(PS4) Consider removing the xp penalty until the game is stable.

Thoughts?
Last bumped on Jun 4, 2019, 8:45:59 AM
agreed, see my thread on poor console performance.

the game is unplayble in late/endgame in this state and progressing is purely a matter of luck and not getting randomly killed by lag or frame drops.
cant disagree more, if your playing on a PS4 (og or slim) your going to have performance issues on high end maps (and flashack league) but should have no issues on anything in main league or standard all on a PS4Pro

The issue is that future mid-league events like the flashback need to be tested on consoles. Then consider having the console event modified from PC if the performance of consoles cant handle the effects of what they toss at you like the current Flashback.

Personally I had no issues in syntheses all the way up to shaper on an OG model PS4 (was just waiting on a little more gear before going in when switched to flashback). Flashback, once I hit maps and saw overlap on screen of harbringers, panderus chests, and beyond bosses all sorts of issues. Upgraded to a PS4pro and this all went away till highly modded red-maps with large packs and 2 of those graphically intensive packs added, which I simply learned how to play cautiously in these situations. I played my main synthesis character for a few highly rolled red-maps the other day and it was very smooth, so I dont expect to see issues as soon as flashback ends.
"
KogaDrake wrote:
cant disagree more, if your playing on a PS4 (og or slim) your going to have performance issues on high end maps (and flashack league) but should have no issues on anything in main league or standard all on a PS4Pro

The issue is that future mid-league events like the flashback need to be tested on consoles. Then consider having the console event modified from PC if the performance of consoles cant handle the effects of what they toss at you like the current Flashback.

Personally I had no issues in syntheses all the way up to shaper on an OG model PS4 (was just waiting on a little more gear before going in when switched to flashback). Flashback, once I hit maps and saw overlap on screen of harbringers, panderus chests, and beyond bosses all sorts of issues. Upgraded to a PS4pro and this all went away till highly modded red-maps with large packs and 2 of those graphically intensive packs added, which I simply learned how to play cautiously in these situations. I played my main synthesis character for a few highly rolled red-maps the other day and it was very smooth, so I dont expect to see issues as soon as flashback ends.

Then you are playing your maps rolled for crap. On ps4pro a 40 percent double beyond drops me to 1 frame per 10 secs. In a group even moderate amounts of mobs lag real bad. Even if you avoid the lag then you die to rubberbanding into bloodlines or crashing in a pack of mobs. Not really much of an issue till 96 since xp gains decent at 98 however it's almost impossible to avoid the broken game for long enough to progress. And "All the way to shaper" isn't the endgame they talking about. Had little issues till well after uber elder killed a dozen times.
"
gaeandilth wrote:
Then you are playing your maps rolled for crap. On ps4pro a 40 percent double beyond drops me to 1 frame per 10 secs. In a group even moderate amounts of mobs lag real bad. Even if you avoid the lag then you die to rubberbanding into bloodlines or crashing in a pack of mobs. Not really much of an issue till 96 since xp gains decent at 98 however it's almost impossible to avoid the broken game for long enough to progress. And "All the way to shaper" isn't the endgame they talking about. Had little issues till well after uber elder killed a dozen times.

First off having gone to shaper means I have progressed through all red-tier maps, and done all but shaper and uber, two fights that are not graphically intensive and do not have the issues of the high tier maps so I have experienced all the content they are complaining about.

Beyond bosses are the only thing outside of T15/T16 bosses (easy to skip if goal is leveling) that have a reasonable chance to kill me (unless I'm being stupid and not paying attention) so I'm smart enough to avoid beyond. In flashback I will never run a map with beyond on it if possible, and if I run it I always check mods first to avoid 26% beyond because its not worth the risk, running them with that setup is just asking for death. And when I do run them I try not to have harbrings and/or parandus active at the same time as the overlap of them is more likely to have frame issues and lead to death.

I know my build, and my PS4pro limitations, so I know what mods will be bad to run (be it build limitation or PS4 limitation) and I use my currency to avoid them. Does it suck to scoure/alch or chaos spam a map 10-15 times sometimes? Absolutely, but its was better than running a map that has a high chance of dieing (losing many maps of progress) due to flashback added mechanics or map mods that are risky when my only goal is leveling to keep my goal on the race league.

