Open World FFA PvP Instance (D2 Inspired)

Hi guys,

Firstly, great news on patch 1.0.0. I am very much anticipating its release and am very excited.

However, in regards to PvP, I am wondering how likely would it be to add an additional PvP instance which is similar to Diablo 2. D2 consumed so much of my time and one of the most enjoyable memories I remember was watching the duels take place in Act 1 just outside of Town. Although I mainly wasn't taking part in the duels (as I knew I would get slaughtered :p) it was great to just stand there and observe the duels (vampire gaze wearing spear amazons comes into mind). Also if did dear choose to go out of the 'safe-zone' and into the carnage I knew I could freely be a part of it.

The great thing was this type of PvP style was not restricted by any set rules or goals (which the new PvP modes have incorporated). It was basically an area where people would gather, watch, and if so choose to take part in the anarchy (do I see ears everywhere?). The freedom of it was plain fun.

Given the way PoE mechanics work, I am not sure how feasible it would to have the same area outside Act 1 such as D2 did. What I was thinking was maybe a separate instance similar to that of the Eternal Laboratory where players could join initially starting in the 'safe-zone' and if so choose step into the arena so to speak.

What do you guys think? Is this something that we can see in the future or I have strapped on my nostalgia goggles too tightly.

Nonetheless, I really enjoy Path of Exile and it would be great to see what other features the devs bring in the future. Thank you and apologies if this topic has already been discussed.

Edit: Apologies as I can see similar threads have covered this :/

Last edited by Robbed on Oct 13, 2013, 8:29:29 AM
They have suggested they are not interested. I wish they were more open minded however. Open world PvP facilitates community development around PvP and allows novel community enforced gametypes to develop. If any of those gametypes become popular enough they may be requested into PvP proper. An analogous relationship could be Halo 3 and its custom gametypes whch made their way into matchmaking.

An obvious example from Diablo 2 is low level dueling. It wasn't just u28 like Path of Exile, it could be U18 or U60, it depended on the sensibilities of the community. And it's a lot easier for the community to discover interesting PvP niches than to expect an overworked GGG to do so.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info