Anyone ever seen "free solo"

This movie is the best horror, inspirational, and documentary of all time. My palms were sweating and emotional roller coaster throughout.

This dude, Alex Honnold (best climber ever), with no fear whatsoever literally scales a 4000 foot vetical "el capitan" at Yosemite- first ever among other first evers he's done - no ropes like all his climbs so a fall is certain death

Real life SPIDER MAN.

Must see

https://brooklynboulders.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/alex-honnold.jpg

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 26, 2019, 3:01:04 AM
Last bumped on May 16, 2019, 4:11:26 PM
To answer your question -

Yup. The interview there's worth a look.

Not a nut on the subject, but it is compelling to delve into now and again. Found a couple of nice clips just now -

Catherine Destivelle
ha, starts off indoors and pissy compared to Honnold but keep watching

There's something about the reassuring seeming presence of a rope, for sure. Mostly they work as intended.

Ueli Steck New Speed Record Eiger 2015
short and sweet

Love how he said it's not a competition after beating the other guy's record. He meant it, too. He's dead now, died in the Himalayas, climbing. Mountaineers over ~8000m take higher risks, and it is more dangerous, due to the extreme conditions - weather, altitude, terrain - yet it certainly doesn't look that way compared to what Honnold does, and really why compare at all.

He's incredible.

Tidy, as well. Neat, like a cat.

Extreme high altitude Alpinists make an awful mess, trash mounds of stuff that can't be carried out, including the mummies. Not sure people really should go up there, those places could be sacred.

Wouldn't mind watching the climbers on the Eiger one day, while sitting all rugged up with cocoa and a 'scope. Apparently sometimes one falls. Would not wish to see that, but knowing it could ...

Honnold has appeared in OT in another thread too, predating the one first recalled:

This is serious hard core

Isn't it just?

Planning on giving it a whirl?

Last edited by erdelyii on Apr 26, 2019, 5:16:45 AM
I'll give it a look, but i'm extremely height intolerant, i started sweating looking only at those pictures. But it looks extremely interesting.
Spreading salt since 2006
I used to be a part of a community surrounding those types of activities, I was so into it and loved every minute of it. I met in person a lot of free solo or alpine legends.
They are all dead now.

I still have a picture with Ueli Steck and his autograph above my desk. When he died I decided I'm done with this shit. I don't ever intend to partake in mountaineering festivals because 90% of my heroes I've met there died since then. I've met Dean Potter, and then he was gone. I've met John Bachar, an absolute grandfather of free soloing - dead a year later.

These days when I go to the mountains I take zero risks, if a flake of snow looks at me funny I go back. It's a minor miracle that I have never been taken by an avalanche. And yet, a few days we lost David Lama and fucking Hansjorg Auer to an avalanche (sorry, I don't know the third guy).

Honnold is much, much smarter and calculated than Dan Osman (obviously dead) but so was John Bachar who died doing his "easy" backyard training route which he did hundreds of times. I believe Honnold will die as well if he doesn't stop at the height of his career. I know he is slowly pivoting to other ventures but I also know that a new crazy idea is brewing in his mind and gods only know what that is.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
That was a sobering post, John G.

Had no idea you were involved with the scene, and Ueli Steck was an aquaintance and an idol. Shit, that's something else.

Not sorry for what I posted; think yours throws it into perspective and makes it real in a way my armchair vantage point cannot possibly know. The climbing is one thing, up there in the mountains, pure and focused. It's beautiful. The living lives around those climbs, with people impacted by what is essentially a selfish pursuit, yeah, that's something else entirely.

They keep on climbing, all the same. I don't begrudge it. Yet, cannot imagine having a partner that did that shit, or a kid. Taking those risks, for some unfathomable draw. Clearly it's there all the same, and so beguiling, compelling.

Maybe it makes sense to quit with good odds, when you've pushed it enough. When that is, well, that's the rub.

I am sorry you've been so impacted by so much dying, in a field you loved and likely miss, but are sane to be out of.

Last edited by erdelyii on Apr 26, 2019, 10:14:12 AM
"
erdelyii wrote:
To answer your question -

Yup. The interview there's worth a look.

Not a nut on the subject, but it is compelling to delve into now and again. Found a couple of nice clips just now -

Catherine Destivelle
ha, starts off indoors and pissy compared to Honnold but keep watching

There's something about the reassuring seeming presence of a rope, for sure. Mostly they work as intended.

