Anyone ever seen "free solo"

They're obsessive about it, in the best sense of the word, and it shows.

Adam Ondra, might have a look, ta.

this kid is a hero! how very astounding it is that people can accomplish things like this. its beyond inspirational really. rip in peace to all the dead climbers =( mountains op
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░
How do you get into climbing? I'd like to try and overcome my fears and some adventure to get outside the box.

Not "free solo" or anything (I'n not crazy also have young kids) but just to try with ropes.

PS I'm not living in van at Yosemite like this guy.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 15, 2019, 2:18:48 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
How do you get into climbing? I'd like to try and overcome my fears and some adventure to get outside the box.

Not "free solo" or anything (I'n not crazy also have young kids) but just to try with ropes.

Just head over to a local gym with indoor climbing wall. You'd have to google it though, cause I don't know where you live. They usually have a smaller wall for kids, too.

(⌐■_■)
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Go to your local forest, park, etc... find a rock and try to climb it. That's what I did. The nearest hike/bike trail follows a river and there are places where there are exposed rock faces. Nothing big, maybe 20 feet at the highest, but there are plenty of holds and are really fun to climb. A few times a week I go out on the mountain bike and when I come to this spot, I spend an hour or so messing around on the rocks. I'm no Magnus Midtbo(check his youtube), but my climbing and grip strength have progressed and improved over the last couple of years. I've not looked into local climbing walls as I have no drive to progress further. I prefer bikes, kayaks and with making a couple of trips every year down to the New River Gorge, my adrenaline craving stays sated.

And as for Alex Honnold, he's a beast.

Last edited by knolly on May 15, 2019, 5:06:42 PM
Meh I wish Darwin would just make an example of this fool in the hopes of saving others.

He spits in the faces of most climbers who put safety and enjoyment of the environment above all else.

The careless risk taking (I dont care how much preparation is involved) isnt something to be celebrated imo.

I did watch this. And it was so cringey. Most everyone just felt relief that he lived. Yeah HOW AMAZING, my friend didnt die in front of me.

This is stupid by every measure. No one even really knew "why", other than it was a challenge or some bullshit.

Again it just gives climbing a bad name, this really isnt what climbing is about. Abandoning all safety measure and taking ridiculous risks doesnt (or at least shoudnt) make you a celebrated climber.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
It's quite possibly the greatest athletic achievement in human history. Pretty cool stuff.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info