[3.1][HC] Scorching RF Inquisitor - cheap starter build - ZiggyD

"
ropefly wrote:
"

"
osiwm wrote:
A few questions from someone looking to play this build:

How important are the increased duration nodes?
I see Orb of storms, Arcane surge, rallying cry and burn stacks of Scorching ray benefiting.
In case of the first 3, you can basically cast them 30% less often, and with scorching ray, the stacks last longer. Is that worth 3 passive points?

They are fairly important for single target damage:

The sole reason why we have increased duration is simply to stack our 8 stages of SR.
We get a lot of free cast speed from the ascendancy + the skill duration makes it possible to reach 8 stages of SR debuff without using faster casting gem.

It also helps for orb of storm / arcane surge but that's just a bonus.

I am by now lvl 77 or so, and am pretty happy with the duration nodes.

However, i did read the wiki on Scorching ray, and it reads: "The duration of any debuff stack applied by Scorching Ray on the target is refreshed upon applying a subsequent debuff stack."

So it does seem to refresh duration of all stacks, which makes the increased duration mostly for letting the burn continue while evading boss attacks
Last edited by osiwm on Aug 15, 2017, 4:20:04 AM
"
ropefly wrote:

How can I calculate my EHP (effective life pool)
Spoiler
Unless 30% of your lifepool is lower than your unreserved mana pool it's safe to say 1 mana is 1 hp.
5.5k life(30% is 1650) and 1200 unreserved mana = 6.7k EHP
4k life(30% is 1200) and 1500 unreserved mana = 4000 + 1200 = 5.2k EHP not 5.5k
Keep this in mind when debating to add extra auras / using unique worm ring

Almost correct, but with a little difference:

Since 30% of the hit is taken off the mana before life, 70% of the damage hits your normal life.
That means that your mana/life ratio can be up tot 70:30 to have mana be life.

That boils down to mana being useful as life up to 42.8% of life, not 30%
"
calrence wrote:

Thanks for the detailed answers to my questions!

FWIW, I missed the 12% Elemental Damage node right off of the Templar start which is (obviously) even better than the 8% Elemental Damage node that I was comparing LoD against.

Using the ZiggyD PoB Data
+12% Elemental Damage

RF DPS: +1.8%
SR Stage 1 DPS: +1.6%

Total: +3.4%

That might be the best single point return for more DPS left in the whole tree.
"
LastxResort wrote:

also instead of the 4%life nodes after warriors blood to use those points on extra Jewel sockets? There are 3 sockets within 3point reach for this build.

I'm doing this for my SC build. Those 4% nodes are fairly low value as you can still stay above 200% Increased Life and grab the 4th Jewel slot for more overall DPS (or flexibility with another slot for some regen if you need it).
"
- You will run arctic armour and clarity when leveling.

FWIW, I ran Herald of Thunder for a while when leveling and then switched to Purity of Elements + Arctic Armour + Clarity up until I was ready to switch to RF. Elements lets you be a bit lazier and ignore gear until you're ready to make the full on switch to RF.
"
I am by now lvl 77 or so, and am pretty happy with the duration nodes.

However, i did read the wiki on Scorching ray, and it reads: "The duration of any debuff stack applied by Scorching Ray on the target is refreshed upon applying a subsequent debuff stack."

So it does seem to refresh duration of all stacks, which makes the increased duration mostly for letting the burn continue while evading boss attacks

you are right but I still hink the duration nodes are worth it.
Quality of life for arcane surge, RC and orb of storms + potential immortal call setup
It also give you a bigger window to continue to burn at 8 stages after dodging boss skills.

But I will edit the guide thanks for reporting kinda 2 grave errors on my part.

"
osiwm wrote:
"
ropefly wrote:

How can I calculate my EHP (effective life pool)
Spoiler
Unless 30% of your lifepool is lower than your unreserved mana pool it's safe to say 1 mana is 1 hp.
5.5k life(30% is 1650) and 1200 unreserved mana = 6.7k EHP
4k life(30% is 1200) and 1500 unreserved mana = 4000 + 1200 = 5.2k EHP not 5.5k
Keep this in mind when debating to add extra auras / using unique worm ring

Almost correct, but with a little difference:

Since 30% of the hit is taken off the mana before life, 70% of the damage hits your normal life.
That means that your mana/life ratio can be up tot 70:30 to have mana be life.

That boils down to mana being useful as life up to 42.8% of life, not 30%

I was kinda confused here, but Taking the example of the 4k life + 1500 unreserved mana and doing simple math proves I was wrong.

Thanks for noticing this !
ign: ropefly
Last edited by ropefly on Aug 14, 2017, 2:04:35 PM
Hey, i jsut bought a sceptre and i see 3 interesting crafts i can do on it. just wondering how does 2 of them works. Its +35-44 maximum mana, 15-30%increased damage over time and 0.2% of fire damage leeched as life. What would u advice to do? Please explain me if and how works last 2 enchants for this build ;)
"
suitonek wrote:
Hey, i jsut bought a sceptre and i see 3 interesting crafts i can do on it. just wondering how does 2 of them works. Its +35-44 maximum mana, 15-30%increased damage over time and 0.2% of fire damage leeched as life. What would u advice to do? Please explain me if and how works last 2 enchants for this build ;)

- Lifeleech doesn't work on burning dmg
- Mana is alright for the extra regen but 15-30 increased damage over time is by far the best enchant (y)
ign: ropefly
"
ropefly wrote:

Thanks for noticing this !

You're welcome! Everything to help and improve an already great guide ;)

As for the discussion of BiS gear, i'm looking at the most important slot of gear first, the body armour. You really want to start lucky fusing 6 links in that baby, so the sooner you have it, the better.

I'm looking at a build plan with up to 240% increased life, 125% increased mana and 1800 base life from level and items as starting point.

My first consideration would be a well rolled Belly of the Beast. 15% All res is handy, and 40% extra life is a whooping 720 extra life. The flask bonus is nice, the armour and evasion not that important. Downsides are that it is bloody expensive, 3 ex to get close to those stats. Another problems is rolling BBBBGR colour, taking an expected 1250 chromes to get.

So the second option is a good rare. Max life with hybrid now seems to be 157! Mana can be up to 73. That is 3 prefixes, so its going to be a rare rare! With life 150*3.4=510 life and mana 70*2.25=157, you get about 667 ehp, only slightly lower than the 40% of the Belly.
That leaves 3 suffixes, and those can be a bit more flexible. If you run Purity of Fire, you really dont need more fire res, so you are looking for Lightning and Cold res, and maybe int or crafted dexterity (i know i need it). Added bonus for these armours: The do require int, and thus will be a lot more easy to get your colours in.

Anyone got better suggestions?
Can this build do content up to guardians without belly is the real question. I am comfortably farming shaped racecourse but not making anywhere near enough currency to sustain. This build also does not seem capable of surviving breaches (whenever they appear in the map I have to be extremely careful not to die and that does not include killing the monsters easily).

I put my build into poe building and can't see any easy upgrades. (except for getting rid of skill duration and grabbing the cluster with reduced mana and life.

I am open to advice but I think this build will stall around tier 13 without a 6 link belly which will require a lot of currency.

As I mentioned in my other post I also have a cwdt immortal call helm which allows me to do all map mods (tier 11).

thoughts?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info