Problem with supposedly new dishwasher

So, as many of you already know, rather than going to Exilecon I used the money (and then some!) to purchase a house.

There is a new dishwasher in here that was installed by the previous owner's stupid relative (w/out going into detail let me just say he is not Mr. Handy. The dude literally does not know the difference between a screw and a nail judging by some of the stuff in walls here). The agent told me they replaced it (I would have been cool just buying one but whatever).

Anyway, it does not work. Fills up with water that is hot. But dishes never get clean. Also cycle takes forever and a day. Stuff just doesn't get clean and water never even gets to the top rack. I put a paper towel up there and it came out dry! Water pressure in the house is fine.

I have googled and watched vids about it and have no clue wtf is wrong with it. I am about to just call in a plumber but I think they will overcharge me. I have already spent tons of money on moving, new fridge, flooring, tools, I don't know what all.

Wife suggested I reverse engineer it. I have install instructions. I would prefer just knowing what is wrong with it rather than taking the whole damned thing apart and putting it back together again.

I have to install new tile in the bathroom and all the labor time is worse than the money. :(

We literally spent an entire afternoon a couple weekends ago just going all over the house and pulling hardware out of the walls. No, I am not kidding. It is a biggish house, but still!
Censored.
Last bumped on Feb 11, 2020, 5:11:26 PM
Does it still have a lot of water in it once it happens to get finished ?
The pump could be clogged with cherrystones.
-Remove the filters, maybe one screw for the pumpwheelcover.
The tube could be kinked.
The one who installed it could have forgotten to remove a full circle plastik for the drain towards the syphon. (even a professinal kitchenbuilder forgot this one once)

Does it even get *enough water ?
Maybe it only gets a third, check the faucet/connection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Last edited by Lachdanan on Jan 11, 2020, 2:45:08 PM
Have you turned it off, and then turned it on again? (obligatory!)

If it used to work fine (even just once) and now sucks, likely something got plugged or disconnected/kinked since then, do what lachdanan says but don't embark on a time-wasting and messy total dissection of your dishwasher.

If it's new, it might still be covered under warranty and you can get the company to come deal with it. No headaches, no cost.

If it's never worked and the warranty is expired or voided (because many property managers and well-meaning homeowners or their relatives, haven't the first clue how to read the owner's manual and install or configure correctly, and void the warranty as well as render the equipment unfit for use) then you could get the property agency to accept some responsibility for it not working and have them either exchange it or eat the repair cost.

If nobody is willing to take responsibility then it might be worth it to file a claim, meanwhile just wash your dishes in the sink (at least that works, right?). It's crappy and it takes time, but a broken dishwasher stinks, and you have to haul it away for repairs (or to the dump!) if you can't troubleshoot it or they won't pay to fix it.

Make some trouble! Don't let them ignore and neglect you into expensive, messy submission.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
No, the water drains fine. I don't think it is getting enough water. And yeah the warranty is not here but would be voided since it was installed by a non pro. It has never worked to my knowledge.

Yes, I hate hand washing the dishes but that is what we have been doing. :(
Censored.
What are the brand and model number of your dishwasher? I'm currently in the process of dealing with a very old dishwasher which has, after many decades, decided not to drain, so I have quite a few windows open related to repair/maintenance. I'd be glad to plug your details in and see if I can find anything. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Don´t need to be a pro for a dishwasher.
-screw the water on and make sure it doesn´t drip
-don´t forget the syphoning
-plug the electrics in (some countries use 120Volt)
-make sure its somewhat level
Shouldn´t be a concern for warrantys sake.

"I don't think it is getting enough water."
The wording on that one confuses me more than it shouldn´t :)
-enough pressure in the whole house doesn´t help you when exactly this waterline is a tiny noodle/ thin tube. pressure+space=volume.
-you could unplug it there and test it outside
before you go on wateradventure, remember the location of the main-valves just in case, its a new house and they are probably not where you used them to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
If i ever saw an offtopic worthy post, this would be the one.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Ray, it is Frigidaire ffcd2413uw1a. I have installation booklet and owner's manual and that is it. Thanks in advance for anything you find out.

I have a funny story about the location of the house water main (I have many adventure stories about moving some funnier than others).

It was in contract that they repair a hose bib outside which did not function per inspector. They got a plumber to come and do that as well as fix one of the shower diverters (I also put that in contract). Anyhow, this work was done literally the day before closing and we arrived here 3 days after.

We arrived and I had to urinate like crazy. I went to a bathroom, did it, and then turned the water on and NOTHING. Also noticing by now toilet not filling up.

I had water/sewer switched over to my name already, set to take effect on closing date. I thought the dummies at the city did something wrong.

Then DUH. Found the water main in the garage and the plumber had simply left it off.

So yeah I know where the main water shutoff is. :)
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Ray, it is Frigidaire ffcd2413uw1a. I have installation booklet and owner's manual and that is it. Thanks in advance for anything you find out.

I have a funny story about the location of the house water main (I have many adventure stories about moving some funnier than others).

It was in contract that they repair a hose bib outside which did not function per inspector. They got a plumber to come and do that as well as fix one of the shower diverters (I also put that in contract). Anyhow, this work was done literally the day before closing and we arrived here 3 days after.

We arrived and I had to urinate like crazy. I went to a bathroom, did it, and then turned the water on and NOTHING. Also noticing by now toilet not filling up.

I had water/sewer switched over to my name already, set to take effect on closing date. I thought the dummies at the city did something wrong.

Then DUH. Found the water main in the garage and the plumber had simply left it off.

So yeah I know where the main water shutoff is. :)

First thing I located was this:

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/Dishwasher-Repair/9-2-2172068-/New/Frigidaire-Dishwasher-FFCD2413UW1A-ModelTroubleshooting

That leads to:

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Dishwasher/25-2-2172068-/New/Frigidaire-Dishwasher-Not-Cleaning-ffcd2413uw1a

Hopefully that will give you something to start with. If I can find anything else, I'll chime in again. Best of all good luck to you! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Just an additional thought: As this is an ostensibly new dishwasher, installed by someone whose skills may be sub-par, it is possible that your issue may stem from an uncompleted step in installation related to your garbage disposal unit (if you have one):

https://youtu.be/rFgoZiCFWkY?t=41

Just follow the steps shown for inserting a probe into the garbage disposal, and you can check to see if the knock-out plug remains in place. If so, it it probably the cause of your problems. It's easy to punch out with a screwdriver and a tap from a hammer (though you will have to uninstall the disposal to do this):

https://youtu.be/Ma1onauylIU

=^[.]^=

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info