[3.7] Essence Drain/Contagion Trickster (the best one)

I was following other guide while using shield and wand, but since I got the crafted bow, I want to try this one. My tree is a bit different since I took some -%mana reserved nodes to use 3 auras. Before switching to your tree/skill set, I'd like to know if I can keep the 3 auras setup and do not pick MoM. How would my survivability be without MoM?
"
rlauren2 wrote:
"
frostzor27 wrote:

I would take both the spell damage nodes. 80% damage for 3 points is hard to beat.

If you're really feeling adventurous, you could try wearing Cloak of Defiance instead of Perfect Form. It has nice synergy being an evasion/energy shield armor. You've also spec'd Acro and Phase Acro already, so Perfect Form is a bit wasted. That way you have Malevolence in an Essence Worm and your 100% unreserved mana could be put to work. Malevolence with 50% effectiveness boost, 160% spell damage from 5 points, and 100% unreserved mana with MoM sounds pretty juicy actually. I like it in theory, but no idea how it would feel in practice.

If you don't go the Cloak of Defiance route, spec'ing Supreme Ego is a bit of a tossup. You lose Flesh and Stone in exchange for more damage from Malevolence. If you feel tanky enough to do it, awesome. You likely don't need to put it in an Essence Worm though. Without MoM, running around with only 25% mana unreserved isn't much of a problem. I think Arctic Armor counts as a spell, not an aura, so you'd still be able to use that too. I believe it would reserve 12.5% of your mana since Supreme Ego and Perfect Form would combine effects.

Took your advice and went with the Cloak of Defiance and also spec'd the second 80% spell node. So far so good no survivability issues. Will keep you updated as I get to shaper and what not.
"
allukaz wrote:
I was following other guide while using shield and wand, but since I got the crafted bow, I want to try this one. My tree is a bit different since I took some -%mana reserved nodes to use 3 auras. Before switching to your tree/skill set, I'd like to know if I can keep the 3 auras setup and do not pick MoM. How would my survivability be without MoM?

That's not really that different, and nothing wrong with adapting it for your desired setup. I use the same -mana reserved nodes you did so I can run a third aura (4 total since I get one free) as well.

By the way, using Discipline is giving you 349 ES. In one more level if you dropped Discipline you could pick up the Devotion node for 318 HP and free up two gem slots. This will continue to get better in favor of health as you level up more. I don't think Discipline is really worth it as long as you're using Acrobatics. If you got The Perfect Form and dropped Acro/Phase Acro you'd gain 8 points to spend elsewhere, a free Arctic Armour aura, and your discipline would go from giving you 349 ES to 820 ES.

I'm confused about your MoM part, MoM makes it even harder on your mana, not easier, so removing it shouldn't really affect what you want to do aura wise? I can't imagine it really affecting your survivability, your mana is so low anyway and you're not using Eldritch Battery. I guess it'd remove a tiny bit of EHP, but seems like you'd easily make that up in being better able to use your abilities without running out of mana. You play softcore, just turn it off and try it out for a few maps to see how it feels for you.
Last edited by matt__ on Aug 15, 2019, 12:09:25 AM
"

Took your advice and went with the Cloak of Defiance and also spec'd the second 80% spell node. So far so good no survivability issues. Will keep you updated as I get to shaper and what not.

You could save a point if you changed your route to Acrobatics.

Does swift affliction do anything at all for despair?
Last edited by matt__ on Aug 14, 2019, 11:59:42 PM
Can anyone explain why these 2 jewels are giving the results shown? On paper, the 2nd jewel should boost my ED DoT the most, I think, yet the 1st one is giving a better value...

Jewel 1
-------
+12% spell damage
ED DoT = 135,784

Jewel 2
-------
+9% damage
+11% Area damage
ED DoT = 135,285

Many thanks!
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.
Last edited by GhostlightX on Aug 15, 2019, 2:48:25 PM
"
Did I hit the jackpot with my timeless jewel? There are two nodes that offer 80% increased spell damage. I already took one of them, should I try to build up to the second one? there is also two supreme egos, do they stack? what to do tree wise from here on out?

