouldn't want to throw Rockstar into this mix, DarthSki. They are already on a dark path. Take Two takes no prisoners ...

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
ghamadvar wrote:
More like CDPR, Naughty Dog, From Software and Guerilla Games. I really wouldn't want to throw Rockstar into this mix, DarthSki. They are already on a dark path. Take Two takes no prisoners ...

I was only pointing out some of those sucessful developers that dont have publishing overloads looming over them.

Now you might not like Rockstar as a company. (which definitely falls under live long enough as the hero to become the villan), but you have to at least respect that they built it themselves, and dont have to answer to anyone (financially) about their development.

Personally I dont know what this dark path is that you reference. Is it how they monetize GTAO? Seems tame to me...
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
The Beast grows.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
...Im more worried about stiflied game development due to publisher overlords clamping down revenue and profit streams. The larger these companies get, the bigger the influence they can exert.

Guess what? There's no such thing as "game development." Nope, doesn't exist.

What does exist is "product development."

Now, there are some developers out there that are sincerely just interested in making enough to keep the lights on while also making their dreams come true. They want to make a wonderful game that everyone loves and just happens to love paying for, too. Some may not care and may just want to make games and give them away for free.

But, in the circles you're talking about, "game development" in the context I think you're using does not exist.

"Yes. Hello? Electric Company? We'd like to pay our bill. Excellent! Do you accept Game Development Credits?"

"
It's sad when CD Projekt Red, Rockstar, and Bungie(recently) are the few exceptions, and not the rule.

And, their names survive because they create successful products.

The reason I make the distinction is that Tencent wants to make successful products, too. Those are "games." Well, some of them. They also make other products.

But, here, they're doing exactly what I would expect a state-subsidied, partially owned, wholly promoted "monopoly" would do that holds the keys to a customer base everyone else desperately wants access to - They're pushing people around and eating all the weak fish.

Those acquisitions give Tencent more tools, more ammo, more legal assertions that can't be denied and much more flexibility in terms of marketing other products and services as well.

In time, you'll be playing an "awesome game" that is actually made by some Tencent subdivision somewhere. You'll log into the game and get inducements to purchase other games or to join/install social media groups/apps. You'll get exposed to some of the more intense games (products) that they offer, too. And, you may end up signing your life away and buying thousands of dollars of e-dollie crap...

Tencent has the deepest pockets in the entire world in terms of Game Publishing and development monies. In terms of its social media exposure, it's probably only second to Facebook. And, it's got China's wholehearted support, too. China has an army. What does CD Projekt Red have?

I get where you're coming from. But, this is about money and control over a market and its products. "Game Development" for its own sake is not something you'll see there.

The list of "games developed for their own sake" is mostly games in which production was totally halted because they wouldn't be profitable "products."

If you don't want these guys in your living room, you're going to have a very tough time. It's already apparent that the industry doesn't seem to want to try to form ranks against their consumption of IPs and other developers. If you live in a country where it's possible, some "protectionist" action by your legislators may be warranted. Eventually, your most favorite and successful developer/publisher will be a target if they're a juicy enough fish. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info