Do you have a favorite memorable/inspirational quote you'd like to share?

A man's friendships are one of the best measures of his worth.
— Charles Darwin
A response to a previous post
"
IIPheXII wrote:
"It's lonely at the top but the journey is the reward".
I'm going to use this as a teaching moment for my sons; it's a great example of a disgusting bromide disguised as wisdom.

Experience as a reward is literally childish. A focus on the internal world of consciousness over the material world that exists outside it — a focus on trying, rather than doing — these are valid purauits in the context of preparing to be an adult, but like any preparations are meaningless without successful execution. The journey is not its own reward, it is a means to an end.

The closest thing to an actual afterlife that exists is the material world outside our consciousnesses that we interact with daily. Contrary to popular wisdom, money IS something that follows you into the "afterlife" after your death — what doesn't is all your personal thoughts and feelings, unless they've been passed on to another consciousness that will outlive you. A happiness unshared is a happiness that perishes with you. It is not lonely at the top — the true top is a place of family and friendship, where you can give all your best without the worry you're casting pearls before swine. I'm not sure how well the Darwin quote applies to young men, but as far as funerals go it's spot on.

This type of focus on a happiness that needs no one else and lives entirely one's mortal memories is a cancer upon civilization. It's a recipe for people who squander the gift of life and leave behind nothing of value for those who come after.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 14, 2019, 2:18:09 AM

...Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking...

J.C. Watts
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Apr 14, 2019, 3:22:47 AM
"You have to do difficult things to grow."
Shoji Nishio Shihan at the Danish Aikikai's annual Easter Camp 1999 in Copenhagen.
"
Crunch wrote:
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
"The device is believed to have been dropped."

Many, many years ago a spambot on this forum posted random words with some links, one of the posts contained this sentence which I love to this day. I even wrote a short story around it but gods know where did I save it.

If you google "The device is believed to have been dropped" I am the third result because I've had it in my signature here for so long.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info