Changes to the Labyrinth

I want to add to the comments that the Lab is the worst part of the game. I'm absolutely not as skilled a player as many of you. I hit the wrong flasks constantly, misposition myself, or don't correctly react to telegraphed damage. So I shouldn't get end-game rewards as easily, absolutely. But the uber lab is absolutely infuriating for a player like me. Learning the Izaro mechanics, getting a feel for what damage to run from or tank, etc, is incredibly not-fun, as it takes twenty minutes to tip-toe or mad-rush through those ridiculous visual shit-shows that are the uber traps. I can navigate the Merciless traps, because I can see what the hell is damaging me. The aura totems are not always targetable, and hearing that horrible grinding noise as a buzzsaw is apparently directly under me makes steam come out of my ears.

Again, I'm not a great player. I don't want to be hand-held. But learning an encounter that is 100% vital to a character should not require me becoming angry enough to break my keyboard a dozen times. I get no sense of accomplishment after beating Izaro, not after how many times I've quit the game for a week after an infuriating three hours of game time.

I doubt it'll ever change, but there will always be a large contingent of players who think the place completely blows.

Some sort of incremental method of achieving the fourth ascendancy points could solve my issue. Require the points to cost 100 pints of Izaro blood or whatever. You get the full 100 if you kill him, but maybe 1 pint for a first phase kill and 5 for a second. That way players like me, who are simply not good at the lab, can still grind our way to the ascendencies without nearly (or actually) uninstalling the game in fury.
"
Cidira wrote:
This does nothing to address the fact that Ascendancy, and the full complement of points, is a non-optional part of a build, while the endgame Labyrinth is unfeasible for all but a narrow subset of builds. I want endgame content to be hard, but I also want it to be doable by a wide variety of builds with practice. The Labyrinth is not, in part because it's such a pain in the ass TO practice, and in part because Izaro does an unreasonable amount of damage. I'd really like to be able to enjoy the Labyrinth, instead of grudgingly slogging through it once per difficulty and paying someone or asking a guildie to help me get my last two points while I stand outside the Izaro room every time because he one-shots everything life-based. (No, I don't want to play CI. I tried it and hated it. I want to fight things that DON'T DEAL OVER 5500 DAMAGE PER HIT.) Everything up through the Merciless lab can be fun if I'm playing the right build, but once I get to the last one, nothing I find even slightly fun is the right build, and the fact that almost NO ONE is doing ANY of the newer late-endgame content with the builds I like to play will probably be the thing that drives me away for good someday.

if it makes you feel better. my life based guy this league has 8300 life, 19k armor with flask up and the 20% damage reduction flask active. I still get one shot by Izaro in uber labs on the last phase sometimes out of no where. Good times lol.
"
yungwhiz wrote:
Please just add an opt out where you fight Izario, get your points, dont get any treasure chests or enchants.

I would love this, Idc about Izaro fights (for the "challenge" of them), lab drops, etc.

I just want my ascension. Hell I would pay to skip the stupidity that is labs not only for myself but for everyone I introduce to the game.

They buckle a bit at the learning curve but I can talk them through that, the labs? Ha... dunzo.

They leave and do not return, and I can't talk them back into hell I don't even want to do them and I've played since CB. They are not fun they are not challenging, just a time sink.

And lord, running someone through them trying to explain to them don't run now, don't stand there, keep up. Etc?

Then they die and you have to explain no you can't restart from where you were, no I cannot drop you a portal to me, like I have been able to IN EVERY aspect of the game up until now, basically I cannot help you. We will have to rerun it, and this time, if you die again. I am continuing on without you.

Not very user friendly lol
I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
I don't have fun playing labyrinth at all. I do it because I'm obligated to have the points. So many trials and suffering for what? Guess I should play Scion so I don't even bother getting those points.
Labyrinth is the worst. Please don't make us do it. Please let us play the game normally, why do you hate us so much when we give you money? I feel like this is becoming the point of contention in an abusive relationship.
I'm sad that we still have to do trials, I just feel like this whole thing is tedious and annoying. It has nothing to do with the character, It's a labyrinth so I don't get how It's suppose to grant you these special powers.

I've seen so many new players struggle as well, dying and retrying. Which ends with them quitting the labyrinth all together.
I was excited when I read "Changes to the Labyrinth". But ended up dissapointed after reading that nothing was actually changed.

As a Hardcorer with a bad connection, I will always hate the lab.
Last edited by Golden_Order on May 16, 2017, 1:15:50 AM
This seems positive overall! Overall I'm pleased with the changes GGG is making :) My thoughts from a HC perspective:

* Trials are super tedious and it seems common/safest to run them super overleveled making them extra boring. Cutting out 6 is great but honestly, once you do the first six I think that could be it for Cruel and Merciless Lab. I'm not opposed to gating Uber Lab behind RNG trials, but it's not my favorite, I usually just avoid builds that require Uber Lab.
* The "no portal" aspect is really awkward. Sometimes I just have to quit in the middle if someone rings the doorbell or needs a hand. Such an odd limitation.
* It's quite unfriendly to non-perfect networks. A random lag spike can easily leave you sitting in the middle of a deadly trap, and it's SO frustrating to get 80% through and get disconnected.

I don't mind having to solve some puzzles and figuring out how to get my build through the lab. It's a nice challenge. But personally I'd love to see Cruel + Merc trials removed, and allow portals and rejoining an instance. Then I can answer doorbells and at least retrace my steps in the case of a disconnect without resolving the same exact puzzle layouts.
I can't say this surprises me but It's extremely disappointing. You had a great opportunity here to significantly improve this labyrinth nonsense and yet this is the best you can come up with.
So anyone will be able to do it now. Swell.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info