Aura Reservation and Reduced Mana Support Gem Change

"
AndCub wrote:
I honestly expected this to come.
great changes. I only hope you can still run hoi/hot/anger/wrath/purity with enough mana reservation nodes and doesnt need a EL4 for it.

Well, if this go live, you can't anymore. It's pretty obvious.

@EDIT: And btw people, i forgot to mention something, in the recently released Q&A that Rory made with ZiggyD, rory said that the opportunity cost of the golems are pretty 'low'. He said he was thinking on add something like a 10% reservation for golems or something like this.

Now think with me, they are doing this to free an empty Socket for us right ? (IF this is the true reason)
If the reservation for golems is true, so they're just adding another aura that we won't be able to use, without sacrificing another valuable one.

So what's the point on freeing an empty socket to just add another 'aura like' skill ?

This is just a question that came in my head recently... What you guys think about it ?
Dream with me !
Last edited by Hilldrake on May 12, 2015, 9:20:32 AM
"
"
AndCub wrote:
great changes. I only hope you can still run hoi/hot/anger/wrath/purity with enough mana reservation nodes and doesnt need a EL4 for it.

It is actually possible if you take all mana reduction nodes on the tree plus the jewel which grants 2 reduced mana reservation, at least if you drop purity. Hoi/hot/anger/wrath together cost 150% mana, all reservastion reductions together are 38%. So: 150*0,62 = 93% of mana is used for auras.

"
@EDIT: And btw people, i forgot to mention something, in the recently released Q&A that Rory made with ZiggyD, rory said that the opportunity cost of the golems are pretty 'low'. He said he was thinking on add something like a 10% reservation for golems or something like this.

Now think with me, they are doing this to free an empty Socket for us right ? (IF this is the true reason)
If the reservation for golems is true, so they're just adding another aura that we won't be able to use, without sacrificing another valuable one.

So what's the point on freeing an empty socket to just add another 'aura like' skill ?

This is just a question that came in my head recently... What you guys think about it ?

To tell the truth, golems appear to be rather underwhelming so I am not sure if I would run one without any cost at all .., f they really do this than I doubt that anyone will continue to use them. Where did you get that information from?
Last edited by vangrandson on May 12, 2015, 9:31:38 AM
"
vangrandson wrote:
"
"
AndCub wrote:

It is actually possible if you take all mana reduction nodes on the tree plus the jewel which grants 2 reduced mana reservation, at least if you drop purity. Hoi/hot/anger/wrath together cost 150% mana, all reservastion reductions together are 38%. So: 150*0,62 = 93% of mana is used for auras.

"

To tell the truth, golems appear to be rather underwhelming so I am not sure if I would run one without any cost at all .., f they really do this than I doubt that anyone will continue to use them. Where did you get that information from?

About the Auras: Even though it's possible, and i know that, it would require a lot of gear and waste in terms of passive points to reach that, and everyone knows that this is not viable. I prefer to "waste" my points in life/energy shield/resistances than in THAT much aura nodes.

About the golem information: It's an Q&A made by ZiggyD with Rory, it's like a streaming interview:
Here's the links:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAkVmfEsiE

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EDBrhlnIp4

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_r5RiAxjc

I can't remember exactly in time where Rory said about the Idea of making Golems have a higher opportunity cost, but it IS there.

And I totally agree with you that Golems are not this much they're all saying, even Fortify is a bit overrated for me... So if they increase its opportunity cost I'll bet in the same horse as you...
Dream with me !
Last edited by Hilldrake on May 12, 2015, 10:00:13 AM
Biggest disappointment I've seen from Grinding Gear Games.

You're fixing something that is not broken
"
chokatocheeew wrote:
Biggest disappointment I've seen from Grinding Gear Games.

You're fixing something that is not broken

Hahahaha they did that already, a lot of times...

But I can understand the reason they want to change the way the auras work at the moment. I actually think it is necessary at a certain point of the game that it would happen.

