Happy New Year Ya'll!

"
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
It's new years for me now, so happy new years. I'm having celebration nuggets and tea.

Edit: What the hell, I just realized everyone on this forum says "new year". I've never heard someone not say "new years". New year sounds really off, like you're a foreign guy who can almost speak english well.
Not sure where you're from, but I've rarely ever (as in, damned close to never) heard anyone say it your way. If/when I do, that sounds to me like a foreigner who can almost speak English well. It would be like saying Merry Christmases or Happy Halloweens. Lol...

Sort of, it's kind of different though. I see it as you're celebrating a new year on a holiday where you celebrate new years. Those other holidays you're celebrating something that happened once and won't again. A new year happens every year though.
Each New Year only happens once though, same as other holidays. Unless you happen to be traveling and hit it more than once through time zone changes, I guess. Haha...

And it's for celebrating the new year that's just starting. Not the ones that came before or will come in the future, or the fact that it happens every year.

TBH, I don't recall ever hearing a non-black native English speaker refer to it as New Years. Many years ago when I did tech support for Apple, I had a cubicle next to a black dude for a couple years who always said it that way. I'm not sure if it was a black thing or just his thing, but he's the only person I can think of who did that. He was kind of a trip anyway though.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
TBH, I don't recall ever hearing a non-black native English speaker refer to it as New Years. Many years ago when I did tech support for Apple, I had a cubicle next to a black dude for a couple years who always said it that way. I'm not sure if it was a black thing or just his thing, but he's the only person I can think of who did that. He was kind of a trip anyway though.
The Detroit way was:
- "Happy new year!"
- "What are you doing for New Year's?" (Eve implied)
- "Man, did I ever get drunk on New Year's."

So on New Year's (the day) you celebrate the new year, and if you called it New Year's Eve people might ask you what you meant by Eve.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 1, 2020, 2:47:23 PM
"
aggromagnet wrote:

TBH, I don't recall ever hearing a non-black native English speaker refer to it as New Years.

My middle name is Jerome, I've liked to think that makes me partially black. (My dad's name is Jerome, that's why (My grandpa named him that as a joke))
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:
The Detroit way was:
- "Happy new year!"
- "What are you doing for New Year's?" (Eve implied)
- "Man, did I ever get drunk on New Year's."

So on New Year's (the day) you celebrate the new year, and if you called it New Year's Eve people might ask you what you meant by Eve.
Right, those are the usual ways everywhere I've ever lived (and I've lived in a LOT of places). Not years.

Except for the dude I worked with, Will Smith. Or, as he would introduce himself to people, "William Smith, the Third. Not Will Smith, the actor." He definitely used years. As in "Happy new years!"
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
My middle name is Jerome, I've liked to think that makes me partially black.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
My middle name is Jerome, I've liked to think that makes me partially black.

I applaud the accuracy of that picture.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info