Why do people get vaccines? Don't they research the ingredients?

"
xMustard wrote:

explain how me not vaccinating my child is seriously dangerous for yours.

http://archive.is/6botp

Your child become a potential vector for giving the disease to others. If enough people have the disease, it increases the chance that the disease can mutate to a new form that vaccines don't work against. The less disease carriers, the less mutation.

There are also lots of people who can't get vaccinated due to allergies to ingredients, or a system so compromised that even the slight reaction to vaccines is dangerous.

There are vaccines where the shots take several series (5 for whooping cough for instance) over a period of years to be effective. Your older unvaccinated child might survive whooping cough, but give the disease to a young infant or elderly person and kill them. Once done, the whooping cough vaccine is effective for 4-10 years, and lots of people unintentionally let their vaccines go out of date as an adult.

Parts of the U.S. are experiencing a resurgence of diseases such as measles and whooping cough, that were once almost eliminated. This is due to increasing numbers of people that aren't vaccinated.

"
xMustard wrote:

you shouldn't have the freedom to say no. lol holy fuck.
people talk as though vaccines are the only medical thing that exists in the world and if you don't do it then everyone will die from all diseases that exist. its pretty ridiculous.

Vaccines are preventive medicine that affects a whole community. They are among the most effective medical tools we have and save thousands of lives.

Malaria is a great example -"According to the W.H.O.’s latest annual assessment, there were an estimated 220 million cases of malaria last year, and about 435,000 deaths from the disease. Of the dead, 262,000 were children under age 5."

If there were a malaria vaccine, and it was universally given we would probably be talking about a few dozen cases of death from malaria.

The flu kills thousands every year. Unfortunately, there are a lot of varieties of the flu, and the vaccine covers 3- 4 of them. If they pick the right ones, it is very effective. If they 4 they pick aren't the dominant flus going around that year, then they aren't effective.

Last year was a big miss for the flu vaccine.

Not getting vaccinated is like having unprotected sex with every person you get within 3 feet of. You are going to catch and spread preventable diseases.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Nov 19, 2018, 9:36:02 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
The flu kills thousands every year. Unfortunately, there are a lot of varieties of the flu, and the vaccine covers 3- 4 of them. If they pick the right ones, it is very effective. If they 4 they pick aren't the dominant flus going around that year, then they aren't effective.

Last year was a big miss for the flu vaccine.

That's only part of the problem with the flu. The other part being how prone to mutating it is. It's one of the most rapidly mutating types of viruses known to mankind. In case of a large-ish outbreak (no, this is NOT a world-threatening scenario, those kind of outbreaks happen rather frequently), the virus could easily have gone through multiple mutations, rendering some or even most of the vaccines that previously worked useless FOR THIS SPECIFIC VARIANT (I somehow felt the need to specifically point out that detail).

Yeah, the flu has a TON of different types. The bigger problem is that there are more if those created almost every day. It's impossible to get all of them. Flu vaccines are pretty much the only ones I don't get (anymore. As a small child I did get them). Whenever I caught the flu, pretty much everyonw I know had it before it hit me, and most of those guys did have the flu vaccine.

It's the only one I don't consider useful to get AS A PERFECTLY HEALTHY ADULT (provided they don't act like idiots if they actually get it and spread it everywhere). For children, old people or anyone with immune deficiencies, sure, that's something different entirely. Those are people who can in comparison get rather easily into life threatening situations when getting the flu.

I'm all for vaccines, but I don't think your average perfectly healthy addult with a nicely working immune system NEEDS a FLU vaccine.

PS: If anyone here still manages to quote something from this that makes me sound like I'm against vaccines in general then I'll be equal parts impressed and pissed off... or more like pretty impressed and four times as pissed off.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:
I'm against vaccines in general

Spoiler
With friends like me, who needs enemas?

You little son of a...
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Lots of good points made on this thread. I do find it weird that everytime I got a flu shot I ended up getting a different strain of the flu and I ended up getting pretty damn sick. Yet when I didn't get a flue shot, I didn't get the flue at all, weird............
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Yeah, it's weird. I pay for insurance but have never crashed my car. Maybe I should stop paying for insurance...

I don't think that analogy is the same. If you research it you can see that many vaccines have actually caused a person to get the condition they were trying to prevent in the first place.... That happens with animal vaccines all the time.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Fun fact:

if you google 'Do Vaccines Work?', your very first hit is 'Vaccines work'.

