Asked my Astronomy teacher a question...

"If the universe is expanding, and there is life out there... Wouldn’t an Alien race be far more advanced? And if so why the hell are we sending out signals; such as radio waves to be noticed?"

My teacher replied, "because humans are stupid."

...the entire class laughed, thought I share.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last bumped on Dec 24, 2019, 9:38:46 AM
I mean... I'm fairly sure your teacher's right about that one.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
solwitch wrote:
"If the universe is expanding, and there is life out there... Wouldn’t an Alien race be far more advanced? And if so why the hell are we sending out signals; such as radio waves to be noticed?"

My teacher replied, "because humans are stupid."

...the entire class laughed, thought I share.

Because its simple and basic. You can hear radio waves ene with your phone right now so no matter how technology will advance radio waves will always be detectible.

The problem may lay in speed of those waves across the eptyness but we dont know what or who is there and what capabilities they have. Also we dont know if they dont exist or they just decided not to answer because and this is Your teacher point - we are stupid.

I like to think about "them" and "us" in a way. Every day we all go to work or other staff, doing things, get around own life. During that we on every day basic are missing the whole civilizations of insects for example. There are some weirdos who look for insects, watch them and understand them. Then they do documentaries about it we watch it and get back to our life ignoring all that insect civilizations that are around us.

We are insects in thie scenario. We are way behind communication barrier because how exackly youd like to talk to insect?
You bassicaly started the first line of the "dark forest theory".

And i say the first line, because what your teacher concluded is far from finished or remotely inteligent.

And just to give you a little pre-ample, we aren't stupid for sending out any wave-signals, because of how big space is, another society/civilization wouldn't be capable of measuring our technological status based on the medium utilized for sending out signals.(due to travel time of waves and distance)

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
yes, humans are stupid.
i won't go into why
Not only stupid. Basking in their... own glory they are invincible too. So it figures.
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
"
solwitch wrote:

"humans are stupid."

I have told my kids for years, if you only remember me saying one thing...
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
It's odd how people think calling other people stupid is a sign of intelligence.

I was thought other people are different, which bears out and is consistent with reality, the stupid philosophy not so much.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
Boem wrote:
It's odd how people think calling other people stupid is a sign of intelligence.

that isn't how it works, obviously. if people call others stupid thinking its a sign of their intelligence, well they're just as stupid.

people are stupid. everyone. you, me, everyone. we all have our own ways and reasons.

as for people as in a general group - ya definitely stupid. cattle stupid. almost literally cattle
Self-deprecation is fine if its either humorous or after an event you want to emphasize for yourself, beyond that and it sort of resembles the whole "eternal sin" christian guild stuff.

whats the long therm strategy of a world view filled with "stupid people"?
I know its innacurate and a first level karikature of people in general, but im trying to think what the benefit of that idea is beyond increased anxiety and a loss of faith in human nature.

Peace,

-Boem-

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info