Ueli Steck New Speed Record Eiger 2015
short and sweet

Love how he said it's not a competition after beating the other guy's record. He meant it, too. He's dead now, died in the Himalayas, climbing. Mountaineers over ~8000m take higher risks, and it is more dangerous, due to the extreme conditions - weather, altitude, terrain - yet it certainly doesn't look that way compared to what Honnold does, and really why compare at all.

He's incredible.

Tidy, as well. Neat, like a cat.

Extreme high altitude Alpinists make an awful mess, trash mounds of stuff that can't be carried out, including the mummies. Not sure people really should go up there, those places could be sacred.

Wouldn't mind watching the climbers on the Eiger one day, while sitting all rugged up with cocoa and a 'scope. Apparently sometimes one falls. Would not wish to see that, but knowing it could ...

Honnold has appeared in OT in another thread too, predating the one first recalled:

This is serious hard core

Isn't it just?

Planning on giving it a whirl?

Facinating stuff.

@necro

ya i am scared of heights too (i'm a runner and don't like hills even:P) I guess that's why I got so much out of the movie and was white knuckling throughout.
Git R Dun!
"
erdelyii wrote:

I am sorry you've been so impacted by so much dying, in a field you loved and likely miss, but are sane to be out of.

Well to clarify, I've just met these people on person, exchanged a few words etc, not like we were friends or anything. I never did any free soloing, I was one of those dudes with heavy backpacks scaling up a mountain waist deep in snow.

My instagram shows better what I did:

https://www.instagram.com/johnrailowsky/

About 15 years ago I had plans to become a serious mountaineer with high hopes of climbing easy but challenging himalayan peaks like Cho Oyu and sometimes when I was really drunk I kept thinking about K2. I even had a possibility of privately reach one of top tier climbers of Himalayas because of some connections, there was a real possibility for me of going somewhere which I considered enough to start wondering how to raise money for it. And then he died and that was that.

So these days I say fuck these activities, not for me. I just go there for the pictures, not peaks or routes. Godspeed to all brave people who follow that dream, they have my full support even though most of them will be dead soon.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
"

there was a real possibility for me of going somewhere which I considered enough to start wondering how to raise money for it. And then he died and that was that.

Everything I type reaction-wise sounds dumb, and there isn't an emote for a wry laugh and a what the fuck yeah nod, not with the gallows humour to it.

You shared "Winter is Coming" on another thread, a while back. The way the clouds are draping in is memorable. See you've started a thread about photography too, with your shots in, which is cool.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Facinating stuff.
@necro

ya i am scared of heights too (i'm a runner and don't like hills even:P) I guess that's why I got so much out of the movie and was white knuckling throughout.

It's even more pronounced standing on heights as if there are thin clouds slipping by above it makes everything seem to tilt/ move. That's just from lookouts, ridges, ha. Those kind of dizzying levels, they are steady, steady, focused people, which is a large chunk of the admiration I have for them.
Last edited by erdelyii on Apr 26, 2019, 8:02:52 PM
"
erdelyii wrote:
"

there was a real possibility for me of going somewhere which I considered enough to start wondering how to raise money for it. And then he died and that was that.

Everything I type reaction-wise sounds dumb, and there isn't an emote for a wry laugh and a what the fuck yeah nod, not with the gallows humour to it.

You shared "Winter is Coming" on another thread, a while back. The way the clouds are draping in is memorable. See you've started a thread about photography too, with your shots in, which is cool.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Facinating stuff.
@necro

It's even more pronounced standing on heights as if there are thin clouds slipping by above it makes everything seem to tilt/ move. That's just from lookouts, ridges, ha. Those kind of dizzying levels, they are steady, steady, focused people, which is a large chunk of the admiration I have for them.

Absoluty. Honestly I consider these dudes best athletes in the world in you take everything in consideration. Like mind, will, patience - then all the grip strength balance and stamina. Then free solo guys have balls size of bowling balls.

Oh and I've been following some of the branching at youtube off videos you posted earlier and this kid from Adam Ondra Czechoslovakia is insane too. He's like a prodigy climber since both parents were and started at like 5 and climbs upside down shit.

[/img]
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 27, 2019, 12:56:00 AM
Most people frame it as him having yuge balls but it's all in the preparation. He prepared himself for the climb so perfectly that he could almost automatically climb the thing without thinking too much. And I find that way more impressive than just "having balls" since you need a lot of patience and determination to pull something like that off. Dude is a legend.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info