But the problem here is not the change itself, but the way they're doing it.
Dream with me !
Last edited by Hilldrake on May 12, 2015, 10:02:47 AM
I never understood the stigma behind auras. They make a good addition to any build, they're a direct stat upgrade, they allow people to contribute more to parties, and only at the cost of reserving some mana that (unless in early game where you don't have much regen) probably won't be used anyway.

You say that you want auras to be more of a choice rather than a necessity, but what selection do we have? Charges are only temporary and need to somehow be obtained through active skills or passive gems, not to mention need skill tree investment to be really effective. Curses are again temporary, could use a bit of skill tree points to be really good, and don't really aid the player directly other than making enemies weaker. Also, neither of these deal with mana reservation and both could very well be ran alongside auras.

You say you want to do away with the RM + aura standard everyone uses that force even primarily dexterity/intelligence-based classes to have to move over to the strength side of the skill tree? Well you don't have to due to the very useful build-enabling +30 to strength (which also help the other way around with dexterity and intelligence) that are rather close by and will most likely be passing along on the highways anyway. Then again those highways do enable you to go from one side of the tree to another anyways, and the more spread out trees seem more fun anyway in my opinion. Also replacing it with enlighten is going to lead to the same situation except with a much larger cost that people will pay. And what use will there be for RM after anyway? I rarely see it in actual skills (except for some rather expensive 6Ls or what would have been costly spams) except when used in auras.

Here's some ideas (most likelya combination of some) of how I would address it:

-Make RM a hybrid gem, most likely str/int, this way it lowers the strength cost needed and makes it more viable for non-strength classes and tunes it more towards magic as well

-Much like you're planning to do with enlighten, create a new gem that deals with mana reservation except that fits more on the right side of the skill tree away from the strength requirement

-Create new skills/supports that would deal with mana reservation but not auras, most likely geared towards curses or charges, like how about a support gem that when linked to a curse or something like enduring cry, does not allow you to cast the skill yourself but instead constantly casts it around your person (although at a slower speed than you can cast) at the cost of reserving mana, basically turning that skill into am aura of sorts

-Nerf RM in conjunction with the reduced aura cost you have in mind rather than bar it completely from auras, which seems to be it's main use

-Have negative side-effects to auras that would affect the one welding the aura but not allies, making them still welcomed in parties, but make aura-based builds very weak themselves and this less viable. These negatives could be stat debuffs like slower attack/cast/movement speed, reduced damage, reduced armor/evasion/energy shield, or even reduced elemental resistance that would effect an opposite stat, like how haste would come maybe with a damage reduction (that wouldn't completely negate the boost it'd get from the attack speed) but it wouldn't come with a reduced movement speed for obvious reasons. Also these debuffs may or may not be affected by increased effect.

Just some ideas to toy with, I just hope we don't have such a drastic change that many builds become no longer viable...like how is a pure summoner supposed to further defend her creations with less auras?
Fire Ferrets
"
man_ga wrote:
I never understood the stigma behind auras.

-they allow extremely powerful builds in terms of offense and/or defense, just by stacking lots of them
-they allow powerful solo builds, something developers want to slaughter, they want you in a party
-they allow cheap, effective enough builds with few investments in terms of time spent
-they allow insane party "no known aura is missing" gameplay, a.k.a. "the invincible team", which is dangerous balance wise

By balancing around party gameplay, read "let's rape the solo @unt".

Saying this I don't mean to defend the balance team intentions, but speaking in general.
If they dare to execute it in they way they've planned, it will be utter disaster.
It will kill tonnes of builds, it will directly hit solo players, it will benefit the richest (nolifers), but piss over the +90% of the rest.

Anyway I hope they will rethink and find a better solution, hoping for the best. Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team.

This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on May 12, 2015, 12:19:17 PM
"
torturo wrote:
Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team.

Welcome to my signature! ;)
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Hard game just got harder bring it! Unless your a whale in standard.
Go AB's
"
torturo wrote:

-they allow powerful solo builds, something developers want to slaughter, they want you in a party

Have they said that? Because they chose a god awful genre to build a game in, if so. Seriously, let me count the ways I can interact with a party.

Auras
Body blocking

Did I miss any?

No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
Last edited by b15h09 on May 12, 2015, 4:56:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info