Warbands and Tempest Challenge Leagues

"
Qarl wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:
these leagues sound amazing and I have a question about them. Are they made to be added to the core gameplay after the leagues are over? and for how long they will last?

We like to see how a league plays out before we answer that question.

The immediate tech payoff for us from Warbands is enhanced AI options. A lot of work was put into improving the AI, and the options a designer can use on a monster or pack (using the pack tech that bloodlines gave us).

Aside from the tempests themselves, Tempest came with tech for affecting world areas universally (also used in Warbands). Tempest will also give us some potential cool map mods for the future.

and how long will the new leagues last, carl?

both leagues' challenges sound amazing, you've done a great job and imo the game took a big step forward towards perfection.

one question regarding the challenge league video, was that really chris speaking? he sounded so professional (i don't want to use "dejected"). i can only guess about the reasons...
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
In the Tempest league do negative tempests add an item quantity bonus like with maps? With greater risk comes greater reward and all that? Because if they don't, if they merely add difficulty without any greater reward, the Warband league then looks a lot more fun. It has greater risks in the warbands and greater rewards in the unique items they can drop, and possibly other higher loot like from killing a rare or rogue exile.

I also think it's a bad idea to require players to use some outside 3rd party resource to keep track of map tempests.
Last edited by MrSparkle001 on Jul 6, 2015, 8:01:23 AM
"
MrSparkle001 wrote:
In the Tempest league do negative tempests add an item quantity bonus like with maps? With greater risk comes greater reward and all that?

They generally don't, however Tempests that are bad for you will also be bad for the monsters, so you can still turn them to your advantage. Likewise, tempests that are good for you will also be good for the monsters. There's a built in risk/reward to both.

Personally, the map tempests being secret is something I'm looking forward to, because we've hidden some really cool ones in them.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
There's a built in risk/reward to both.

GGG still has a misconception what Risk Reward is.

Reward for players are Good items aka barely anything blue, max linked if white/blue, uniques and so on.

Reward for you sounds like: "It's easier to kill those monsters"

Players will still avoid one shot bosses and climb with +1 maps and receipes. Reward would be if mods would had much more influence on the map difficulty than a boss with Big numbers in the damage column and map drops would be guaranteed or had increased level.

"
Hilbert wrote:
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
There's a built in risk/reward to both.

GGG still has a misconception what Risk Reward is.

Reward for players are Good items aka barely anything blue, max linked if white/blue, uniques and so on.

Reward for you sounds like: "It's easier to kill those monsters"

What I'm saying here is that risks and rewards can come in multiple forms, not that there will only ever be one form of reward in Tempest. I apologise if that wasn't clear from my post.

Short term power or survivability can absolutely be a reward though. It doesn't mean that the league can't or won't also have longer term rewards available. Part of making areas matter is the idea that where you go can be based on which kinds of risks you're willing to take, and which rewards you'd rather pursue.

Not that you're going to get more specific details out of me that easily :)
Gameplay & Level Design
I am not playing the game and I am critisizing that there is no risk reward since forever.

Players want guaranteed good items if they do something that can kill them with one attack.

Dancing around for 10-30min just to find 1 useless 1 socket rare and 4-5 blue items isn't rewarding.

Same thing with invasion. There was so much stuff that could offscreen/pop up kill you and if you killed it you got nothing.

This isn't risk reward this is waste of time/frustration->Trade.

If you want to focus on grinding either make uniques easily available like D2 classic and end goals are good rares or make low drop chance top items like Windforce, Grandfather, Shaefers, Arkaines Valor top tier.

But PoE has those low drop chance uniques which are mediocore and by the time you find them you crafttraded a superior rare.

"
Dan_GGG wrote:

Short term

"
Dan_GGG wrote:
can be a reward

No.
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
Part of making areas matter is the idea that where you go can be based on which kinds of risks you're willing to take, and which rewards you'd rather pursue.

And you hide information about effects on maps because...?

I call this bullshit. It is not choice or risk/reward. It is 'grind this zone or GTFO' approach. And as much as I don't give a fuck about temp leagues lemmings I don't want to be around when this hit permanent leagues.
In years to come
You hear my name
When darkness falls
On judgment day
"
Chris wrote:

Tempest League

In the Tempest league, Wraeclast is affected by magical Tempests. These can cause a variety of effects that influence both monsters and players, such as changing their sizes, causing damage, altering drop rates or even automatically animating weapons that drop.

So what happens when that nice unique weapon drops and gets automatically animated? Will it be lootable still or is it just tough luck sucks to be you? I've never used the animate spells so I don't know how they work really but i'd be mad if some good unique dropped and I got screwed over like this.
"
Wizardhawk wrote:
Will it be lootable still

Weapons animated by this mod will still be lootable after you fight them.
Gameplay & Level Design
"
Chris wrote:
Challenge leagues are extremely popular
Because you ruin permanent league by giving us more items on challenge leagues. Stop it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info