LOL.

Luckily I'm not one to believe everything people tell me lol
They may work with some illnesses/conditions, but NOT ALL.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
And all those polio people running around, wait, rolling around, silly me. And smallpox everywhere. My god, what were we thinking!

"
鬼殺し wrote:

"The world is flat!"
"What? Really? But...what?"
"Sure, the government has been lying to you!"
"...well, no one trusts politicians, really, huh, you might have a point..."

And so begins the process of indoctrination.

That's you, Mentoya. Right there. You might not be a full-blown anti-vaxxer yet but you're using your own, extremely limited experience to somehow overshadow decades of science and evidence. This is neither intelligent nor rational.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I have precisely zero patience for anti-vaxxers. If that includes you, do us both a favour and go be a dangerous nutjob in someone else's face.

I'm not saying that ALL vaccines don't work, but some don't. Like I said, I've only had 3 flu shots my entire life and all 3 years I got the shot, I got the flu. I stopped getting flu shots years ago, and what do you, like magic, no flu since then!!! Imagine that lol....

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Necromael wrote:
@鬼殺し

did you try immunoglobulin shots?

source with more info: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/210367-overview

I got it when I was around 17 years old, was ill almost every week, be it flu, cold or anything, I had it all , all the time whole childhood.

After getting those shots my state improved that I get a cold about once a year maybe. I don't guarantee causality, maybe just my body reached a point where it matured beyond how it was, maybe shots helped, maybe both, but if its that bad with your immune system its worth a shot.

worth a shot? Seriously?

And, all love and respect, but please don't. I have three health care professionals, bordering on five depending on how things go.

Yeah, that was just an example from my life, I'm no doctor, sorry, i know nothing of your condition, but don't want anyone passing through what i passed in terms of illnesses. Hope its manageable with support you get from your doctors.

On topic now.

Some people who never passed through so many illnesses can talk "easy" about vaccine and medication. But it saves lives. If we can't feel/see direct effects it doesn't mean it doesn't work. It only means majority of humanity has become complacent after not experiencing plague level types of diseases for decades. Like others have mentioned, we only need to check what horrible diseases have been exterminated by humanity thanks to that. If statistical anomalies with no proof of causality are the price? I guess that is the best price we can afford at our current stage of medicinal technology.

Best example would be swine/bird flu that was present around 2000s if my memory serves me well. There was outbreak of panic and guess what. All reserves of all vaccines sold out within a breath, there was such panic that everyone wanted to get a shot to be safe regardless of how they were informed.

I believe most of those who are anti vaccines would be first in line to get a shot if there was a world level disaster outbreak of some kind of a disease.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on Nov 20, 2018, 3:13:10 AM
"
Mentoya wrote:

I'm not saying that ALL vaccines don't work, but some don't. Like I said, I've only had 3 flu shots my entire life and all 3 years I got the shot, I got the flu. I stopped getting flu shots years ago, and what do you, like magic, no flu since then!!! Imagine that lol....

From an unprofessional and limited knowledge I have on this subject.

There is no known cure for a viral infection except a healthy immune system.

From what I can understand, vaccines contain the antigens of deadly viruses that can cause significant disability, death or on the extreme may cause extinction of a whole species. Imagine an airborne mutated AIDS virus that can kill you within a week but you are able to spread in less than 24 hours upon infection, that is a real existential threat at extinction level as an asteroid impact, total thermo-nuclear disaster or extermination from a highly advanced and aggressive alien invasion.

Now these antigens are injected into you so that your immune system can react and make a record of this known virus, so when the next time it encounters this virus, it knows how to handle and neutralize this threat quickly.

When you got the shots, you got the flu and you did not die. That is good, the flu you're describing is the symptom of the viral infection, it means your immune system is actively combating the viral antigen 'threat' that is injected on your body and making record of it so that when you encounter the real healthy and active virus, it can handle it better without you being inconvenienced by the symptoms of Influenza which caused 50 million deaths in 1918.
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"Belief is the strongest metal of them all." - Izaro
Last edited by element274 on Nov 20, 2018, 3:37:34 AM
Here's my summary of this thread.

Vaccines are good. Vaccines have significantly improved public health. People generally accept these improvements unconsciously and with little thought to the status quo. There are a few crazy people. There will always be a few crazy people.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info