[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

"
Milkyslice wrote:
"
How come doesn't swift afflication work with searing bond anymore ?
There is no "duration" keyword on the searing bond gem so it does make sense, but judging by a quick look at one of the video, it seems like it used to work actually ...

Without swift afflication, support candidates for SB beyond elemental focus and burning damage are ....

- empower
- minion and totem elemental resistances (gives also +19% more dmg)

is that it ? Can't think about any others ... :S

yeah forgot to change that, changed with 3.3.

Empower is definelty better than minion and totem ele res in terms of dps and totem survivability.
On the other side you could just use a 3link or even stand alone just for the regeneration via hierophant or drop it entirely.

Searing Bond is meaningful for dps early on, but falls off with better gear. Its a bit extra (like 10% of the total) dps, a bit regen and the main selling point that it counts as an extra totem. On top it can cover a big area like 4 portals in a elder fights while scorching ray/rf more like 1-2 totems depending on the placement.

Actually, I'm playing a completely different build, I asked here because you have experience with searing bond.
I didnt want to play templar because I don't like the personally ( and th lines ... ffs those lines .... ), and I don't really like the model either.
I wanted to play shadow and toy with searing bond, so I am running a Trickster Searing Bond in SSF HC incursion atm, just reached yellow maps.
And the coverage starts to be lacking, I would love having one more totem ( in addition to ancestral bond, that I pretty much have to take ), but I just can't because I'm a Trickster and there are very very few options available :/
I've been doing alright with searing bond so far, but for very crowded places (hello Harbingers + Beyond), searing bond really lacks coverage imho, of course more damage could help.
I might go for scorching rays totem too, but I only have 2 totem + searing bond so ... not sure.
First I'm going to add curse on hit + ele weakness on my lightning trap to see how much it improves clearing.

Thanks for the answer anyway !
I hope I'll get Geoffri's helm soon enough to put a 4L ( running on a 3S +2 fire SR setup right now ) setup with empower if I have, or totem ele res support if I don't.
I hope that GGG will give SR some love in the future
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Aug 20, 2018, 8:29:55 AM
How does this build do with uber lab full key runs?

Is it hard to get all keys from izaro with lieutenants or gargoyles cos your totems are all AOE based?
"
bankai1009 wrote:
How does this build do with uber lab full key runs?

Is it hard to get all keys from izaro with lieutenants or gargoyles cos your totems are all AOE based?

Its not really an issue with proper totem placement. you mainly use sr totems and decoy for the fight and you can use multiple decoys as well.

just place the dps totems far off the gargoyles etc spawn location and add a decoy in the mix so izaro is seperated from them. Then you can place another decay to lure a spawn away. Usually izaro is dead before a 2nd add spawns.

@fruz

SB just lacks coverage and endgame dmg since its heavily limited by the supports. Then you need to place at least 2 totems (in good spots) to even cover a decent area.

SR on the other side can scale better and easier. Not as much as crit builds, but it doesnt need much to archieve good dps.

SR is also meh for clearing on totems since they lock on a target til it dies conpared to a player that just sweeps the beam around the screen and hits everything quickly. At lwast SR totems stack their dmg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2199862

Instant cast RF via Totems? gimme!

This change will reduce the delay by a HUGE chunk, literally only totem placementspeed is a factor then. But who knows if something happena with EE or similar stuff

Last edited by Milkyslice on Aug 24, 2018, 12:06:53 AM
"
Note that a skill which is ordinarily instant (such as an aura) will not be instant, and therefore unusable while moving, if it has its cast speed changed by a support (such as Spell Totem).

Not sure if the castspeed is similar to the current state or it just means that placing a rf totem just wont be instant. the first thing i have to test while the patch is live

Yeah, I'd love to get clarification on that. Torn between another RF totemer, and playing with the new Caustic Arrow. RF Totems are SUCH a nice league starter though, if the delay is gone then damn....
"
Breken wrote:
Yeah, I'd love to get clarification on that. Torn between another RF totemer, and playing with the new Caustic Arrow. RF Totems are SUCH a nice league starter though, if the delay is gone then damn....

i will login, test it on a standard char quickly and decide then.

if everything works out it will be way better than before without a delay and the quick totem placement. If the cooldown kicks in after each placed totem its literally unplayable and i would transition the build into pure sr totems for sure.

Caustic arrow is also an alternative for me, most likely playing one this league:)

My initial plan was starting with rf totems to unlock the atlas and make currency and respecc/regear into a selfcast Scorching Ray 25k life/es/mom supertank since it relies on uniques on 95% of the slots (except rings... even all jewels are uniques).

Would be nice to stay on one char for tthe delve progression

"
Milkyslice wrote:
"
Breken wrote:

i will login, test it on a standard char quickly and decide then.

if everything works out it will be way better than before without a delay and the quick totem placement. If the cooldown kicks in after each placed totem its literally unplayable and i would transition the build into pure sr totems for sure.

Caustic arrow is also an alternative for me, most likely playing one this league:)

My initial plan was starting with rf totems to unlock the atlas and make currency and respecc/regear into a selfcast Scorching Ray 25k life/es/mom supertank since it relies on uniques on 95% of the slots (except rings... even all jewels are uniques).

Would be nice to stay on one char for tthe delve progression

Can you post an update PoB for 3.4 pls? :D
I hope RF totems casting RF is instant! This build deserves to live on.

As a side note Spiritual Aid makes the passive tree more interesting; turning all those nearby minion dmg nodes to global dmg is juicy. Also extra attack speed if spiritual command is taken could benefit the changed shield charge.
"
Can you post an update PoB for 3.4 pls? :D

not much changed basically. The first points are way better for leveling now :X

https://pastebin.com/eapSSUh7

Totemic Zeal would be the last thing i would skill as well as Firewalker, breath/heart of flames

"
As a side note Spiritual Aid makes the passive tree more interesting; turning all those nearby minion dmg nodes to global dmg is juicy. Also extra attack speed if spiritual command is taken could benefit the changed shield charge.

The minion dmg nodes aren´t strong enough compared to the fire/burning dmg nodes or require totemnodes to be worth it. Spiritual Command sadly doesnt increase castspeed as well.

But theoretically you could go for some lower dmg and add death attunement and the command nodes and run some sprectres or some shit on top for no particular reason :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info