Temporary league features coming to the core game

"Nemesis mods will start to occasionally spawn on rare monsters in the core game. When a rare monster spawns, there's a percentage chance that it receives a Nemesis mod. It will still be in addition to prefixes and suffixes. Some Nemesis mods will be adjusted, removed, or transformed into a regular prefix or suffix.

Shrines will be added to the core game. They will not spawn as frequently as in the Domination league and some may be rebalanced."

I would like to start by saying i like the idea of adding these to the core game. Increases variety and its just more fun.

That being said, there are a few things i don't like:
. Volatile does way too much damage and if you factor in map/mob mods its just insane specially for true (no ST bullshit) melee chars.
. Storm Herald does too much damage and in most cases I just skip them.
. Bringer of Bones and Camouflaged Predator are just annoying.
. I like hexfont but i absolutely hate the Silence curse. For a caster, having to sit around doing nothing for 10! seconds is just stupid specially when lvling up since you usually don't have curse removal pots. Imagine if there was an equivalent curse for attacks...this curse just blows my mind.

I didnt play with Shrines that much, but most of them seemed ok to me.

With that out of the way, we need to consider what these changes will do to racing.
I think, just like with the "Rogue Exiles", both Nemesis mods and Shrines need to stay out of Signature races. Not sure about competitive races.

The reasons for that are the same as Rogue Exiles. Meeting an exile early on might end your race right away or if its an easy exile and you are not a witch, you might get a huge boost and an insane run snowballing from there.
Even if you meet an exile later on, if you cant kill it, you will probably skip an entire zone worth of mobs just because their aggro range is ridiculous and its very hard to lose them without decoy totem or some other toys.
Also, exiles with bosses are always "fun" for non STers.

I feel Nemesis/Shrines have the same potential to be game-breaking enough that they shouldn't exist in Signature races.
Most shrines (acceleration, diamond, etc) when tagged at the start of a zone will give an insane boost and if you tag a shrine at the end of upper, anger, pyramid, etc. it will carry over to the boss fight.
Some nemesis mod rares you absolutely have to skip them. Although i don't think it is as game-breaking as shrines or exiles i also think they should stay out.

tldr:

Signature races: No
Competitive races: Maybe
Fun races: Whatever
Last edited by tagpt on Feb 13, 2014, 8:49:23 AM
"
. Volatile does way too much damage and if you factor in map/mob mods its just insane specially for true (no ST bullshit) melee chars.

Agreed

"
Storm Herald does too much damage and in most cases I just skip them.

Only if you don't move 3-4 storms will stack on you.

"
I didnt play with Shrines that much, but most of them seemed ok to me.

They don't offer anything interesting to the game.

It's a failed D1/D2 copy.
Some shrines just fuck around with your FPS.

"
I think, just like with the "Rogue Exiles", both Nemesis mods and Shrines need to stay out of Signature races. Not sure about competitive races.

I don't think nemesis mods but inner treasure will affect races and I predict this mod will be removed.

"
The reasons for that are the same as Rogue Exiles. Meeting an exile early on might end your race right away or if its an easy exile and you are not a witch, you might get a huge boost and an insane run snowballing from there.
Even if you meet an exile later on, if you cant kill it, you will probably skip an entire zone worth of mobs just because their aggro range is ridiculous and its very hard to lose them without decoy totem or some other toys.
Also, exiles with bosses are always "fun" for non STers.

Xandro isn't fun for anybody! He will end your race early on.

Exile races without Xandro? OK.
With him->Hell no!

Inner Treasure and Storm Herald likely wouldn't effect races much anyway considering they both require monster level 40. Though I would agree with the points brought up on other Nemesis mods.
If inner Treasure would spawn at level 1 it would heavily affect racing because limbsplit and Shiversting are instant win weapons.
Please do NOT put shrines + nem mods in races. This will just offer more "bad luck / bad rng" situations or lucky spawns.. A lot of imbalance here.
"
terrex wrote:
Please do NOT put shrines + nem mods in races. This will just offer more "bad luck / bad rng" situations or lucky spawns.. A lot of imbalance here.

Personally i like normal races to mirror the actual game. It seems strange to me to have a 3 hour normal race, yet not be able to have exiles (or nemesis/shrines when the time comes). Initially races were a copy of the actual game. Now what are we racing in? A version of the game that doesn't even exist anywhere else.

Come to think of it, is there even a single race mode that mirrors the actual game anymore, aside from 1 week races? I can't think of a single one. AFAIK 12min bursts don't spawn exiles? Do regular 1 hour races spawn them?

I'm ok with removing exiles/shrines/nemesis mods in any atypical modes, e.g. fixed seed, turbo, immolation, ancestral, multiproj, no proj, fracturing, BLAMT, endless ledge, descents, etc. Though i think they would be fine to use in all F.Fun races, and leave out of C.Competitive and S.Signatures.
account number 3
"
unsane3 wrote:
"
terrex wrote:

Personally i like normal races to mirror the actual game. It seems strange to me to have a 3 hour normal race, yet not be able to have exiles (or nemesis/shrines when the time comes). Initially races were a copy of the actual game. Now what are we racing in? A version of the game that doesn't even exist anywhere else.

Come to think of it, is there even a single race mode that mirrors the actual game anymore, aside from 1 week races? I can't think of a single one. AFAIK 12min bursts don't spawn exiles? Do regular 1 hour races spawn them?

I'm ok with removing exiles/shrines/nemesis mods in any atypical modes, e.g. fixed seed, turbo, immolation, ancestral, multiproj, no proj, fracturing, BLAMT, endless ledge, descents, etc. Though i think they would be fine to use in all F.Fun races, and leave out of C.Competitive and S.Signatures.

It's just another factor to leave to good luck / bad luck, getting speed shrines early on in some areas will cut minutes off. I wouldn't mind it in non competitive races but for competitive ones I really don't see it being fit.
Exiles still spawn in non competitive events. Itll likely be the same for nemesis mods and shrines.
IGN: KoTao

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info