[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hello

Thanks for a great guide, this is my first high lvl character, and i absolutely love the build. If anyone out there has the time, i would like to get some tips on what to improve. Ive been trying to do objectives on the atlas and am currently 77/126, but i would like to push for the bosses in the center.

I am currently lvl 84 and this is the gear i have atm:

Spoiler

Im abit unsure about wether Scaeva (which gives me more tooltip DPS) or Bino's (which feels faster in clearing maps, but seems really hard to get 3 red sockets for) is the better option atm. Or should i just save and buy a high phys 1h dps? (I see in other reply's that i can be hard to know when to swap).

I'm aware that my gloves need better defenses, and that i lack quality on some gems.

Also, in my hideout i have 70% chance to block attacks and 68% for spells. My blade flurry tooltip dps unbuffed is 6386 with Scaeve and 5900 with Bino's.

I have around 220 chaos orbs worth of currency, what should i focus on upgrading? is there anything im strongly lacking?

Thanks again for a great guide, its been very helpful (:

"
Raphiron wrote:
Hello

Thanks for a great guide, this is my first high lvl character, and i absolutely love the build. If anyone out there has the time, i would like to get some tips on what to improve. Ive been trying to do objectives on the atlas and am currently 77/126, but i would like to push for the bosses in the center.

I am currently lvl 84 and this is the gear i have atm:

Spoiler

Im abit unsure about wether Scaeva (which gives me more tooltip DPS) or Bino's (which feels faster in clearing maps, but seems really hard to get 3 red sockets for) is the better option atm. Or should i just save and buy a high phys 1h dps? (I see in other reply's that i can be hard to know when to swap).

I'm aware that my gloves need better defenses, and that i lack quality on some gems.

Also, in my hideout i have 70% chance to block attacks and 68% for spells. My blade flurry tooltip dps unbuffed is 6386 with Scaeve and 5900 with Bino's.

I have around 220 chaos orbs worth of currency, what should i focus on upgrading? is there anything im strongly lacking?

Thanks again for a great guide, its been very helpful (:

I prefer the Scaeva over the bino's. But thats a personal choice (i just like swords :)). The Socket bonus on the Scaeva is also a nice boost to defense.

Right now i'm able to do tier 14 maps pretty easy (with the setup i posted a few posts back).
You will notice your lacking abit of DPS once you get into the higher tiers, i'd say try and get your block overcapped to be able to respec some points in DPS nodes.

Also if you stay with the Scaeva, make sure to take the sword passive wheel posted in the opening post by Sovyn.
"
Raphiron wrote:

Bino's will crit just a little bit more which is beneficial with inquisitor.

However I am using Scaeva myself with the optional sword nodes. It is probably best. hard to say, of course. The calculated dps is just so much more with the sword.

If you use bino's just use whirling blades (green gem) for movement, it is probably best anyway. Easier to get the socket colors.

You could get 4% block lazhwar and some 1 block/1 spell block jewels for cheap which would benefit you. Keep an eye out for spell block corrupted aegis too.

"
Sovyn wrote:

Bino's will crit just a little bit more which is beneficial with inquisitor.

However I am using Scaeva myself with the optional sword nodes. It is probably best. hard to say, of course. The calculated dps is just so much more with the sword.

If you use bino's just use whirling blades (green gem) for movement, it is probably best anyway. Easier to get the socket colors.

You could get 4% block lazhwar and some 1 block/1 spell block jewels for cheap which would benefit you. Keep an eye out for spell block corrupted aegis too.

I want your opinion on my current tree / gear, could u maybe check it out?

Spoiler

7.1k tooltip DPS in HO without buffs
16.7k Tooltip DPS in HO with (Flasks, Warchief totem, Ice golem & Hatred / HoA)

With that:

Resist capped
Block Chance 72% / Spell block 75% (Tempest shield puts it at 75/75)
5189 life
Warchief tooltip is at 50k DPS aswell.

Thinking about losing the Area damage nodes in the templar area to get to 75/75 Block permanent.
That way i can ditch Tempest Shield and find something else.

Also thinking about taking the 20% Decreased damage taken from critical strike nodes (swap them for some DPS nodes) to counter the side effect of the Reckless defense jewels.

The way i'm playing it isnt as "Lazy" as you build it, but everytime i made a maxblock tree myself, i found my tree looks just like yours.

Edit:

Just completed lair of the phoenix (No mods, just white map) just to test if i can do some damage to him with this setup, well i did, he died pretty quickly.

Died 2 times due to trying to facetank all his hits.

Normal Atziri is just a walk in the park, can't get easier.
T15 Core Rare corrupted done aswell, wasn't that hard either.
"

I understand why you made the decisions that you did, with abyssus without Lightning coil, with multiple reckless defense jewels instead of rainbowstride, but I wouldn't do it that way.

I also understand the logic with Indomitable instead of Amplify, but I think that is an even worse decision. The node sounds good but is of limited effectiveness. Amplify has benefits in clear speed not shown on the tooltip.

Retaliation is top tier as well and I would question the choice of heart of the oak or the extra jewel socket taken instead of that.

None of the choices you have made are bad, however. I just wouldn't do it that way.

