RNG-free race

Just an idea to chew on:

- Descent-style, no-turning back zones.
- Mobs drop nothing. No chests or barrels.
- A Descent-style chest at the beginning of every zone. Support weapon progression with a selection of weapons every few zones, plus gear, gems, flasks, etc. They don't have to be unique items, fixed rares will do. No crafting at all. Maybe just regret orbs and Mirrors. (Feeds Void league of course)
- Fixed layouts. Fixed mobs. Blue packs only in the 4 corners of each zone. Unique boss at each end. Maybe the unique boss drops fixed loot, or a skill book.
- Ideally GGG would publish the contents of all of the chests to support theorycrafting, and the zone layouts.
- Make it twice as many zones as Descent, 1 hour duration. At least long enough that no one will ever finish it all.

There! No RNG whatsoever to whine about (except combat I guess). Fastest racer wins. Would this make a good new race type? Discuss.
No ability to reset zones is bad. I prefer el-style, maphackers cant dominate there.
Anyways it worth to at least try this for test purposes and feedback. The in-between season would be nice. Sad part that it will never happen.
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
A no-rng race mode or two would be great. Wasnt much love for the idea among racing regulars the last couple times i brought it up, but enough seasons of being fucked by rogue exiles, shrines, corrupt zones, drop droughts, pack density and maphack should eventually change that, if it hasnt already.
IGN: KoTao
If there's nothing to whine about, then how can it be fun?

We need excuses for when we lose!!!1
[quote="Hilbert"]
CT should be around the art of PKing and not griefing lower levels.
[/quote]
http://www.twitch.tv/zoroxo123
"
ZoRoXo wrote:

let me try..

#flameblast #justshadowthings #balance #packsize #swordsop #wheresthelightningres
You forgot about side quests
http://www.twitch.tv/comewithus

Posted by Chris on February 4, 2014 1:51 AM
"When we mass-ban people for running these tools, don't say you weren't warned :P"
"
cwu wrote:
You forgot about side quests

No RNG there, I always win those lololololol
"
- Descent-style, no-turning back zones.

EL is better.

"
A Descent-style chest at the beginning of every zone. Support weapon progression with a selection of weapons every few zones, plus gear, gems, flasks, etc. They don't have to be unique items, fixed rares will do. No crafting at all. Maybe just regret orbs and Mirrors. (Feeds Void league of course)

Rares = RNG

No RNG = Whites with or without quality and white max links.

"
If there's nothing to whine about, then how can it be fun?

"Europe is down again damn Servers..."

Good excuse?

"
No RNG there, I always win those lololololol

You win those because nobody who was doing them is playing.

Heavy competition there.

Pls name race Final Destination.
"
jstq wrote:
No ability to reset zones is bad. I prefer el-style, maphackers cant dominate there.

EL straight-line zones are so BORING though! Mazes with the full map revealed would be a lot better. This would also allow for strategic placement of the blue and rare (see below) mobs in each zone, instead of just dumping them all along one path.

It terms of the mob type RNG that EL is notorious for, you wouldn't want too much of that (or perhaps any) either - that's why I was thinking 20 or so fixed-design zones ala Descent would work better than infinite, randomly-generated ones ala EL.

While I'm on the subject of zones, you would probably want some opportunities to select parallel zones along the way like in Descent Champs. There should be as many non-rng-based decisions to make as possible.

"
Hilbert wrote:
Rares = RNG

If you mean rare mobs, yeah i didn't consider those. Put a few in the middle of each zone I guess. So blue packs out of the way in the corners, rare(s) in the middle, whites everywhere. Max 1 rare aura per zone perhaps?

If you're talking about rare items, that's why I used the word "fixed". Everyone would have to get the same 60% ipd tribal maul, 2-4 phys damage topaz ring, 15% MS boots, etc. Basically the same idea as the Descent uniques, but there would be no reason for GGG to waste time conceiving a zillion new mediocre uniques for this one race.

Anyway this is all moot since nothing like this will ever happen and I wouldn't expect it to - way too much work for GGG to deliberately design EVERY aspect of a race, and would probably get quite boring after 10 runs. This idea was just meant to stimulate discussion. Would such a race even be considered part of the ARPG genre anymore?

"
Kheffin wrote:
Pls name race Final Destination.

Sure... although, I don't get where you're coming from. That horror movie franchise?
Last edited by Fightgarr on Jul 1, 2014, 2:26:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info