Blood Rage

I think the chaos damage per second is a little too high in the endgame.

While you can use the spell easily during leveling, it gets more and more frustrating during maps.

Since you get more and more health in order to manage maps without dying, you actually make blood rage worse and worse with each additional health you get.

At a certain treshold you start losing health even if you use the best life flask in the game because it cant counteract the percentage based lifeloss anymore and at that point it gets too hard to use imo.

The skill is already hard to use in maps because there are only 6 portals and you cant just hop in and out of a map if you run out of flask charges because there are only 6 portals, but the more life you get the harder it becomes and at a certain treshold it becomes infinitely harder.

More health doesnt increase blood rage´s benefit, why does it increase its deficit? I dont think that concept feels good.

Actually i dont think decreasing the chaos damage percentage is a real option here, because its just gonna move the treshold but not really fix the issue.

Maybe just disallow blood rage to drop the players health below a certain treshold?
Its not like the secondary effect (gaining attackspeed on lowlife) is being triggered that often anyways.
Last edited by gh0un on Aug 23, 2012, 10:54:52 AM
There's +%Life regeneration in the tree; Duelists and Marauders have easy access to 3%/2% regen respectively, and there's 2% in the center. That helps a lot to counteract the life degeneration. Heck, it can even negate it entirely.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
There's +%Life regeneration in the tree; Duelists and Marauders have easy access to 3%/2% regen respectively, and there's 2% in the center. That helps a lot to counteract the life degeneration. Heck, it can even negate it entirely.

As easy as it is to get % life regeneration with duelists and marauders, its almost impossible with all other classes except maybe for the templar.

Maybe if more % life regeneration nodes are introduced in the future for other classes aswell, but right now thats not the case.

I am at 2100 life with my ranger currently and i am level 70.
Up until now i was using blood rage with great success in maps, but ever since i crossed about 1900 life it kept getting harder and harder to actually keep blood rage up without dying.

With 2100 life, i am barely below the treshold at which point blood rage deals more damage than the best flask heals, but even now its incredibly hard to use because i dont gain any life.

In order to gain life i need to use a flask and attack enemies at the same time, but sometimes i am left with 50% life after a pack of enemies, and from there its very hard to not die or use up a portal.
If i have a flask left, i can maintain the 50% life, but that means i will start the next fight with half my life, and in choke points (like door entrances) this is fatal.
If i dont have a flask left, i am basically forced to use a portal or die if i dont make it in time.

I am already using an instant life regeneration flask and a strong lifeflask in combination, but it doesnt really cut it anymore.

Going even higher in health is going to be suicidal at this point, and that doesnt make too much sense imo.

Last edited by gh0un on Aug 23, 2012, 11:51:04 AM
I don't really see the center as "nearly impossible" to obtain.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
I don't really see the center as "nearly impossible" to obtain.

I have the 4 life nodes close to the middle (to the top left of the ranger starting area).
From there it takes 11 points to get to the life regeneration nodes in the middle (and skill them).

If you have to use 11 points to make blood rage work (in a fairly defensive build anyways), then what is the point again?

You will lose more damage than you gain by putting in these points, but the point of going for the life regeneration was to enable blood rage and thus increase damage... sooo...

Problem is the life regeneration is on the left side of the middle and on the way there, there is only useless stuff if the point was to increase damage.
All the useful stuff for damage is on the right side of the middle, but that doesnt connect to the left side in a useful fashion.

You would either have to go through strength nodes, or through melee dmg nodes.
Both are subpar (or in case of melee dmg nodes: useless) if the point of reaching the life regen was to increase damage by enabling the use of bloodrage.

If you want the same damage increase and more life increase, you rather want to go to the right side of the ranger tree, there are +% life nodes and a bunch of damage and attackspeed nodes that are easier to reach and grant more damage and survivability at the same time.

Basically the life regeneration in the middle is impossible to reach if the point was to increase damage.
If your goal was to reduce total damage, then it is possible to reach.

But since the point of making blood rage work is a point of increasing damage, it is impossible to reach without losing damage on the way there.

If there was a connection from the right side of the middle to the left side of the middle, it would actually be quite easy to reach and make for an awesome option (from that projectile damage node to the life regeneration node)

Last edited by gh0un on Aug 23, 2012, 8:50:49 PM
If you can't make it work with your build because the required passive nodes are too expensive, then maybe it doesn't fit in your build. Welp. I personally don't see that as a reason to buff the skill, when you can make it work just fine with a different build (which would also benefit from the buff).

Perhaps there's a reason I mostly see Frenzy on Rangers.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
If you can't make it work with your build because the required passive nodes are too expensive, then maybe it doesn't fit in your build. Welp. I personally don't see that as a reason to buff the skill, when you can make it work just fine with a different build (which would also benefit from the buff).

Perhaps there's a reason I mostly see Frenzy on Rangers.

That was the point i was trying to make in my first post.
The skill works absolutely fine while leveling up and through merciless.
Once you go for maps and bump up your health pool, it starts behaving way differently.

I mean the gem is green, one would assume it is most suited for rangers, but actually it is pretty hard as a ranger to get any life regen on the skilltree without sacrificing more than the bloodrage effect grants (in the endgame).

Thats why i said a plain buff isnt what we need, because the mechanic itself is actually pretty good, the way it gets worse with more life and how you cant always use up a portal in maps is what irks me.

Blood rage was developed at a time where there were no maps, it was probably balanced around the fact that you could always open up a portal and replenish your flasks or your health if you ever needed to do so.

Now that there are maps, someone needs to give feedback on how the skill feels in maps.
I believe the skill is too restrictive in maps and i dont necessarily think thats entirely intended.

Anyways, im still going to use the skill for now, but i am kinda forced to stop increasing on my lifepool any further because losing health while using a lifeflask feels bad.
Last edited by gh0un on Aug 24, 2012, 7:58:43 AM
Is it intended that kills via totem don't count to refresh blood rage?
Last edited by c2games on Aug 24, 2012, 12:13:22 PM
"
c2games wrote:
Is it intended that kills via totem don't count to refresh blood rage?
might be already in the fix for next patch according to a different skill thread. not sure.
My only feedback about this skill is that it definitely requires players to have at least 2% life regen. Because the "4% of physical damage leeched back on hit" doesn't really cut it for life regen. I tried it once when I didn't have the Golem's Blood notable and hated it. Then with Golem's Blood notable, I thought it was a decent skill, and especially usefully in a group setting than solo.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info