None of these issues are present when I play on Synthesis (chisel, roll for high mods, sextants, and fragments to maximize everything), which makes me think none of it will be an issue on legion/standard when flashback is over. What I learned from Flashback is that future events with issues on console will be skipped, quick level to whatever goal I have for chance at reward raffles and back to standard/league.
Last edited by KogaDrake on May 29, 2019, 12:21:45 PM
In Synthesis League, the performance issues that have killed me most often are opening a breach, seeing heavy concentrations of lightning effects, followed by a crash, and me logging back in to exp loss.

Second is Flame Dashing away from some hazrard, then rubber banding right back where I started from and dying.

Playing on PS4 Pro.
see my performance thread, the trick isa to force the ps4 into 1080p mode if you are using a 4k display
I do not think it is feasible to disable the Death Penalty on a single platform. Granted, it sounds like PS may be in the worst position regarding lag, etc at the moment, but complaints about performance can be found on all platforms and lots of Players think that the Death Penalty is over tuned (me included).

For better or worse, the Death Penalty is a feature of POE to the extent that the game without it would not be POE. It does however affect some Players way more than it does others.
Formerly posted under AnExile_onthePath
"
walkjohn55 wrote:
I do not think it is feasible to disable the Death Penalty on a single platform. Granted, it sounds like PS may be in the worst position regarding lag, etc at the moment, but complaints about performance can be found on all platforms and lots of Players think that the Death Penalty is over tuned (me included).

For better or worse, the Death Penalty is a feature of POE to the extent that the game without it would not be POE. It does however affect some Players way more than it does others.

The new incubation mechanic seems like a likely route to eventually remove the XP penalty - sooner or later that mechanic is bound to be upgraded be a more risk/reward, because there's already a bit of a sense that it's just a delayed drop.

I can foresee the killcounts required to hatch eggs will be increased drastically. If you die, the items you're incubating are lost. That means you could be decked-out with 10 valuable eggs, and all it would take is one death and you lose them all.

Considering the value of those items, and the amount of effort it would take to fully incubate them, that *could* be a potentially harsher punishment than XP loss, offset by the fact that you could switch-out your gear if you know you're about to do risky content. But if you never have your incubation gear equipped your eggs would never hatch - so you'd pretty much have to take the risk if you're trying to hatch high-level eggs.

I can't see the XP-loss going away completely, but if a lot of the penalty is transferred to eggs the amount of XP you'd lose could be reduced.
"
UnclePobatti wrote:

The new incubation mechanic seems like a likely route to eventually remove the XP penalty - sooner or later that mechanic is bound to be upgraded be a more risk/reward, because there's already a bit of a sense that it's just a delayed drop.

I can foresee the killcounts required to hatch eggs will be increased drastically. If you die, the items you're incubating are lost. That means you could be decked-out with 10 valuable eggs, and all it would take is one death and you lose them all.

Considering the value of those items, and the amount of effort it would take to fully incubate them, that *could* be a potentially harsher punishment than XP loss, offset by the fact that you could switch-out your gear if you know you're about to do risky content. But if you never have your incubation gear equipped your eggs would never hatch - so you'd pretty much have to take the risk if you're trying to hatch high-level eggs.

I can't see the XP-loss going away completely, but if a lot of the penalty is transferred to eggs the amount of XP you'd lose could be reduced.

I have not yet read up on the new stuff, but I would, at least from a theory perspective, welcome a shift in whom the SC Death Penalty seems to affect the most (besides the Race to 100 enthusiasts). Currently I feel it is basically a "regressive tax" on those who take longer to level (I get the impression that many of the better Players get their levelling done in a matter of hours and then the loss of a Portal is the real Death Penalty, more so for larger groups). If the new mechanic changes how the risk applies across the talent spectrum (more to be gained = more to be lost), then I will be for it - but of course GGG will almost certainly have it over-tuned at the start .
Formerly posted under AnExile_onthePath

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info