Buyouts

What is the harm if a seller sets their buyout, and I match said buyout price in the trade window, to have the trade complete?

Why is there even an option to have the seller decline the offer if they set the buyout and the offer matches?

Isn't that the definition of a "buyout" price?

I've read a decent amount of threads regarding console trade improvements and I still can't see the downside of this being implemented...other than GGG making the trade process unnecessarily cumbersome on console.
Last edited by Sumosan13 on Sep 17, 2019, 4:46:44 PM
Last bumped on Sep 27, 2019, 1:16:49 PM
One potential downside would be say for example you have an exalted orb in your currency stash you want to sell for 100 chaos orbs, you find another one, put it in the stash but forget to adjust your asking price and by auto completion you would sell 2 exalted orbs for still 100 chaos orbs.

Same would be true for diviniation cards etc.

Trade just needs a serious overhaul but i rather see a stable framerate first and foremost but even that is just wishful thinking it seems...
It needs changed,too many price fixers on console,cant ignore them either.
Solid example.

I didn't even think of stackables. I hear ya though, performance should be first and foremost.

Probably my last 70% or so trade attempts matching the buyout were declined.

Took forever to find what I was looking for with a b/o, waited forever, and then it was declined.

Gets kind of annoying and they weren't even price-fixer buyouts aka. too good to be true prices I don't think.

Yea i know what you mean those kind of sellers are really annoying they just try how far they can go witj their price and as soon as the offers stop coming in they lower the price again and sell it's really obvious if you're looking for a certain item (like on of a kind) and see his asking price continously rise and rise and rise and after a couple days lowers just a tiny bit
"
GrobuIon wrote:
Yea i know what you mean those kind of sellers are really annoying they just try how far they can go witj their price and as soon as the offers stop coming in they lower the price again and sell it's really obvious if you're looking for a certain item (like on of a kind) and see his asking price continously rise and rise and rise and after a couple days lowers just a tiny bit

That would be annoying for the buyers. But in retrospect, it seems pretty rational behaviour on the part of the seller (as opposed to "evil intent"). The seller may just be reacting to the lack of options for selling top tier stuff (that is, perhaps the system is driving the behaviour more than the personality of the seller). But again, very annoying - just not sure where the root of the issue lies.

Every League I become more convinced that a buyout option should exist for items priced below a certain level. Players could put decent (but not wonderful) stuff out there for other Players to use while building up their Character - and all without hassles on either side of the transaction. It just seems to me to be a way to attract more Players to Console, and maybe have some stick around. But it might mean an end to setting your special tabs to Public (unless you are very careful).
Formerly posted under AnExile_onthePath
"
Sumosan13 wrote:
Solid example.

I didn't even think of stackables. I hear ya though, performance should be first and foremost.

Probably my last 70% or so trade attempts matching the buyout were declined.

Took forever to find what I was looking for with a b/o, waited forever, and then it was declined.

Gets kind of annoying and they weren't even price-fixer buyouts aka. too good to be true prices I don't think.

Just throwing this out there, but another possibility is a seller receives multiple b/o offers in a short period of time. A seller who just put up a Baron and decides to delve immediately after isn’t going to go back to town/hideout right away usually. There’s also plenty of people who afk for hours at a time so their items stay in the “sort by online” filter. Might just be a matter of not being the first bidder.

But yes, I feel that having to confirm a buyout is unnecessary for both buyer and seller.
TLDR: I don't know that there is a fix that wouldn't also be considered an annoying, frustrating, added game mechanic for both buyers and sellers. :( It's an open "Barter Based" economy.

The overarching problem is that there is no standard form of currency.

ALL currency is also a "Crafting Item." All currency has both an implicit value and an implied value. There is no "gold" or "money" in PoE so no medium of exchange can be set or adjusted mechanically.

That means that the game/engine can not somehow interpret a value or conform to some determined set of trade standards in player exchanges. The closest the game comes to establishing a set of exchange rules are the various sorts of vendors. Those trade values loosely determine general value for PoE "currency." But, they only go so far and only up to a certain tier of exchange. (Orbs of Regret, perhaps, are the most valuable "Vendor Currency" based upon exchange rates? Fuse? Can't remember atm.) Those in-game-set exchange rates are considered to be the lowest valued exchange rate possible. They are the "floor" of the currency market since anyone has access to them.

The point being that in order to establish some kind of Automatic Sell feature once a price is met, one must first establish the relative values of currencies involved so the game can understand them. Yet, outside of the game's vendors, the market is set up to be entirely open and unregulated with the exception of only allowing crafting materials as the medium of exchange. (Or Regrets, which is a sort of crafting material for characters, I suppose.)

I fear that there isn't a system that can be implemented that can't also be easily manipulated or wouldn't present annoying restrictions on the user(s).

Could it be done? Yes, to a certain extent. But, it may involved a tone of real-time calculations and database crap that few people would like. It could slow down the Marketplace engine or involve a lot of load that GGG doesn't want to pay for. It could also still be manipulated by a wealthy and savvy "Marketplace Famer."

I'd love someone to fix all this. I just don't think many systems that have been suggested work to solve the problem without also adding some inconveniences for players. In some cases, the "fixes" could even deny some players marketplace access, like restricting the types of currency allowed, etc.

I do think that the Currency market, specifically, needs to be looked at by GGG for possible solutions, even if they don't touch any other sub-category of the Marketplace. Something needs to be done concerning price-fixing there as it can determine the value of the overall market. (Though, because it is not the sole source for currency, its significance is reduced outside of its own sub-category.)
Two suggestions I made over on Reddit that might be more visible to GGG here:

1) If we *are* going to fix price-fixing, and we take GGG at their word that "auto-accept" would be difficult to implement, maybe it would be easier for the system to automatically remove the price from an item if the person rejects any offer exactly equal to listing price? That would make it more work for the price-fixer to keep up with, which would likely reduce the number of people doing it.

2) If I was to dream, we'd get a "seller rating", which would show you two stats: The average response time, and how often the person rejects offers of their asking price.

That would actually solve most of the problems all in one.

The price fixers wouldn't be able to scam people, because their ratings would suck, and people would know to ignore them when checking prices.
My main issue with it is time wasted.

-Grab random currency because you have no idea what things are selling for

-Painfully search (both mentally and physically search for the item you are looking for)

Let's face it, even with the filter items, it is still painful to type all of that out with a controller.

-Find item...maybe...and HOPE you put the right currency in your inventory
(If not, close out of trade, grab said currency and start your search ALL OVER AGAIN)

-Re-find your item and it will now most likely be on the last page of the trade search...but you gotta search them all...again.

Now - send your offer that MATCHES the "buyout", (what's the definition of "buyout" again??) wait...wait some more...run some maps, eat, watch tv, log out, come back the next day

Only to have your offer DECLINED even if the buyout matches.

Repeat process.

NONE of that is any fun and ALL of that is annoying, by design?
Last edited by Sumosan13 on Sep 24, 2019, 12:04:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info