GGG, please use skill metrics and not time-skill metrics in races

OBJECTIVE: To derive "skill-metrics" used in determining race winners by a means that does NOT reward time-input in order to give a wider range of players access to rewards and other race benefits. That is, finding a "pure skill-metric" as opposed to the currently implemented "most XP" which is a time-skill metric that rewards those who play the most over the majority of the playerbase.

-------------------

The current metric used in all races is the standard "most exp earned." This is, obviously, a time-based metric with some skill-elements involved. However, as is obvious, for any race that is longer than a single play session, those who can devote extraneous hours to the game have an innate advantage over the "average" or "casual" players.

Now the question is, what is "skill" when it comes to a game like PoE?

The current metric, very generally, measures skill by means of "how long" one plays (that is, the more you play the better you are considered) and "how efficient" one plays (that is, in the same amount of time as another player, how much more exp can you generate).

I would like to suggest other viable skill-based metrics. In other words, remove the time-elements from the current race metrics to give players across the board a chance to display skills in certain areas without necessarily having to devote extreme numbers of hours to the game.

Some suggestions for possible race metrics:

-"Time to level X": who was the fastest player to reach level X? (Player start times would be irrelevant here as long as all players had sufficient time to play within the duration of the race; I believe this resolves other scheduling problems as well)

-"Time from level X to level Y": For example, who can get from level 10 to level 20 (or level 30 to 45, etc) the fastest? These numbers can be varied to change the number of passive nodes players have accessible within the 'tested' level range.

-"Fastest EXP/Time @ level X": All players are/stay at a certain level without leveling. Whoever can generate the fastest EXP/Time (for example fastest exp/minute, exp/30min, etc) wins.

-"First to accomplish X objective": Give a reward for players who are the first to reach a certain area or complete a certain quest. However, limit this to 1 reward per player so that if a certain player is the first to reach 2 or more areas, he only wins 1 prize and the subsequent areas prizes are given to the next fastest finishers.

Many more are possible, just getting the ball rolling.
I don't think this belongs in this sub-forum. Races are generally short-term events (1-3 hours).

What you are talking about here makes absolutely no sense.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
they should implement some progression races where the group whos progressed the furthest wins, ties go to first in the zone. it would inspire more risk and competition between groups, rather than getting to safe zone X and farming for the remaining of the race.
Last edited by SmallD on Dec 27, 2013, 4:41:53 AM
I think he is talking about 1 weekers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info