Lightning Tendrils

I am a little disappointed with this skill. You need to stand still for a lot of time which is bad. Also it feels like a lightning version of Incinerate, with incinerate actually having larger aoe.

Also I totally don't get why we got another int skill.
- I didn't say half the shit people quote from me - Albert Einstein
"
soul4hdwn wrote:

if caster's hp is relatively high, then doesn't quite matter how strong or fast the hits are, the leeches are near instant. if cast speed was enough for 10 hits per second, healing 5 damage each hit, it might as well be life gain on hit, every hit is going to count/work. the issue only comes into play if the damage is TOO high and the hits/sex is more than one a second.

I understand what you are saying. The issue was never that the hits would not work, just the rate at which they would work.

1000 life
1 hit/sec, 1000 damage per hit, 5% leech = 50 life per .25 secs
10 hit/sec, 100 damage per hit, 5% leech = 5 life per .025 secs, 50 life per .25 secs

1000 life
1 hit/sec, 1000 damage per hit, 20% leech = 200 life per sec
10 hit/sec, 100 damage per hit, 20% leech = 20 life per .1 secs, 200 life per sec

500 life
1 hit/sec, 3000 damage per hit, 5% leech = 100 life per sec, 150 life per 1.5 sec
10 hit/sec, 300 damage per hit, 5% leech = 15 life per .15 secs, 150 life per 1.5 sec

Assuming I did my maths correctly, I can see where my mistake was.

Would stun influence this though? (channeled skill is definitely subject to stun)
It is hard for me to imagine; and I am not even sure what attack time would be appropriate to use.

The theory being, because the large hit will be providing leech for the duration of leech recovery; it would not be effected by the dps loss.

The small hit will leech depending entirely on the dps; the amount leeched would decrease based on the dps loss.

*Thanks for explaining things to me. The wiki was a bit misleading on this subject in my opinion.*

<3 Free Tibet <3
Sorry for the double post. Thinking about it some more, am I wrong in thinking it is most efficient (in terms of life leech) to keep your attacks close to factors of 4? For instance, .25 attacks/second, 2 attacks/second, 4 attacks/second. Avoiding for example 3 attacks/second.

*edit* so quality gem would probably mess this up. As would any leeched amount less than 5% of max life. or is it 20% who knows I am just rambling it seems.
<3 Free Tibet <3
Last edited by Opinionated on Oct 23, 2014, 5:10:54 PM
"
solistus wrote:

Life leech recovers life at a fixed rate based on your max life. It does not recover faster from big hits - it recovers at the same rate, it just lasts longer before it expires. Each hit that leeches life basically creates an invisible buff on your character that restores 20% of your life per second for X seconds, with the duration varying so that you recover the correct total amount of life from that hit. These buffs don't stack if you leech again before you finish recovering the life you leeched from a previous hit, but if you're dealing DPS at constant intervals then it doesn't really matter whether you do your DPS in big/slow hits or small/fast ones - if you're leeching enough that the buffs end up overlapping, you've basically capped out your life leech.

A lot of people seem to think the leech nerf made it bad on small hits, but that's a misinterpretation. It was a nerf to leeching off of AoE hits, because when you hit a bunch of stuff at the same time only the biggest single hit will leech anything. It can also end up being a bit less efficient than expected with multistrike or spell echo, since you're not attacking/casting at a constant rate - getting multiple hits with very short gaps between them, then a longer gap before the next set of multiple hits, is worse for leech than the same number of hits over the same length of time spaced out evenly - you could end up wasting leech due to overlap with each set of hits, then having the leech effect wear off briefly in between sets.

Thank you that actually answers both my questions.
<3 Free Tibet <3
"
http://youtu.be/aI7GDBCIuj0

There we go. FINALLY uploaded. Yay Australian internet.

I guess not but aren't you just out of range on the video ? Having a hard time seeing what you try to show actually.
In this scenario you're showing, if i press /oos again after casting i'm going back a few meters nearly each time. The simple fact to cast the skill seems to desync us.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
"
Shouldn't the spell/skill move a character into range to cast by default?

I.E. it detects how close you have to be to hit. If this weren't the case, then all spell-casting would function as though we're holding shift, wouldn't it?

If I moved around and tried it again, my character dutifully moved into sufficient range, cast the spell and dealt the appropriate damage. Against the same totem.

Regarding what you're saying, I've tried using /oos after significant usage and there doesn't seem to be consistent desync incurred by the skill itself. One time I saw an actual rubberbanding, but that was just the once.

BUT I can do a single Normal ledge run and encounter multiple examples of what I've illustrated in the video. Ledge is a good place to test since it has a lot of stationary targets: archers, totems.

Lightning Tendrils appears to have genuine collision detection problems.

Maybe your /oos was on cool down?

I just did a test against Hillock; knock back gem while holding shift. Hillock would "teleport", one time even ending up behind me.

I don't know the technical reasons for these things but I have experienced the same thing as you on a different stationary monster.

Did you try clicking multiple times instead of uninterrupted casting?
<3 Free Tibet <3
Last edited by Opinionated on Oct 23, 2014, 6:36:37 PM
I can't say i'm 100% true everytime i call desync, but so far, i never had so many weird stuff happening than with this skill.

For exemple, you channel the spell on a pack, all seems all right, but suddenly some mobs inside the packs stop being hit even if it looks like they're all packed inside the cone. Hitting /oos at this point results in a huge rubberbanding even tho it didn't seem desynced or w/e when i started the fight.

It's also weird it seems that this skill sometimes "keeps in memory" the desync from previous packs. You finish a mob group, run to another, or even wait between them and the next one sometimes doesn't even aggro you simply because you're out of sync from previous pack for like the last 15 seconds or more. Hitting /oos at this moment once agin results in a huge rubberbanding.

Hard to explain i would have to do videos but i'm super lazy. All i say is that after so many hours played i'm now used to desync and know what's going on most of the time. But i never had such weird behaviour than with tendrils. Closest camparison i have would be facebreaker build pumping the air even with RT keystone.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
Last edited by Kagari on Oct 23, 2014, 7:06:18 PM
Alright since I was completely wrong about life leech I decided to change plans. :)

Currently I have LT - Conc Effect - Life Leech - Lightning Pen

My aoe is arc + herald of thunder.

LT is actually doing a pretty solid amount of damage (no crit). I am worried about the channel effect when it comes to the heavy hitting bosses like Dominus and Vaal. I am still in the process of leveling the gem so have not had the chance to try end game (getting close).

Still would like to know if each of the 4 hits does the same amount of damage.

So if you pay attention you have enough time to dodge 1 hit attacks, but it is very close. Add in fleet and there is no chance though. I also gave it a quick run with a crit character, the damage was there but sooo streaky.
<3 Free Tibet <3
Last edited by Opinionated on Oct 23, 2014, 11:56:55 PM
Put it simple, why Lightning Tendrils is bad is due to three things.

1. Desyne. This is the most serious issue. With desyne, you can't hit the mods even if you get 1M dps.

2. AoE is so small. I have found a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTNJoqyM5S4
That guy has at least 60% increased AoE (40% from passive, 20% from Carass Jack). But his Lightning Tendrils is still too small.

3. Sound weak.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
It is better to split LT into a single-wave skill like Incinerate -

Lightning Tendril(s)
0.2 sec cast time
4-98 lightning damage at lvl20

Two-handed - Mop
Dual Wield - Slippers
One-handed & Shield (close combat) - Brush & Basin
One-handed & Shield (ranged) - Hair Dryer & Mirror
Main-hand & Off-hand (evil witch) - Sponge & Soap

Report Forum Post