Lightning Strike

the lightning is converted from physical so it'll benefit from iron grip's physical projectile boost.
if you have resolute tech, it'll hit no matter how you use anything unless foe has dodging or blocking, which as far as i know is only in pvp.
Blackguards can Block attacks. :)

The Projectiles gain Always Hits if the Melee strike Hits the target. When you shift-click in the middle of nowhere, you don't Hit anything with the Melee strike, of course. As such, the Projectiles will roll To Hit individually. ResTech allows you to skip that roll, as per usual.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
the lightning is converted from physical so it'll benefit from iron grip's physical projectile boost.
if you have resolute tech, it'll hit no matter how you use anything unless foe has dodging or blocking, which as far as i know is only in pvp.

Thanks for the explaination, for purpose of my better understanding, could you elaborate on three example cases below?
I am not 100% sure at what stage conversion happens - i suspect at the very beginning.

weapon does 100 physical damage
ring adds 10 fire damage
100 strength (+20%dmg)
lightning strike connected to iron grip

case 1
Spoiler
close hit dmg:
100*120% + 10 fire =
120 phys + 10 fire =

lightning conversion + projectile reduction 70%, base is now 42 phys + 42 light
proj dmg:
42 phys * 120% + 42 light + 10 fire =
50.4 phys + 42 light + 10 fire =

case 2
Spoiler
lightning conversion
close hit dmg
50*120% phys + 50 light + 10 fire =
60 phys + 50 light + 10 fire =

projectile reduction 70%, base is now 42 phys + 35 light
proj dmg:
42 phys * 120% + 35 light + 10 fire =
50.4 phys + 35 light + 10 fire =

case 3
Spoiler
lightning conversion
close hit dmg
50*120% phys + 50 light + 10 fire =
60 phys + 50 light + 10 fire =

projectile reduction 70%, base is now 42 phys + 35 light + 7 fire
proj dmg:
42 phys * 120% + 35 light + 7 fire =
50.4 phys + 35 light + 7 fire =

This was going to be question about iron grip, but funny enough, iron grip dmg boost is the same in all cases so i answered myself on this one.

Questions i have remaining are:

1. At what stage does lightning conversion happen, does strength boost come into play come at 100%? (my guess is at the beginning + no)
2. Does flat elemental damage get added separately to initial hit and separately to projectile damage, escaping 70% conversion?

Essentially i am trying to figure if it's best to use elemental or physical weapon for it.

Complexity of this skill makes it not easy to work with :)
ign LerielF
Last edited by Leriel on Mar 21, 2013, 9:32:11 AM
added and convert happens first, with convert subtracting from previous amount.
flat damage from accessories have thier own step working parallel to next.
increased/decreased happens next on valid types and summed to each other before working, converted/added stuff gets benefits of previous types.
add the flat damage to the previous step.
more/less happened next and are each separate steps of thier own.
then even though damage modifier could go with the more/less step, its easier to see when doing it last.
This seems to be the most lacking of all melee skills. The scalability is pretty poor considering the projectiles are the main source of damage.

As mentioned before, the projectiles are often stopped by surrounding objects in the environment like tombstones, or tables, etc...

I feel that this skill should receive 150% conversion of all added lightning effects from gear, gems, and auras. This would allow the average player to focus less on the confusing aspects of lightning strike -- which are the physical conversion, and you'd then be able to focus more on obtaining lightning damage, which is a pretty straight forward endeavour.

If you like this idea, please support it. If you don't like this idea, please give criticisms that can make the skill better than its current state, which is extremely lacking in comparison to other melee skills.
Last edited by stabbypanda on Mar 23, 2013, 12:26:09 AM
how does lightning strike work with adder touch?
if I am using a dagger, will the monsters hit by the projectiles get poison?
Can Lightning Strike Shock a Mob? or does it need to be paired with something like added lightning damage, or static blows passive - or both?

I am experimenting with a lightning strike build, but so far, it seems to have zero chance to shock a mob, so the next thing I can try is getting static blows, but I dont know if that will do anything, and its about 7-8 points away.
"
Kunaak wrote:
Can Lightning Strike Shock a Mob? or does it need to be paired with something like added lightning damage, or static blows passive - or both?

I am experimenting with a lightning strike build, but so far, it seems to have zero chance to shock a mob, so the next thing I can try is getting static blows, but I dont know if that will do anything, and its about 7-8 points away.
Since the lightning damage of projectiles is only 50% of skill damage further reduced by 30%, your chance to shock is very small since it's dependent on crit + % of health dealt in hit.

Static blows is a great way to up your shock chance, but keep in mind that duration listed by wiki is 276ms per 1% of health dealt.

Interesting yet mana costly combination suggested in other thread that i haven't tried yet, would be lightning strike + chain + point blank + static blows. Point blank paired with chain basically negates projectile damage decrease here (you still get 50% penalty from chain itself though), therefore increasing your shock duration and increasing chance to shock out of static blows
ign LerielF
I'm wondering about the wording of Lightning Strike. Particularly about the projectiles that are fired off by holding shift and using the weapon.

Is the damage of the projectiles based on JUST the physical damage of my weapon, or does elemental damage on the weapon apply to the projectiles as well.

For example, if I had a Dagger that does 1-10 physical damage, and I had another dagger that does 1-5 physical damage and 1-6 lightning damage, which dagger increases my Lightning Strike projectile damage more?

The tool tip for it seems to be misleading, as it seems to only show the damage of Lightning Strike if you were melee with it, but most people use it for its projectiles.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
The Projectiles work like any other Attack, except they're Projectile Attacks with a Melee Weapon instead of the more common Melee/Melee and Proj/Ranged combinations.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info