Wow! That's a nice one...

Are the timeless jewels bonus random? I got some chitus ones but can't get the same bonus as you...
"There's no thing like random one-shots in this game. You only die because you take 353,456,237 hits in 0.2 seconds."

"The best items in the game should not be crafted, they should be TRADED." - Cent, GGG
"
frostzor27 wrote:

Are the timeless jewels bonus random? I got some chitus ones but can't get the same bonus as you...

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Timeless_Jewel#Mechanics
"Each Timeless Jewel alters passive nodes within its radius based on its seed. The number on the mod is the seed that determines what the minor and notable passives will transform into, while the name determines which passive a Keystone in radius will transform in to."

"
GhostlightX wrote:
Can anyone explain why these 2 jewels are giving the results shown? On paper, the 2nd jewel should boost my ED DoT the most, I think, yet the 1st one is giving a better value...

Jewel 1
-------
+12% spell damage
ED DoT = 135,784

Jewel 2
-------
+9% damage
+11% Area damage
ED DoT = 135,285

Many thanks!

Area damage doesn't affect ED
For equal values: non-ailment chaos damage > spell damage = chaos damage = damage over time
Last edited by matt__ on Aug 15, 2019, 5:41:36 PM
Somehow I got my 160% spell damage increase... I just had to sacrifice 800 life :(
"There's no thing like random one-shots in this game. You only die because you take 353,456,237 hits in 0.2 seconds."

"The best items in the game should not be crafted, they should be TRADED." - Cent, GGG
"
frostzor27 wrote:
Somehow I got my 160% spell damage increase... I just had to sacrifice 800 life :(

https://pastebin.com/Qa4HK4Qv

This is for 1 level from now. Trades 467 ES (one level from now, even less right now) for 609 HP and -1% dodge without flasks. Same damage, same AoE radius. Until you hit 96, and get that last ES node on your current path, this is even more in favor of this tree.

Mostly just removes your ES nodes for Life ones since you don't have much ES on your gear. Also drops Dreamer since you have plenty of mana.

Also you can easily drop one or both of the AoE nodes and/or one or both of the Chaos Damage nodes to pick up a 6%, 5%, and two 4% lifes if desired. Doing all 4 would lose 2 AoE radius (don't think it matters much for ED/Contaigon, it's not Vaal Ice Nova. I would definitely favor the 6/5% nodes over 2 AoE radius) and 2% damage (2% damage for 2x 4% life + evasion or 3% life 5% ES is a bit more of a tossup, but your damage is so high already and your life is way lower, personally I'd take the life) for an additional +367 HP and getting back that 1% dodge (or a bit less HP and more ES).
Last edited by matt__ on Aug 16, 2019, 1:01:52 AM
"
matt__ wrote:
"
frostzor27 wrote:

https://pastebin.com/Qa4HK4Qv

This is for 1 level from now. Trades 467 ES (one level from now, even less right now) for 609 HP and -1% dodge without flasks. Same damage, same AoE radius. Until you hit 96, and get that last ES node on your current path, this is even more in favor of this tree.

Mostly just removes your ES nodes for Life ones since you don't have much ES on your gear. Also drops Dreamer since you have plenty of mana.

Also you can easily drop one or both of the AoE nodes and/or one or both of the Chaos Damage nodes to pick up a 6%, 5%, and two 4% lifes if desired. Doing all 4 would lose 2 AoE radius (don't think it matters much for ED/Contaigon, it's not Vaal Ice Nova. I would definitely favor the 6/5% nodes over 2 AoE radius) and 2% damage (2% damage for 2x 4% life + evasion or 3% life 5% ES is a bit more of a tossup, but your damage is so high already and your life is way lower, personally I'd take the life) for an additional +367 HP and getting back that 1% dodge (or a bit less HP and more ES).

Thanks a lot! Your advice was awesome.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info