I would venture a guess that your build is slightly less tanky overall than the guide build.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"

I understand why you made the decisions that you did, with abyssus without Lightning coil, with multiple reckless defense jewels instead of rainbowstride, but I wouldn't do it that way.

I also understand the logic with Indomitable instead of Amplify, but I think that is an even worse decision. The node sounds good but is of limited effectiveness. Amplify has benefits in clear speed not shown on the tooltip.

Retaliation is top tier as well and I would question the choice of heart of the oak or the extra jewel socket taken instead of that.

None of the choices you have made are bad, however. I just wouldn't do it that way.

I would venture a guess that your build is slightly less tanky overall than the guide build.

With my current DPS, i could switch out Phys to Lightning easier for Increase AoE.
Heart of Oak im still not sure about, with those points towards that i could've gotten 2% extra life.
The choice for the jewel socket was made because it was 1 point away, i had to take those resistance nodes because with the amount of unique's its getting hard to get resist capped (with lightning coil i think it will get way to expensive & ill lose a good chunk of life).

In that jewel socket i got another 7% life jewel and the DPS on that jewel are a nice bonus.

Its abit less tanky vs. Phys damage, but the surrender also gives a big boost to armour & ofcourse the 250HP on block is nice.

You'd be suprised how much it can still take even though the Abyssus downsides are bad. :)

Thanks for your reply.
"
You'd be suprised how much it can still take even though the Abyssus downsides are bad. :)

Yes, I have run abyssus sans lightning coil / purity of lightning and it was fine most of the time. Certainly the kill speed is good. I did seem to take massive physical hits on occasion, so it wouldn't be recommended for most people for general use. Also you can't really use blood rage at all with it which is a substantial DPS loss, albeit not constant like abyssus. So, pros and cons.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"

Yes, I have run abyssus sans lightning coil / purity of lightning and it was fine most of the time. Certainly the kill speed is good. I did seem to take massive physical hits on occasion, so it wouldn't be recommended for most people for general use. Also you can't really use blood rage at all with it which is a substantial DPS loss, albeit not constant like abyssus. So, pros and cons.

The thing i hate about Templar is we gotta sacrifice alot to reach max spellblock, our Guardian ascendancy isn't really viable to be tanky & solo maps.

Comparing that to the other ascendancy's that get either 100% of normal block to spellblock or the fortify bonuses.

Don't you think there would be a way to get more DPS by focusing on pure elemental damage vs. Physical damage as a Templar while getting the same amount of defenses?

Or

Using a Physical Claw & Respecing the regular damage nodes (Strong Arm, Weapon Artistry & Aspect of the Lynx) to travel to the Claw Nodes on the right side of the tree (That way you will still pickup the crit nodes / Possibly the 20% Life nodes).

You will get:

Increased charge duration, chance to steal charges, extra life leech & increased Life leech per second + alot of crit.
"
The thing i hate about Templar is we gotta sacrifice alot to reach max spellblock, our Guardian ascendancy isn't really viable to be tanky & solo maps.

Comparing that to the other ascendancy's that get either 100% of normal block to spellblock or the fortify bonuses.

Don't you think there would be a way to get more DPS by focusing on pure elemental damage vs. Physical damage as a Templar while getting the same amount of defenses?

I don't think an amulet, boots and a jewel is a sacrifice, those uniques have other perks too.

Basically we get the offense from ascendancy and some of the defense from gear, guardian gets the defense from ascendancy and a bit more life from gear, minor. Clear speed would be a bit better on inquistor. The faster stuff dies, the safer you are. There's a balance there, of course.

Elemental damage nodes don't scale damage very well as they are additive, not multiplicative. The way to get real damage is to scale physical with the additive bonuses then convert some to elemental and multiply that, which is what the build does.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"

I don't think an amulet, boots and a jewel is a sacrifice, those uniques have other perks too.

Basically we get the offense from ascendancy and some of the defense from gear, guardian gets the defense from ascendancy and a bit more life from gear, minor. Clear speed would be a bit better on inquistor. The faster stuff dies, the safer you are. There's a balance there, of course.

Elemental damage nodes don't scale damage very well as they are additive, not multiplicative. The way to get real damage is to scale physical with the additive bonuses then convert some to elemental and multiply that, which is what the build does.

Well the amulet, all it really does for us is the spellblock, without we could've gone for flat phys damage & weapon elemental damage possibly some life / resists.

For the jewel we are receiving extra damage, while as a tank your trying to decrease it (This could be used for a few extra K DPS / Extra life/ES.

The boots... meh i just don't like the look on them :).

What would your tree look like as a Guardian, since we get a free 5% block from the ascendancy (the 50% extra block every 5 seconds is useless when your block capped)?

Have you tried Uber-Atziri / Guardians yet on your premium setup?
Also what is the reason you didn't take "Winter Spirit" on the tree? That's another 7k DPS thats converted to cold.

Sorry for all these questions, i just like discussing this build :).

Currently working on a Guardian Tank build using your guide as a template.

Goal is to get to 50k DPS ~ Earthquake / Sunder (PoBuilder)
5k+ Life (150% life from tree)
1k+ ES
Max block
Max resists

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info