Freezing Pulse

Had the same with Ek, unlikely that it's FP specific.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
I guess it happened with some of the recent patches, though I am not sure which one exactly, cause I didn't play much last week. I didn't notice this behavior two weeks ago. Freezing pulse worked every time, but it didn't do damage to mobs near doors and some obstacles.
"
at_rus wrote:
I guess it happened with some of the recent patches, though I am not sure which one exactly, cause I didn't play much last week. I didn't notice this behavior two weeks ago. Freezing pulse worked every time, but it didn't do damage to mobs near doors and some obstacles.

Yeah, now that I've played with it a bit more, it seems to happen near all sorts of blocking objects, like doorways, trees, rocks, etc. Really hope it gets fixed. Frustrating to have your target highlighted, but be unable to fire.
I also find this bug extremely annoying, it makes pyramid one hell of a nightmare to play(.

I guess the problem is caused by projectiles having actual SIZE unlike other skills. Often when I shoot towards the door the FP waves are stopped at the doorway despite the projectile seemingly passing. I dont know whether the projectile form is rectangular or round but this may happen due to it having unequal sides (along and perpendicular to the shooting direction). I do not see that happening to fireball - either it has no actual size - or its small enough - or its circle unlike FP. And as I understand Arctic breath has a skull as a projectile and it has no size. Please correct if this is wrong.

My guess is that game engine cannot fit the projectile to hit the mob in a doorway - since you need not only the direct line of sight but also that the wave fits in the doorway. The game does account for first but probably its too complicated to fit two variables more or sometimes the routine isnt able to find a solution. Maybe it will be better to make less restriction on wave fitting so that the obstacles stop the wave only in case they intersect with its central axis not the bounding box.
Last edited by Lichalfred on Nov 19, 2012, 2:58:17 AM
I have also consistently encountered the problem with being unable to shoot at monsters who are in doorways (especially in the pyramid), but it seems that even monsters near walls (and potentially objects like barrels) make so I can't fire the spell.
http://twitch.tv/carpola - Check me out!
My expectation would be that if a part of the wave doesn't fit in the door (or hits any other obstacle), the wave will not stop entirely, but only the parts that hit will end - the rest will continue until it dissipates by itself. It will be a nice physics based effect and also a challenge to implement.
I've also noticed with this spell that If I am targeting a monster that is close to the wall I cannot highlight the monster to see it's health or the spell won't cast. To target that monster I had to move my cursor back even though it was clearly right in front of me.

I noticed the doorway's issue as well, but to me it seemed like that was meant to happen (as in the door stops part but not all of the pulse). Monsters standing right in the door were still damaged.
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
So it wasn't just me. I just started playing a witch again using FP and remember the issues with targeting through doorways etc and got around that by using Ice Spear. Now It seems if the target is near any sort of object including walls you can't always target them with either spell. I get around it using Ice Nova instead but it is annoying and sometimes frightening in hardcore to fail an attack in a heated battle.
Yeah, the spell is indeed a bit wonky when firing when in close spaces, not only through doors but also sometimes when near a wall. I guess that's because it's a "projectile", but having a magic wave being stopped in a doorway just feels weird.
I have this problem with different skills too.
It is most annoying with flame totem and lightning nova imho...

Besides that FP is imho overpowered. It does way more dmg then other spells. (thats the reason why almost every caster I see is using FP)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info