Point Blank

Freezing Pulse + Point Blank -> it's basically a melee skill now.
What red/blue/green skill gems quality as ranged attacks for the purpose of Point Blank Mark?
"It feels like holding my breath under water constantly." Me about the limited "life expectancy" of the inventory space on Path of Exile and frequent needs to go to town to unload.
"
Interesting wrote:
What red/blue/green skill gems quality as ranged attacks for the purpose of Point Blank Mark?
It's not dependent on what gem it is, it's dependent on what weapon you're using. a ranged attack is an attack made with a ranged weapon (bow or wand).

Frenzy with bow or wand is ranged, frenzy with claw or staff is not.
Can you think of any red skill gem that can be used with bow or wand that will benefit from point blank? :D
"It feels like holding my breath under water constantly." Me about the limited "life expectancy" of the inventory space on Path of Exile and frequent needs to go to town to unload.
There are none at all. Every skill limits the weapons to melee weapons or specific melee weapons. Lightning Strike is a melee attack in its entirety as well.
"
Xaxyx wrote:
Could a dev please clarify the precise effect of this gem (and the corresponding Passive Skill)?

- What exactly qualifies as a "very close target"? Melee range?

- At what distance does the damage dropoff begin?

- What is the rate of damage dropoff?

- Is the damage dropoff from the 150% modified damage on down, or is there a threshold where the +50% damage ceases to apply *and* damage starts to drop off?

- Is there a minimum damage threshold? I.e., does damage fall to -50%, -75%, -100%?

- Is the gem cumulative with the Passive?

Etc. It's extremely difficult to calibrate the efficacy of this modifier without knowing its actual effects.

I know I'm a few months late replying to this, but I do have an answer for you. I created a thread about the Point Blank Archer Keystone a while back and Mark gave me the specifics in this thread. I would assume that the specifics for this support gem are the same as the Keystone. Here's Mark's response from that thread:

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Damage bonus/penalty is as follows:
Distance 0 to 10: 50%
Distance 10 to 35: scales linearly from 50% down to 0%
Distance 35 to 120: scales linearly from 0% down to -100%

For reference, The greatest melee weapon range is 5, cold snap has a base range of 15, and 120 is the maximum distance it's possible to shoot an arrow (it's impossible to reach this usually except sometimes when firing at the upper corners of the screen).

Yes, rain of arrows isn't currently working with this keystone correctly, that should be fixed soon.
"
Umbraal wrote:
Freezing Pulse + Point Blank -> it's basically a melee skill now.

This doesn't seem to work for Freezing Pulse.

Attacks are not spells I guess.
Last edited by ionface on Jul 10, 2012, 10:52:15 AM
That was in the hypothetical of if it could attack spells, mine just ended up on the top of the next page.
Given Point Blank is now a keystone that is a lot more easily reached than pre 0.9.11, this is a very helpful thread.

I don't suppose anyone has MS Paint skills that could sort of draw a series of approximate concentric rings/ovals around a character screenshot showing where, approximately the +50, 0% and -50% distances are - I'm struggling to conceptually get a grip without the visual...!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jul 26, 2012, 10:25:15 AM
How would this effect the skill Lightning Strike given it is melee and projectile at the same time.
"If they actually showed gameplay with it zoomed out and then zoomed it in for the real one I think there would be actual riots in the street. I think that people would burn the building down."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info